Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #11281
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
You can see Schizzman and Jimmex at about the one minute mark into the video.

"Go Full Screen"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #11282
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You can see Schizzman and Jimmex at about the one minute mark into the video.

"Go Full Screen"
Where is.....
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #11283
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Trice, interesting video. There is a lesson right around the 1:38 to about 1:45 mark that I think is worth noting for anyone who might have missed it. You had to back off because of the reddish/brown pickup truck, and within a short distance the truck then moves left to avoid a patch of earth on the roadway, and coming at you is another vehicle. If someone had been in a hurry to stick to the first rider for whatever reason and tried to get by the pickup, they would have likely been squeezed.
Luckily, right at that stretch, the oncoming vehicle had some shoulder on their right and could have moved over, but a rider forcing the squeeze play would be leaving a dinner plate sized hickey on their bike seat.
The reason I mention this is that, more often than not, in the sierra people drive at a their pace and they know the roads and have driven them for a long period of time in different vehicles. These are the locals in cars and trucks and buses. They will swerve to avoid you but likely will try to brake first which can complicate things as they might not reach the little runoff area on the shoulder they might have. This is where things get complicated real fast and they will take you out rather than doing any kind of a dangerous swerve that would put them over the edge. They know what will happen. They are protected for the most part but you are looking at a head on collision or getting clipped on the front or side of your bike and you will be on the losing end. I know this because I have gotten lucky before and don't want to roll the dice, again. I just thought I would share it because when I was watching the video, I was watching it as if I was riding that particular bike and trying to pick up what was happening on the sides and as far ahead as possible.
Expect the unexpected at all times from locals, they will swerve for potholes etc... and do so at the worst time and right into your lane. If you are riding on your personal edge, and need to make a correction mid-corner, it is not always going to work out according to your Plan A it will only work out according to what the oncoming vehicle is doing. Mid-corner corrections on mountain roads with an irregular surface, or a little sand or gravel or donkey/goat/cow/sheep shit on them, are difficult at the best of times, it gets worse when you are over the "pace" and outside your limits.
Trice's risk management applies here just like in any other situation.
Thanks for the ride, Trice!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #11284
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 879
This is my calculation: About 98% of people driving are not paying attention to anything other than staying on the road - tunnel vision - and therefore can kill you. Another 1% isn't paying attention at all and can kill you. The last 1% is actively paying attention and is trying to kill you. Dispute the numbers if you like, adjust them for different locales but this is the math I use. The other calculation is the number of risk factors. Like traffic, road surface, speed, weather, fatigue, and the deep shadow versus bright sun in the road cuts, night riding, etc. Risks are not additive, they are multiplied. I can manage a few at a time but more than that , it is time to take a break. Bad roads; bad vehicles and bad drivers kill more people in Mexico every year than narco violence. Get there safe.

Saludos!
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #11285
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
This is my calculation: About 98% of people driving are not paying attention to anything other than staying on the road - tunnel vision - and therefore can kill you. Another 1% isn't paying attention at all and can kill you.
Heck, Mexico is much safer than Maine then. Around here it's the other way around . . . only 1% of people driving are not paying attention to anything other than staying on the road . . . most are texting their friends.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #11286
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
This is my calculation: About 98% of people driving are not paying attention to anything other than staying on the road - tunnel vision - and therefore can kill you. Another 1% isn't paying attention at all and can kill you. The last 1% is actively paying attention and is trying to kill you. Dispute the numbers if you like, adjust them for different locales but this is the math I use. The other calculation is the number of risk factors. Like traffic, road surface, speed, weather, fatigue, and the deep shadow versus bright sun in the road cuts, night riding, etc. Risks are not additive, they are multiplied. I can manage a few at a time but more than that , it is time to take a break. Bad roads; bad vehicles and bad drivers kill more people in Mexico every year than narco violence. Get there safe.

Saludos!
That sums it up about right, I think. When people shake their head at me for riding Mexico I tell them that the real dangers are traffic and road conditions. Unless you're in that certain business or are terminally stupid. For most CNN has already told them what to think of Mexico and who am I anyway?

Road signs are a great way to pick up a little Spanish lingo. "Grava Suelta" means "loose gravel".

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #11287
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Love the video., and you guys for how you lean the bikes ., not that i can't do it better but because I cant see my self

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That sums it up about right, I think. When people shake their head at me for riding Mexico I tell them that the real dangers are traffic and road conditions. Unless you're in that certain business or are terminally stupid. For most CNN has already told them what to think of Mexico and who am I anyway?

Road signs are a great way to pick up a little Spanish lingo. "Grava Suelta" means "loose gravel".
Schizz ., You should sue OXXO for stealing your avatar
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #11288
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
For most CNN has already told them what to think of Mexico and who am I anyway?
Reminds me of Groucho - "who are you going to believe, me of your own 2 eyes?"

My favorite sign is "Camino sin oso" - Road without a bear.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 11:41 AM
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #11289
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
My favorite sign is "Camino sin oso" - Road without a bear.

Or even worse, there is the infamous camino sin bar - road without a bar.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #11290
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I had moved the GoPro to the back of the bike just before Bob's biff.

What you don't see is his almost perfect flip.

We discussed for quite a long time the physics of how his speed/tragectory/road surface etc. could have made that happen.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #11291
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Indeed, in the clip above, one of the four kids (the one on the far right) is holding one of the playground balls I take to Mexico and hand out at various times.

That tradition will never end
Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #11292
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
It was your moving the camera that caused that accident.
You upset the natural order of the universe.
Like Steve Wright once said, "I found a light switch in my apartment that didn't seem to do anything when I turned it on and off, a lady from Germany called and told me to stop doing that".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #11293
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Where Steven Wright gets his material
Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #11294
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Where Steven Wright gets his material
"What's another word for thesaurus?" - S. Wright

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #11295
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Love the video., and you guys for how you lean the bikes ., not that i can't do it better but because I cant see my self
We're all afraid to lean over as far as you do, Amigo. Even with MedJet Assist.
Quote:
Schizz ., You should sue OXXO for stealing your avatar
They didn't steal it. They licensed it. Ever see me actually pay for anything at an Oxxo?

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:10 PM