Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Take it easy, was actually written by Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey. The Eagles made it famous with Glenn Frey on vocals. The statue appears to be Jackson Browne. The store on the corner has a speaker mounted outside on the sidewalk. They play The Eagles all day long. Its a Flat Bed Ford. I have a thousand songs in my head that ive created lyrics for. I think its my way of personalizing the song to fit me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Anyway back to the ride.
I planned on riding straight through Texas, but the weather is good for December and I have lots of family throughout the state. I stopped to see one relative and I am now obligated to stick around for 4 days and visit every one within 300 miles? My last road trip was all about being with strangers and not seeing a familiar face for 2 months. This trip seems to be about visiting everyone I know that is in my line of travel. I guess im lucky to have family and friends that welcome me.
The roads are long and straight. There are a few sights to see, and the country side is beautiful. Its getting colder and Im hoping to be on the road tomorrow.
It looks like I may need to replace the back tire in Florida. I think the best way is to buy online and ship to a Florida address. Anybody in Florida with a tire changing station or a recommendation for a place that wont charge $50 bucks?

Texas twisties.

TinCrow screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 11:56 AM
TinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Say hi to the prairie dogs in Lubbock.

Prarie Dog Town. Wichita Falls, Texas.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrow View Post
Prarie Dog Town. Wichita Falls, Texas.

As a kid that was one of the highlights of a weekend, taking a trip out to Prairie Dog Town.

Now, they just remind me of the no-good, very-bad, garden-destroying ground squirrels that I'm at war with. I love my pellet rifle

Thanks for the updates and photos. The road is calling...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
whitey818
knob

Oddometer: 3
I am in Lake City,FL, where I-10 and I-75 cross. I can help with tire change and location to ship tire, if you are passing along this way, just PM me for address. I do all of mine by hand or take to a friend who has a hydraulic changing station if he is around.
Either way looking forward to more of your RR.
whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

I made it out of Texas as the weather became colder. It was a light rain through Texas, and then some heavier rain, thunder storms and lightning through Louisiana. I headed to Jackson for the night.
I rode North on The Natchez Trace the next day, The skies cleared up but the temps dropped. It was nice to get off the interstate. I finished the day in Tupelo, Mississippi. Birthplace of Elvis Presley.

From Tupelo I wandered South East on different junctions and back roads through Alabama. I got a bit lost, but ended up in Tuscaloosa. There were some really fun roads. I didnt have a map and my GPS is pretty much useless right now. so i was stopping at gas or general stores along the way for directions. I ended up heading to Atlanta via the interstate to finish off the eve. It is cold out there tonight, but ive got a warm house thanks to David, and I am in Georgia! Feels good to be so far from home. Im thinking Savanna tomorrow? The weather is looking grim. If any body has route recommendations from Savanna to Ft Lauder dale, or places of interest, let me know.

Reflections in a cypress swamp. Mississippi

A brief rest on Elvis's front porch. Tupelo, Mississippi
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey818 View Post
I am in Lake City,FL, where I-10 and I-75 cross. I can help with tire change and location to ship tire, if you are passing along this way, just PM me for address. I do all of mine by hand or take to a friend who has a hydraulic changing station if he is around.
Either way looking forward to more of your RR.

Thanks, I may do this after Christmas. Maybe around the 27th? Ill try to get a plan together and let you know what im up to. I really appreciate the offer.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

San Francisco, California - Savanna, Georgia (Tybee Island).
I have arrived! The east coast is at my feet. I stood in the mighty Atlantic and jumped for joy. Todays ride was a tough one and a fitting end to the first leg of this trip.
I started near Atlanta and managed to turn a 4.5 hour ride into an 8.5 hour ride. I took back roads and scenic byways through rural Georgia. I stopped a lot to take pictures and to chat with people. The challenge came mid ride as the rain started falling. It was a light rain through the back roads and then darkness fell upon the state of Georgia. I was still 2.5 hours out from Savanna. I decided to get off the back roads and get on the main highway as it was night and I couldnt see the sights anyways. I was starting to get wet through my many layers, so I picked up the pace and headed due East. I passed a police officer as he was going the opposite direction. I was speeding, not too much but defiantly speeding. He didnt turn around and I kept up the pace. I was actually so wet and cold it was hard to make adjustments. About 5 minutes up the road I see a car doing a U turn and it looked as if he was going to hit me? It turns out it was another cop and he was on my tail. He pulled me over, and luckily it stopped raining for 5 minutes. He asked the regular questions and I answered yes sir, no sir, my apologies sir. He told me he that the other officer called him to get me, because I flew past him and he couldnt catch up? I apologized again. He stated he was worried about me, he said this over and over. "Its raining and I dont want you to get hurt". He said he understands the speeding as he also rides, but asked me to please slow down and ride safe. I told him I was hearing him loud and clear. He let me off and I thanked him for his concern and leeway. It was another 2 hours of wet and wild riding. I kept it around the speed limit, but that puts big rigs and other cars all over me. The rain was insane and the spray from the trucks was incredible. I would get caught in a flurry of wind rain and spray from the trucks, it was actually quite dangerous and I kept thinking only one more hour?
Normally i would have stopped earlier but I was thinking in terms of 3,000 miles down a mere 50 more to go. I was so soaked that I did not want to get off the bike at all. Not for gas, directions not anything but a warm dry room. I had one stop left in me. I felt like if I got off the bike I wouldnt be able to get back on, too wet and cold.
I was supposed to meet someone in Savanna and they were going to let me sleep at their house tonight, I was to cold and wet to find their number. Like I said I had the energy for one stop only. I rode around Savanna in the pouring rain looking for the cheap hotel district? Savanna is very quaint and all decked out for the Holidays, but its not on the Atlantic! Tybee Island is, and its 15 more miles! Well I havent gotten off the bike yet, so I ride on towards Tybee Island. I see a hotel claiming to be the only one in town on the beach. Thats what im looking for. I am dis oriented so I really cant tell where the beach is. I walk in and im dripping water all over the office. I take off my gloves and water is pouring out onto the floor. I apologize to the clerk and ask pleeeaaase do you have a room that I can afford. At this point my budget is out the window ill pay top dollar to get out of these clothes, ive allready passed up the free room that I had arranged.
Im in luck the room is $69 bucks, it is actually a great hotel. Really nice amenities, right on the beach, super clean and it has a bathtub! That is the first thing I did after peeling off all my wet clothes was take a long hot bath. Soap, shampoo, conditioner... Im talking one of those deluxe washin ups.
I then ran down to the beach snapped some shots in the rain. Touched the Atlantic, jumped around in circles and ran back to my cozy, private, over sized room. I am so snug right now. I am on the Atlantic, and in sea turtle country. Im not sure how im going to get these clothes dry for tomorrow, but tonight I am snug as a bug in a rug.
Life is good, I can do anything I want, and I will.

The Atlantic Ocean. Tybee Island, Georgia. 12/12/12

The Atlantic Ocean. Tybee Island, Georgia. 12/12/12
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,665
Whew, glad you made it in one piece. Glad you were able to talk your way out the traffic stop too.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 11:25 PM
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #24
whitey818
knob

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrow View Post
Thanks, I may do this after Christmas. Maybe around the 27th? Ill try to get a plan together and let you know what im up to. I really appreciate the offer.
I'll be here. Glad ya made it to the east coast safe and sound. Been pretty wet last few days.
whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #25
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Been there, done that, with the rain. Caught me in July on the FLA Turnpike on a flat section north of Ft Pierce. Winds howling, driving rain and tons of traffic......scary to say the least and I was riding in daylight!!

Anyway......after today the weather looks down this way for the next week!!! Have fun cruzzin down this way and see you tomorrow!!!!

A
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Just found your RR. I live 15 miles North of Savannah and was at Tybee a few days ago. If you are gonna be around for a few hours I would love to buy you lunch. PM me.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #27
riceburner30281
misADVenturer

Oddometer: 645
Nice meeting you Greg, Glad you made it safe!!
"I've seen the look of "Just shoot me" on the face of the poor fellow stuck in his generic sedan, wife reading People magazine, kids in the back fighting over what movie to watch on the portable DVD plaver as I pass them and we make brief eye contact. I choose not to be that person." Pluric.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...VisitedMap.jpg
riceburner30281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post

Have fun cruzzin down this way and see you tomorrow!!!!

A
A brief celebration here on Tybee, Im packing up and heading south to Daytona Beach, Fl. Ive still got around 4,000 miles to go on this ride.

I slept like a baby, I have nearly finished drying all my clothes. And the hotel clerk packed me some food for the road.

Tybee Island, Georgia
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Just found your RR. I live 15 miles North of Savannah and was at Tybee a few days ago. If you are gonna be around for a few hours I would love to buy you lunch. PM me.

Im getting a late start. Its 11:00 a.m. and im thinking of taking a walk around Savanna, before heading South. Call if you want to have a cup of coffee or lunch. 415-846-2769 or (415) tin-crow. Its easy to remember.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Southbound.
Georgia is cold today. I am riding south, hopefully to warmer weather. Aside from my cold, wet boots, im warm and dry with all my gear on. I rode south to Florida. I took a detour to hop on the 10 east. It goes from Santa Monica Beach, California to Atlantic Beach, Florida.
It was a bit anti climactic, but ive often looked at that freeway and wondered what it looked like from the other side. I have now witnessed the end of the 10. Its actually a lot like the other side. There is a shopping mall, with lots of things to buy. Restaurants, Traffic jams and parking lots. Oh yeah and there is one big difference, im looking at the Atlantic Ocean. Im glad to be here.
I rode onto Daytona beach and was greeted by my host Eric from advrider. We had a delicious meal and talked about motorcycles and life for a few hours. A beautiful fox came up to the window while we where talking, its a jungle out there. There are gators across the street, and coral, and rattle snakes in the yard. Although I imagine its a little cold for snakes to be out around here this time of year?. maybe further south.

Lebowski and friend, pose on the Versys.

The end of the 10