ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #1831
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Select the track then go to File, Export.
I did that and it worked as you instructed,but when I drag one of the gps files from my mac desktop into my external hardrive-still NO go??!!!
What am I missing???
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #1832
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I did that and it worked as you instructed,but when I drag one of the gps files from my mac desktop into my external hardrive-still NO go??!!!
What am I missing???
Can you drag a "regular" to your external hard drive? Have you ever used this external hard drive with your Mac before? This does not sound like a Basecamp problem, especially if Basecamp successfully exported the file to your desktop.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1833
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
Sounds like the disk is NTFS-formatted, in which case windows can read/write to it but Mac mounts it read-only. There's tools to make it writeable.

Dunno if it's like Parallels, but i'd set up a shared folder that mounts like a network or mass storage drive, then export it to that.

Or export it to any FAT32-formatted disk (USB drive, etc).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #1834
leftystrat62
Adventurer

O'k,so I think I may have transferred pics and music from my mac into my external hard drive( I know I did it with my windows computer),but am not certain. I just successfully down loaded the gps tracks onto a cd disc and then tried to transfer these into my external hard drive-still no go. Any other ideas-thank you for your patience all.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #1835
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
Any other ideas-thank you for your patience all.
Click once on the icon for your external drive. Hit CMD-I. A window will pop up with some info. In the "General" box will be a line that says

"Format: ???????".

What is the ??????? on your drive? Without knowing that we can't help you much.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #1836
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
O'k,so I think I may have transferred pics and music from my mac into my external hard drive( I know I did it with my windows computer),but am not certain. I just successfully down loaded the gps tracks onto a cd disc and then tried to transfer these into my external hard drive-still no go. Any other ideas-thank you for your patience all.
I suspect you transferred them with Windows and as SnowMule mentioned, the drive is formatted as NTFS, which cannot be written on a Mac without additional software. I'd second the suggestion to use a USB thumb drive between Windows and a Mac.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #1837
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Click once on the icon for your external drive. Hit CMD-I. A window will pop up with some info. In the "General" box will be a line that says

"Format: ???????".

What is the ??????? on your drive? Without knowing that we can't help you much.
The format is: Windows NT File System (NTFS)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #1838
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The format is: Windows NT File System (NTFS)
Bingo. You cannot write to that disk format from a Mac without buying additional software. Ether reformat the drive as FAT32 or use a USB thumb drive.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #1839
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,741
Or, if you are only going to use the drive on a Mac, format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Keep in mind that you lose all information currently on the drive when you format. Back up anything you want to save, first. To format the drive run Disk Utility.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #1840
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Bingo. You cannot write to that disk format from a Mac without buying additional software. Ether reformat the drive as FAT32 or use a USB thumb drive.
Is it simple enough to reformat the drive as FAT32,if I do that will that restrict me from only using it with my mac and not my computer with windows? If I do reformat it will I be able to view the rest of the info already on it from either my mac or PC? If I decide to leave that HD as is,I'd like to get another one for my mac,will that mean once I use it -it will then only work with my mac? In the mean time I'll certainly buy a thumb drive. Aside from the storage capacity-are they all pretty much equal? Thanks for all the help from everyone-lot's to learn with computers.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #1841
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Is it simple enough to reformat the drive as FAT32,if I do that will that restrict me from only using it with my mac and not my computer with windows? If I do reformat it will I be able to view the rest of the info already on it from either my mac or PC? If I decide to leave that HD as is,I'd like to get another one for my mac,will that mean once I use it -it will then only work with my mac? In the mean time I'll certainly buy a thumb drive. Aside from the storage capacity-are they all pretty much equal? Thanks for all the help from everyone-lot's to learn with computers.
FAT32 will be readable, and writeable, by both the Windows machine and the Mac.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #1842
gavmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
......If I do reformat it will I be able to view the rest of the info already on it from either my mac or PC?
NO, If you reformat the disk you lose the info already on it.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #1843
gavmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
.... If I decide to leave that HD as is,I'd like to get another one for my mac,will that mean once I use it -it will then only work with my mac?
If you do get another HD and you format it as FAT32, you will be able to use it on both Mac & Windows. If you format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) you will only be able to use it on Mac, not Windows.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #1844
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmac View Post
If you do get another HD and you format it as FAT32, you will be able to use it on both Mac & Windows. If you format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) you will only be able to use it on Mac, not Windows.
So if I buy a new HD and plug it into my mac-will it ask me how I want to format it: FAT32 or Mac OS Extended? I'd certainly like to use it between both computers if necessary so FAT32 seems like the better option.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #1845
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,076
Quote:
So if I buy a new HD and plug it into my mac-will it ask me how I want to format it: FAT32 or Mac OS Extended? I'd certainly like to use it between both computers if necessary so FAT32 seems like the better option.
Most come formated FAT32, and you can format them using either filesystem using the Disk Utility (Apps/Utility folder).

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote