User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #26326
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,459
I'm not really digging the FSA crankset for a number of reasons. But I'm not terrible fond of the Dura-Ace crankset, either.

Can a person fit-- if he can find-- a 10 speed Campagnolo crankset to a Dura Ace 7900 gruppo?

What about a Campagnolo 11 speed crankset?

If it's more of a hassle than it's worth I will simply buy a Dura Ace crankset and get on with it, save the Campagnolo for the next build.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #26327
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
"Gummee!" just for you. And, another.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #26328
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I'm not really digging the FSA crankset for a number of reasons. But I'm not terrible fond of the Dura-Ace crankset, either.

Can a person fit-- if he can find-- a 10 speed Campagnolo crankset to a Dura Ace 7900 gruppo?

What about a Campagnolo 11 speed crankset?

If it's more of a hassle than it's worth I will simply buy a Dura Ace crankset and get on with it, save the Campagnolo for the next build.
Cranks are cranks are cranks. Run whatever it is you want.

IOW the chain don't care whether its running on Campag or Shimano or SRAM rings. You *may* have to adjust your front der. but that's a minor thing comparatively.

Now, if you're running BB30, Shimano don't make any and I don't remember off the top of the head whether Campag does either.

You're better off with something like the C-dale cranks or something that don't require an adaptor.

HTH

M
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #26329
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Watched those last year. Looks like fun, but Ed Sanders has been rescheduled to the same weekend and is MUCH much closer.

Headed to Luray tomorrow. Last race of the season is Ed Sanders next weekend. I signed up early and got a good starting spot at Ed Sanders. I ain't gonna miss it!

M
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #26330
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
so I just mounted some Vittoria Hyper Randonneur tires on my hybrid, in 700x32. test ride around driveway says, SWEET. highly reflective stripe on sidewalls, which I think is a great feature for any tire used on the road. they went on my rims rather easily, no hassles at all stretching them over the rims, unlike the last couple Continental Gators I've mounted (admittedly on a completely different bike).

these replaced the servicable but rather leaden Specialized Nimbus that came on the bike in 700x35.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #26331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Well that sucked out loud. Luray CX = DNF

Got about a third of a lap in on the greasy, muddy lots of off-camber corner course, hit a course marking pole, endo-ed, hit on my left side (wrist, elbow, then head) and somehow ended up with my chainring prints and a hole in the skin on my left shin.

It was at that point that I said 'screw this.'

Rode all but the start/finish hill and pulled off the course. Brain wasn't in it any more and JRA on a cross course isn't my idea of a good time. Especially when traction is at a premium.

The goal of the day was 'work on my starts.' Didn't even do that properly.

Next weekend is the last race of my season. One DNF is one too many, but if I can learn something from this, I'm still ahead of the game.

In that regard: Mud tires. No matter what they say Conti 'Mud' tires aren't. I was also told they need to be run at super-low pressures to get the best traction. Inadvertently, I'd been doing just that. Today? More pressure. Co-inky-dink?

Don't do a big week mileage-wise before racing on Sunday and expect to do well. Along the same lines, if you're supposed to be on a rest week, take the damn rest week. Don't push on just cause its 70 and sunny in Dec. (Prolly won't listen to this one, but it needs to be said)

Pre-ride the course better. Easy lap. Hard lap. It does make a difference. IOW get to the race earlier.

M
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #26332
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
I have never had any luck with conti's. I think they suck.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #26333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I have never had any luck with conti's. I think they suck.
Conti Mud aka Grifo 2 do fairly well in everything but but mud. Keep the pressures low

M
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #26334
pierce
Aven'Tourer

for fatter hybrid bike tires, I took my first ride on these hyper radonneurs in 700x32, replacing Nimbus 700x35 (and I had Nimbus Amradillo 700x38 on my homebrew bike before that). They feel much faster and not as mushy, even tho the pressure (70 psi) was about the same...

I and took them for a brisk 15 mile loop. was riding a good 3-4 MPH faster than I was a few weeks ago on this same loop, mostly 16-18mph indicated on my bikemeter.

oh yeah, I have to reset my bike meter for the smaller tires. hmmmmm.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #26335
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 581
Today's Lard Busting Effort

Lots of toys out today, '60's Ferraris, Lotus 7 (Catheram?) and the usual flock of Ducks.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #26336
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,360
In house/apartment storage ideas??

I have three motorcycles, but they take up all the space I have in my shed. No garage sadly.

I have a spare bedroom, affectionately named the " junk room", which serves as tool storage, motorcycle gear and parts storage, and occasional work shop. That is where I keep the new mountain bike as well.

It is a bit of a PIA to wheel it in and out every time I need more space in there.

Any good storage ideas/gizmo's? pics/links appreciated.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #26337
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

I have three motorcycles, but they take up all the space I have in my shed. No garage sadly.

I have a spare bedroom, affectionately named the " junk room", which serves as tool storage, motorcycle gear and parts storage, and occasional work shop. That is where I keep the new mountain bike as well.

It is a bit of a PIA to wheel it in and out every time I need more space in there.

hang it from the ceiling with bike hooks? or hang it on a wall ?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #26338
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

seriously?
there are so many options that you're going to have to narrow it down... ranging from the lowly bike hook

to your basic wheel-around wheel stand

to the wall-mounted one-wheel rack to hang it on (though this means it sticks out into the room)

to the hanging hoist

to the floor-ceiling rack

to a fancy overhead hanging dealio

to a sorta' tuneup stand that doubles as a 2-bike rack

and that's all just part of what you might find at one place.

all depends on where you have the space (floor, wall or ceiling), and if you can drill into walls, etc.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #26339
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
I use wall hooks and it saves a lot of room.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #26340
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,780
Wink Participated in my first race this weekend.

I was at Santos this Sunday while they were having the mountain bike races, the last of which started at 11:30 AM. By 1:00PM, people were telling the the races were over, so I ventured onto the trails which had been designated as part of the course. Not long after that, I spotted a group of female riders ahead, all with number plates on their bikes. I figured they were just doing a 'cool down' ride or something, so I picked up speed and got right behind them. A couple of miles into the ride, I asked the woman in front of me when the race ended. "It hasn't ended!", she shouted back. Realizing I was in the middle of a race, I veered off at the first junction and made it back to the trail head without further incident.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: