Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #61
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It's amusing to watch the naysayers; it's reminiscent of the discussion when some inmates were alarmed to learn that Klim had shifted production of their riding gear overseas; predicting quality was going to nosedive etc.. It hasn't happened.

Maybe with Polaris' cash flow, Klim will expand their premium riding gear line and introduce street riding gear, much the same way Rukka has gone from only street riding gear and expanding to adventure gear... We'll see.. I'm optimistic.
That's my hope as well. Maybe they will develope a line for us warm weather riders. Something that vents well in 90* humid climates.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #62
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
That's my hope as well. Maybe they will develope a line for us warm weather riders. Something that vents well in 90* humid climates.
A mesh suit is in the works.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Adve...ket_p_830.html

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #63
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Three brands that, in my mind, haven't benefited from a move like this, The North Face...
Not to quibble... but I'm going to. TNF would be a faint memory if not for acquisition by and investments from venture capital groups that infused the 'brand' with cash while concentrating the efforts of management to deliver a viable long-term strategy.

Good products are one thing - but a 'parent' company can often help weather the ups and downs internally without interrupting the overall development & production of the brand. Sure Polaris is going to need their cut, but they bought into what they feel (and others may or may not agree with) is a sound brand and product line. Doubtful they will junk up a newly acquired income stream. Keeping the CEO is step 1... and they did. If they had other plans... they would have scrapped the whole operation right away and re-sold it bit by bit, squeezing every drop of cash out of it right away.

I don't see how a parent company or a new ownership structure would affect ones consideration of Klim gear. In my opinion, it should serve to strengthen it.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #64
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,684
+1, now that makes sense, not just a knee jerk reaction but reasoned logic.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #65
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I used to have a 2003 Polaris Predator 500, that thing was a beast. Borderline lethal. It was sporty, fast, simple and reliable.

My friend has a Victory, it seems better made, with more American parts than the Harleys. I don't necessarily see Polaris buying Klim as a bad thing, perhaps they'll move production back into the US. Still, there are quite a few other makers of quality gear if Klim diminishes.

I would actually like to see Polaris buy Motus, and perhaps move them to something below an estimated $30,000+ msrp. Though GE capital seems to be investing in them.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #66
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not to quibble... but I'm going to. TNF would be a faint memory if not for acquisition by and investments from venture capital groups that infused the 'brand' with cash while concentrating the efforts of management to deliver a viable long-term strategy.

Good products are one thing - but a 'parent' company can often help weather the ups and downs internally without interrupting the overall development & production of the brand. Sure Polaris is going to need their cut, but they bought into what they feel (and others may or may not agree with) is a sound brand and product line. Doubtful they will junk up a newly acquired income stream. Keeping the CEO is step 1... and they did. If they had other plans... they would have scrapped the whole operation right away and re-sold it bit by bit, squeezing every drop of cash out of it right away.

I don't see how a parent company or a new ownership structure would affect ones consideration of Klim gear. In my opinion, it should serve to strengthen it.
Doubtful. TNF was pretty innovative at the time. I still have the original TNF jacket that they put Gore-Tex™ in. It's absolutely bomb-proof. It really is something you would consider climbing a mountain in. It may not have been as big or as popular as it is now, but it's my opinion, it'd still be around. TNF is little more than a fashion brand, now.

Oh, trust me, they'll leave Klim alone for a little while, then they'll start creeping in. They'll start insisting they use another similar weight material for the non-abrasive areas because they can get it a little less expensively and it won't compromise the jacket in any way. They'll start using things like Hippora in a different line because it's less expensive than Gore-Tex™. They'll introduce that less expensive line to make the brand more "accessible" to other riders. Then they'll look at the sales of the Adventure Rally and decide that if they convert the production lines that are currently making the Adventure Rally over to another product, they can increase sales by some percentage. I've been present in meetings like this.

Can a larger company help a smaller one by taking it over, sure. Is it always good for the smaller company in the long run? Nope. The parent company is going to do what's best for the bottom line of the parent company and as long as that coincides with Klim's vision, they won't change it. When those ideas start to diverge, Klim's toast.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #67
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Doubtful. TNF was pretty innovative at the time. I still have the original TNF jacket that they put Gore-Tex™ in. It's absolutely bomb-proof. It really is something you would consider climbing a mountain in. It may not have been as big or as popular as it is now, but it's my opinion, it'd still be around. TNF is little more than a fashion brand, now.
Unfortunately being innovative is meaningless if the management is irresponsible and is looking for a big payout. TNF changed hands several times in the period just before VF bought them, including a brief bankruptcy if I remember correctly. In the late 90's they thought they were god's gift to the outdoors and set annual growth targets in the 20-30% range and then over produced. This lead to fun things like them dumping product in to SAMs Club or Costco one season. The owner of the business I worked for had to deal with TNF product being retailed for just few bucks over our cost because some dill hole in th Bay Area wanted to score big. He had been a TNF dealer since the early 70's and they fucked him.

I refer to Vanity Fair buying them as "when the adults were in charge again". Now they are a stable company with growing sales who deals fairly with their dealers. They still make cutting edge product, the production of which I subsidized by soccer mom's and frat boys buying endless numbers of over priced Denali Jackets.

If you do your research on most outdoor brands, even most of the hard core enthusiast brands you will find that they are now owned by a larger parent company. Some have let their soul, but smart buyers don't fuck with the goose thy lays the golden egg.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #68
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Oh, trust me, they'll leave Klim alone for a little while, then they'll start creeping in. They'll start insisting they use another similar weight material for the non-abrasive areas because they can get it a little less expensively and it won't compromise the jacket in any way. They'll start using things like Hippora in a different line because it's less expensive than Gore-Tex™. They'll introduce that less expensive line to make the brand more "accessible" to other riders. Then they'll look at the sales of the Adventure Rally and decide that if they convert the production lines that are currently making the Adventure Rally over to another product, they can increase sales by some percentage. I've been present in meetings like this.

Can a larger company help a smaller one by taking it over, sure. Is it always good for the smaller company in the long run? Nope. The parent company is going to do what's best for the bottom line of the parent company and as long as that coincides with Klim's vision, they won't change it. When those ideas start to diverge, Klim's toast.
What angers me the most about this post is that I 100% agree with it. I hope that we are both wrong.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #69
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
What angers me the most about this post is that I 100% agree with it. I hope that we are both wrong.
The best way to be wrong is to buy a controlling interest in Polaris stock. Xeraux nailed it. I wonder if there are any Polaris execs who are inmates here.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #70
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,998
so let's say good bye to klim. But I wanna know who's next to take klim's place in the market?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #71
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
so let's say good bye to klim. But I wanna know who's next to take klim's place in the market?
Ever heard of "Motorfist"?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #72
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
So everyone is already tossing the last shovel full of earth on the casket of Klim quality gear, writing them off on pure specualtion and prejudice. Does that crystal ball show you winning Power Ball #'s too ... didn't think so
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Dan, you cannot post enough. I love seeing your avatar all over the forum.

Hope Klim keeps putting out the good stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Thanks ... wish I could see more of whoever it is wearing those sexy panties. I could joke and say it's my wife but nobody would believe me
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #75
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
So everyone is already tossing the last shovel full of earth on the casket of Klim quality gear, writing them off on pure specualtion and prejudice. Does that crystal ball show you winning Power Ball #'s too ... didn't think so
How many of the naysayer armchair CEO's in this thread actually run a company the size of Klim, or know the details for the purchase agreement with Polaris, where the parent company will be looking for them to cut corners and go with cheaper materials and still charge a premium for their products to pad the bottom line?

If you look at the Klim line, they have riding jackets from $300 to $1400.. Price wise, they are competitive with a whole range of riding apparel companies. There's an outfit for every budget.

FOR ME, it is less expensive to buy quality gear that fits my needs and buy it once. I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece suit to commute to work every day. The suit is worn day in day out.. and it holds up very well to daily use, with very little if any signs of wear. I did try an outfit from another riding apparel vendor who shall remain nameless, and, after a few weeks, the black cordura started to fade, the inner liner started to go fuzzy, the neck area was pilly... You get what you pay and it's always cheaper to buy a quality item the first time. I am highly impressed with the build quality, attention to detail and design features of the Badlands Pro jacket. Dear Santa...

I see good things coming from this, and I'm not even an armchair CEO.