User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
yeroc40 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Bilt Explorer Gear

So there have have been threads on the new helmet and boots, but I am interested in the Jacket in pants that have just been released. I don't live near a store, but the adventure air looks to have all of the features I am interested in at a good price. If you've checked these out or have more pics please post them here.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
mahony99
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I looked at them yesterday.... great piece of kit for the money.
You need to pick the mesh version, regular or water proof version.
Amazing deal for the money. Its very good quality. Just goes to show you what a rip off KLIM and BMW are!
I would go with different boots though, the explorer boots are a little flimsey.
The Black looks better in person than in the magazine.

Regards...
mahony99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahony99 View Post
I looked at them yesterday.... great piece of kit for the money.
Amazing deal for the money. Its very good quality. Just goes to show you what a rip off KLIM and BMW are!

Regards...
Absolutely. The Cycle Gear Bilt line is much better made, has better protection and will last much longer than any BMW and Klim gear.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
This should be good.
vtduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
yeroc40 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Absolutely. The Cycle Gear Bilt line is much better made, has better protection and will last much longer than any BMW and Klim gear.
So you've checked them out? Thanks, would you mind posting some detailed pics? Cycle gear does a pretty poor job of actually displaying all the features of their gear.

I agree that BMW and Klim make great stuff. As does aerostich and a pile of others, but this thread isn't about them.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
The bilt stuff that CG carries?? the bilt-MX gear I've seen barely lasts a day of use.. Maybe they are getting better. The CG near me carries no adv type stuff.. barely any offroad stuff either. That said CG has great return policy so if it fails its 100% money back no issue..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 578
I live near a CG and went in the other day to check it out. I have purchased some Bilt gloves for my summer riding gloves. For $15 they are ok, although no better than a $9 pair of gardening gloves. Had to return 2 pair because the first got a hole in the palm after about two weeks and the other velcro stopped working after a month (I ride everyday in the summer). No issues on the returns. This most recent pair has been good for a season and still has life. I was interested in the Adventure helmet and went in to look because of the internal sun visor. The first thing I noticed was the peak/bill of the helmet is attached with what look to be woodworking screws. That was all I needed to see to realize if I can see that level of poor craftsmanship, what can't I see. I also looked at the pants and jacket. Wasn't impressed. Several had stitching with loose threads, just overall below par work for my standards. I didn't expect it to compete on quality with the top brands that are double and triple cost, but the "important" gear from Bilt isn't for me. Bummer because I am not independently wealthy and really hoped I could like this stuff.

Disclaimer: I ride a BMW 1150GS, wear an Aria helmet, BMW and Olympia gear and am picky when choosing stuff that will be between me and asphalt should I go down at 75mph. I may be biased.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I went in to check out this gear. The fabric doesn't seem to be as thick as my Olympia jacket and the elbow pads weren't as stiff as in the Olympia. The pads seem to be on a par with the ones in my wife's Joe Rocket jacket.

I did end up getting a set of clothes for my 5 year old daughter because I haven't been able to find anything else that comes close to her size. I don't know how the clothes would fare in a wreck but since I don't go very far or fast with my daughter on the bike it at least gives me a little piece of mind.

I don't know if I'd want to use Bilt Explorer Gear for my only protection when driving fast. I don't think it'd hold up in a big crash.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
mikejet
KlrKid

Oddometer: 94
Bilt

You get what you pay for, and your not paying much.

Current Stable: 2011 Kawasaki Concours - 2001 Harley Road King
1978 BMW R100S
mikejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
Bingo.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,289
For someone on a tight budget, I'd recommend trying to score some higher end used gear rather than bottom end new gear. That said, low end gear is better than none at all. I don't mean to come off as a gear snob, this is just based on my own experiences with different gear of all quality levels over the years.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,451
The Explorer is not a $200 jacket, and their $400 "regular" price is laughable. The fabric on the jacket is rather soft and the venting is non-existent. They use a design RevIt calls "Z-Liner". It means that the jacket has a non-detachable waterproof liner and the vents open only between the outer shell and the liner, providing no direct air flow to the body. I guess it can work as long as the temperature is below 70 an you don't ride off road where some muscle work is needed.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
You get what you pay for, and your not paying much.
Keep this is mind and it puts everything in perspective. Don't expect quality gear for little money... It's probably worth the price but you're not paying much...
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
I got the AIR pants. Has zip out quilted liner and zip out water proof liner. Looks good enough to work for me. I've got Tourmaster Transitions jacket and pants... too warm to wear even in the CO mountains. Also got the boots. I haven't fallen in years, and the chance of a hard fall is Zero. Don't ride that hard any more. Also got the helmet. I like the drop down sun shield, and replacement shields are cheep. A replacement shield for my Shoei DS is $60.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Ape76
NB

Oddometer: 168
I got to check out some of the Bilt gear in person and agree with what most others stated. My personal opinion is don't go in with high expectations and it's probably best not to use of any of their gear as your main kit. I have multiple sets of gear so don't mind it as another option.

Their gloves lack quality stitching and will probably fail if pushed to the test but I don't mind their boots for under $100 since you can replace them under 5 yr warranty. A failed seam shouldn't cause the boots to come apart in a low speed crash unlike the gloves so I took the chance. I wasn't too keen on their textile jackets either so look for used ones on the forum or closeouts online.

As far as their helmets go they are only DOT, slightly heavy, and feel cheap so I would not put my head in one. At the end of the day its best to try their gear in person so you can decide...
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote