Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #61
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
It does not take Einstein to realize it is not a good idea to ride a bike very far away that you cannot even fix a flat tire on. Would you drive a car without a spare/jack/lug wrench? I wouldn't, but believe it or not, and I'm sure you will, you can now buy cars without spare tires. No problem, roadside assistance will take care of it. Very few car drivers are capable of changing a tire these days anyway, so why bother to include one. Just call up OnStar. How long before nobody is capable of doing ANYTHING for themselves?
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #62
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,034

Damn ole tube type tires...1400 miles...I am glad I stayed local.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #63
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 783
Hey, Jerry..

If my non center stand, tube type tired motorbike got a flat tire while I was out not being a complete wimp by riding it wherever the hell I felt like, I'd pull out the spare tube I was carrying, flop the bike down on its side (gently) and get to fixing my tire.

I wouldn't be all over an internet forum acting like any bike lacking a center stand and tubeless tires is the spawn of Cthulu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How long before nobody is capable of doing ANYTHING for themselves?
Apparently you can't fix anything unless you've got a center stand and tubeless tires. At least that's the impression you give by spouting tripe that any bike not so equipped is not suitable for anything beyond local riding.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #64
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Hey, Jerry..

If my non center stand, tube type tired motorbike got a flat tire while I was out not being a complete wimp by riding it wherever the hell I felt like, I'd pull out the spare tube I was carrying, flop the bike down on its side (gently) and get to fixing my tire.

I wouldn't be all over an internet forum acting like any bike lacking a center stand and tubeless tires is the spawn of Cthulu.

Apparently you can't fix anything unless you've got a center stand and tubeless tires. At least that's the impression you give by spouting tripe that any bike not so equipped is not suitable for anything beyond local riding.

The type of tire is sure not a deal breaker for me.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #65
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Hey, Jerry..

That's where the difference is. No way am I going to throw a shiny new road bike on it's side to fix a flat, unless it is a matter of life and death. To me putting a road bike on it's side is the same as crashing. When I had an EX500, I found out than many EX500 owners had destroyed their engines by dropping their bike. Apparently the oil pump lost prime (which it does not do while changing the oil with the bike upright) and the engine ran for 30-40 seconds without oil pressure after the bike was picked up and started. Several threads about it on ex-500.com.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #66
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,411
I don't have any problem propping the bike up with something under the swingarm or under the engine in order to fix or change tires.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #67
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
The type of tire is sure not a deal breaker for me.
Well you're not the Jerry that's constantly doing the broken record routine about tubless tires
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #68
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Choices

I see this as all about choices. I hope JerryH fits on the GW and it works out for him. On paper, it seems to tick the boxes that work for him to have the confidence to do the rides he wants.

Hell, some people won't buy a bike because it only came in certain colors and not what they wanted. I see the centerstand thing as at least a reasonable desire to have when plunking money down on a bike OR that it have tubeless tires. Very reasonable. Basically, either go oldschool all the way (tubes, centerstand, kick start would be great) or modernize (tubeless, fuel injection and so on).

I like having choices in the 250 range. Used to be the Rebel and Yamaha 250 (v-twin even!) were it.

Personally, I am hung up on Fuel Injection. The only bike I have that has carbs is my Ural. As soon as my kid is old enough to ride on the back with me, I am selling the sidecar rig. I gotta have FI. Where is my internet picture ?

I like all the choices we have now. Hopefully more will come!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #69
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Sure, choices are great. Options are awesome. I know that people have preferences, and that's perfectly cool.

But to insinuate that a bike is only suitable for staying local where you have cell phone coverage and a buddy with a trailer nearby to pick you up, simply because it doesn't have a centerstand or tubeless tires?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #70
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Preferences are cool

He did preface the insinuation with "to me" which I take to mean, for his needs, it doesn't fit. He isn't comfortable riding beyond X range on a bike he can't repair the way he wants.

So, if preferences are "perfectly cool" then why are you laughing at his preference? I don't get it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #71
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
He did preface the insinuation with "to me" which I take to mean, for his needs, it doesn't fit. He isn't comfortable riding beyond X range on a bike he can't repair the way he wants.

So, if preferences are "perfectly cool" then why are you laughing at his preference? I don't get it.
Silk,
Don't you think since JerryH claims to be a mechanic that he should be able to fix a tube type tire with the aid of a improvised lift?
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #72
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Go through his post history.

Then you may get it.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #73
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post

I won't speak for anyone else, but, 90 percent of Jerry's post are very negative about any new bike.

We have read over and over that a bike with tubes is not for him. O.K.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #74
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It does not take Einstein to realize it is not a good idea to ride a bike very far away that you cannot even fix a flat tire on.
So, what is wrong with you that you can't repair a flat tire?
I learned to do it pre-teen.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #75
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So, what is wrong with you that you can't repair a flat tire?
I learned to do it pre-teen.
So did I. On an old beat up Bultaco dirt bike. Huge difference in laying that on it's side, and messing up a nice new street bike. Bikes used to come with centerstands. There was a reason for that. There still is. The same reason. So why don't they have centerstands any more? They certainly never did any harm, nor were they expensive.

Now everybody wants new technology, FI, ABS, traction control, but they are still happy with tires that use late 19th century technology. So how does that make sense?

And I have improvised a way to fix flats on an XT225 and a Rebel 250. In the form of a stand that bolted to the right side footpeg brackets, forming a centerstand when combined with the stock sidestand. Using it required removing the right side footpeg. Not likely to work on a large heavy bike, or one that does not have a location to bolt something to the right side, like a bike with welded on footpeg brackets. Goldwings still have centerstands. So does the BMW R-GS. Why? they both have tubeless tires. You can buy aftermarket centerstands for many bikes, the DR650 and KLR650 come to mind. If they did not sell, why would they still be on the market after all these years?