Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #6496
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
going into production as we speak

loz
Are you getting the new Evo 2 kit then Loz and taking off your current RR fairing??
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #6497
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Ideas on stalling at temp?

This bike runs great as long as temps are down below 3/4. Keep it moving and no issues. But, when it warms up (not to pinned at max) it develops consistent stall and has on one occasion refused to start back up.

Replaced fuel filter 1k miles ago, looked good in there. Pump charging and starts right up when cold. Electrics seem fine, connections checked, tight and greased. 15 minute idle reset done a couple of times.

Thoughts on pinning this down before I start parts replacing?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #6498
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Need advice

Hi all. I want to use the Kriega Fork Seal Savers on my 2010 690 R but the plastic protector rings on the outer part of the fork leg have to come off. Has anyone done this and know how they come off? Just wanted to tap any expertise on the subject before I go and bung things up . Thanks very much.
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #6499
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hi all. I want to use the Kriega Fork Seal Savers on my 2010 690 R but the plastic protector rings on the outer part of the fork leg have to come off. Has anyone done this and know how they come off? Just wanted to tap any expertise on the subject before I go and bung things up . Thanks very much.
You can cut them if you don't want to keep them or you can drive them up with a hammer & large screwdriver to remove.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #6500
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
You can cut them if you don't want to keep them or you can drive them up with a hammer & large screwdriver to remove.

Cheers,

MrHix
Thanks MrHix,
Any consequences in removing these. My 05 950 doesn't have these and I just am wondering how important they are?
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #6501
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Probably about as much good as talking about Aprillia's and quoting the same pic over and over
You might be right. On the other hand, there are quite a few people here who LOVE their 690. I realize they have their issues.. but really, what bike doesn't?

It might be wrong, but like others I take comments like this personally.
"Excellent attempt KTM, but you shit the bed on waaaaaay too many issues to attempt to fix"
It does not add to the conversation because it is broad statement/opinion of a problem with the only solution getting a different bike. For many in the US, 660 tenere, African twin, ect are not an option so we make due. When KTM stopped the 640adv, this became the next best thing. (better in my opinion)

This thread helped me quite a lot when prepping my RTW bike. I would hope that others can pull the GOOD information out and not be turned off to the 690 by the negative comments like yours. So if you want help with your specific 690 issues .. just ask

If not, I hope you have fun with your African Twin. You will never see me post in the AT forum my opinion about if its any good or not. Cheers. ride safe.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #6502
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Thanks MrHix,
Any consequences in removing these. My 05 950 doesn't have these and I just am wondering how important they are?
Nope. And there is a nice groove (where the plastic used to be) in the fork body where safety wire around your fork gators will work nicely.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #6503
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Probably about as much good as talking about Aprillia's and quoting the same pic over and over
WTF is an Aprillia??

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #6504
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
---_--------------
You might be right. On the other hand, there are quite a few people here who LOVE their 690. I realize they have their issues.. but really, what bike doesn't?

It might be wrong, but like others I take comments like this personally.
"Excellent attempt KTM, but you shit the bed on waaaaaay too many issues to attempt to fix"
It does not add to the conversation because it is broad statement/opinion of a problem with the only solution getting a different bike. For many in the US, 660 tenere, African twin, ect are not an option so we make due. When KTM stopped the 640adv, this became the next best thing. (better in my opinion)
_----------------

I'll second this thought. Among the guys I ride with, there are many 690's and very very few problems with up to around 20k miles. The thread helps me learn about what could happen and about solutions that might exist. It's definitely not perfect, but I can't think of another bike out there that I'd rather own for the types of riding I prefer.

My bike did die on me a couple of months ago in the middle of nowhere. Had a brief moment of panic until I realized my tank bag had nudged my key to the off position on a fast bumpy 2-track. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #6505
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
its all happening at your place!!!!

I just ordered the older Rally Raid tanks because I like the look better. But these tanks and set up are sweet non-the-less!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #6506
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Thanks MrHix,
I believe they are there to keep the guards from rubbing on the fork uppers. I took mine off and will put the earlier model fork protectors on with fork seal savers. The wrap around guards tend to push the savers around and down.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #6507
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quit the squabbles, if you guys are going to beat the keyboard, how about drumming up something for me trouble shoot on this ill 690.

It's illogical to me that injector cleaning will make the difference given how well the bike runs as long as it's not hot. But I did it anyway.

I am curious for opinions on fuel pressure. In the first vid you can see some gas hit the floor but I'm mostly able to contain it. My thumb's not been calibrated to 55 psi -> should this firehose on me or does it seem right that I can stop it?

And for you who've been thinking of an injector cleaning it is quick and easy even for FI noob like me. I do wish I had access to ultrasonic that some of you like but since I have acetone and compressed air on hand that's what I used.

I'll take it out for a spin this afternoon - see what happens but don't think I've done anything helpful, just fooling around.

Here is the pressure vid - seems good enough?

Injector is right under the air box - disconnect electrics then out with the phillips head (butter - careful.)

Once removed you need a power source to open it if you are going to blow compressed air through it. I used a 12v battery from a drill.

You can hear the injector activate when you close the circuit.

I put it in some acetone then blew compressed air out.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #6508
robm-951
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I posted a separate thread, but it go no love so I thought I'd try in this one for some ideas.

OK guys, I've got a tough one and I'm looking for suggestions on what else to check or try.

Background: 08 690 SMC 18k miles. it's had an intermittent problem for a while. FI light would come on while riding and bike would go into a limp home mode and run like crap: exhaust would get super loud and bike would buck and jerk when applying throttle. Exhaust would also get really hot. Turn off the bike, restart and problem would go away. checked the blinking FI light code and it put out 9 blinks - manifold pressure sensor circuit out of range. checked sensor, connection everything looked fine, problem keeps occurring. Replace sensor and intermittent problem still occurs during rides and goes away after restart. realize 9 blinks can also be atmospheric pressure sensor value out of range. unplug, clean connection, everything looks ok, put it back. problem goes away for a few months. problem comes back. I recheck atmospheric pressure sensor again and such but problem keeps occurring randomly then seems to go away. Problem comes back in august before a big ride. I decide to just replace the Atmospheric pressure sensor. New sensor comes in the day before the ride. I replace it and try it out for a bit and problem seems gone. 1st day of big ride, bike does it again. restart the bike and problem doesn't show up again until this month. Trying to ride home from work problem repeatedly shows up and now does it immediately after starting. I figure probably a good thing if it's not intermittent anymore because I should be able to track it down. stop at a railroad crossing for a train, pull over turn bike off and wait till train and traffic clear up. start up bike and it runs fine all the way home. I go out to start it up later to check it out and the bike does it again, perfect.

here is what I have tried so far:
got out the laptop with tune-ecu on it and hook it up. it shows code P0108 which is either Manifold absolute pressure 1 sensor circuit high voltage (bank 1) or Ambient air pressure sensor circuit high voltage. I look at the reading in tune ecu and it shows the map sensor reporting back 5v. I check with a pin and a multimeter to the signal line coming from the map sensor going into the ecu plug and it reads just under 3v. I also check out the APS and it reads just under 4v. both are within spec of 1-4.2 volts for these sensors. I try unplugging each sensor one at a time and verify no voltage coming in on either sensor signal line and tune ecu always reads 5v for MAP sensor. I run continuity tests on all wires running from the ecu to each sensor and everything looks fine. I figure it must be an internal short inside the ecu. I take my ECU and try it out on another bike and the bike runs fine and doesn't have any issues. I plug the ECU back into my bike and the proble still exists. Now I'm stumped and don't know what else to check. Oh, and I also cleaned all the ground and positive terminals I could find, starter relay terminals, starter terminal, and 3 frame grounds.

Anybody got any ideas?
robm-951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #6509
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Are you getting the new Evo 2 kit then Loz and taking off your current RR fairing??

you know mine mate,nothing wrong with it after thee years of gentle use

loz

LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #6510
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Quit the squabbles, if you guys are going to beat the keyboard, how about drumming up something for me trouble shoot on this ill 690.

It's illogical to me that injector cleaning will make the difference given how well the bike runs as long as it's not hot. But I did it anyway.

I am curious for opinions on fuel pressure. In the first vid you can see some gas hit the floor but I'm mostly able to contain it. My thumb's not been calibrated to 55 psi -> should this firehose on me or does it seem right that I can stop it?

And for you who've been thinking of an injector cleaning it is quick and easy even for FI noob like me. I do wish I had access to ultrasonic that some of you like but since I have acetone and compressed air on hand that's what I used.

I'll take it out for a spin this afternoon - see what happens but don't think I've done anything helpful, just fooling around.

Here is the pressure vid - seems good enough?

Injector is right under the air box - disconnect electrics then out with the phillips head (butter - careful.)

Once removed you need a power source to open it if you are going to blow compressed air through it. I used a 12v battery from a drill.

You can hear the injector activate when you close the circuit.

I put it in some acetone then blew compressed air out.

We have also had problems with the "butter headed phillips screws",and produced our own Hex Head replacements,works with KTM tool kit T handle 8mm socket.

Hex Screw Kit Link
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote