Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #46
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
Interesting that you report the 300/350 to be less comfortable. The floor boards on the 300/350 seem about to be the same length, as does the seat/bar ratio, as on the 250. Unlike a lot of 250 sized scooters I find I can move my legs all over on the BV250, forward once in a while, or in the middle a fair amount, but frequently tucked a little behind, like a motorcycle. I rode 230 miles in a single day last weekend on a bunch of very hilly and mountainous roads. I was never uncomfortable, although I do admit I sometimes missed the motorcycle knees grasping the seat/tank position. On big rides that might be more comfortable, but more likely it feels more secure and planted, and as you fatigue that will probably feel better. Good thing I had removed the windshield some time ago - what a torture buffet device.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Strange times at the Piaggio dealership

I went to my local Piaggio dealer today to see if they had any news on the new BV350, and the trip turned into a bit of a Twilight Zone episode.

As I pulled in, a guy who appeared to be some kind of maintenance man was getting something out of a car parked in the lot. He was kinda eyeballing my neighbor and I as we parked our truck, so I waved at him and he waved back.

He went into the showroom, and we followed a few seconds later. As I entered the door he came up and asked if I was looking for someone. I said I was actually looking for something, rather than someone, and he asked what that might be. When I replied that I was looking for a Piaggio BV350, he got an extremely puzzled look on his face and said, "You're looking for a what?"

I won't go into great detail, but this guy had no idea what a Piaggio was, and he had even less idea that the BV350 was a new scooter from a company by that name. Literally. There were 8-10 Piaggio scooters sitting on the showroom floor, within 10 feet of us, while this conversation was taking place. The only other person on the floor was a salesman who appeared to be around 70 or so, but he didn't seem to want to join the conversation for some reason. The first guy disappeared into the back to "talk to the owner". A few minutes later he reappeared to tell me that they didn't keep any of those "DV350's" in stock because they were "specialty items", but that he could order me one. I told him that I was thinking of trading in my Yamaha Majesty, and asked him if they took trade-ins. Once again, I got the totally blank look. This guy literally did not know a Yamaha Majesty from a Mitsubishi Zero.

He asked me to repeat the name of my scooter, and once again excused himself to go in the back to talk to the owner. I overheard the owner say something to the effect of "Those Majesties cost like $6500 - tell him to sell it on Ebay, and then come back and see us."

Our "salesman" came back and relayed the owners sentiments, pretty much verbatim. I thanked him and told him I'd check back later. He then told me the owner was expecting a "DV350" to come in on the first of June, and asked for my name and number. I gave him my info, but by then he'd forgotten the model that I'd come in to look for.

I'm guessing that this dealership has recently changed ownership, because I've been there before and they seemed a little more organized last time. Maybe today was my salesman's first day. In any event, I didn't get to see the bike I went to see, and I didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies about the dealership. There's one more dealership nearby who sells Vespas and Piaggios, so I think I'll try there next week.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
I hope that's not the only dealer you have access to. Sounds like the pod people have taken it over. Run!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #49
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
More dealer saga's

So, as a BV250 owner and through this thread the BV350 has piqued my interest. I too went to the local dealer Piaggio/Aprilia/Vespa/Kymco dealer today. First, the sales guy was flirting with a woman who worked at the counter. They could hardly be bothered to look at me. When I said, after looking on the floor and seeing no BV350's, "excuse me, but are you going to get any BV350's?" He: "Oh, we've got them in back, they take up too much room so they are in the shop in back" (which was closed). He went right back to chatting her up. Complete indifference, which is what I've experienced there before, although they are generous with test rides - you ask, they shrug, and hand you the key.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #50
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Is that what they call.. wait.. I know this one..
Umm..

MATH?!

It'll get faster after about 1-1,5k miles, and the suspension (front especially)
will soften up.

(I've ridden 3 of them with different mileage. )

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #51
Afro Samurai
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi guys,

I am writing from Europe, Cyprus (small island in Meditteranean sea).

Had the beverly 300ie for about 2 years which i exhanged for the beverly 350.

Had 18,000 km in all conditions for the first and about 1400 km for the new one.

Was very satisfied with the bv300, only reason i exhanged it was the small exchange price i negotiated withe the local dealer and the emgine was the main factor.

BV300 gloss white,

No problems at all. As i said i wrote it 12 months a year. Temps in cyprus during summer go over 40 celcious which is hot with no overheating although if in traffic fan is working.

I had added the aftermarket windshield (piaggio one) and had buffeting (i am 6-1, big torso) and added a puig spoiler which eliminated the problem completely.

I also added the givi metal base for topbox as a previous member stated (very sturdy) and added the kappa 42 topcase which is very rugged and waterproof. (i have it always on)

I also added the givi soft panniers for touring expeditions and i am looking for a tunnel bag (probably will settle for the givi one).

I aldo had the Dr pulley sliding rollers (ordered from official eu site for dr pulley so i dnt end up with fake ones from ebay)

The weight i had was 13 grams at the same dimensions of 21x17 instead of 13.8 for stock

This gave a noticeable increase in acceleration in all rpms as well as an increase of 4-5 km top speed (according to speedo) as wll as keeping the same consumption. (you can go the other way with keeping the same accelaration and further improving top speed and consumption but that was not my goal.

This is a modification costing 30 euro including postage plus fitting costs that i will do to all my scooters

And they last longer than stock!!!

BV350 black (wanted white again but it only came with black saddle in white)

I transfered the givi mount plus the kappa topcase and the givi panniers.

Still looking for tunnel bag

Havent fitted the Dr pulley rollers yet as i have not found the stock weight and dimensions yet.

I only know they are 8 instead of 6. (will find them eventually as the model is fairly new)

So for a comparison

Windshield comes from factory and is tinted, Very ince and no need to fit spoiler as there is no buffeting

Although the dimension of wheels are the same , 16 front, 14 back, the turn in with the bv350 is much better due to lighter wheels used (older wheels although looking nicer where a bitch to clean)

TOp speed on bv300 was about 143 which went to 147-8 with dr pulley

On 350 as i have not run-in completely i cannot say definitely although i went to 140 briefly with 2/3 throttle on the same strech of road.

Based on what i heard and read from other people it should achieve 160 (speedo) easily

Consumption has been a bit better than the 300

I am 90% riding 2 up (city traffic) and had a 4.5 ltr per 100 km

With the 350 have 4.1 ltr per 100 km

Brakes are the same unless you have the abs, traction control model which i dnt

They are brembo and are very strong and with good feel (though i may try the brembo red series brake pad when the stock wear out)

Suspension is the same

It has good direction and is rock solid even at top speed with cross winds, but it is a bit harsh (some have tried yss or bitubo suspension for the back but i havent had feedback from them yet)

The engine is the biggest diff

The increase in power is huge and you can feel the power (though not fully run in yet)

Also the transmission is much smoother with less whining and noise (its enclosed in oil)

Storage space is the same which is huge

300 had the pirreli diablo which i found was very good in the dry and wet thought they needed some time to warm up

350 comes with michelin city grip which i found that they have same level of grips but warm up much faster and durability is the same (always depending on riding style)

Changed the horn for my 350 (same as 300) which is best suited for a kids bicycle with one from a piaggio x7 (not sure for name 100% but can find out if anyone is interested) for 20 euro including fitting. (same place as stock)

Overall, i think is the best scooter

Is unmatched for speed and agility in the city

Can do the freeway easily (even long streches)

Has touring capabilities

I forgot to mention that the service intervals due to the complete redesign of the engine and transmission have double from the 300

10,000 km oil change
10,000 km spark plug
10,000 km oil filter
20,000 km belt
Inspection of timing of valves every 40,000 km

And bring on the miles
Afro Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #52
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Great review, just 2 things.

That speedo is OMG optimistic, check with GPS.
The 350 will hit over 100mph indicated, while cruising next to
a Burgman 400 showing 93-94..

And..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Samurai View Post
Is unmatched for speed and agility in the city
..tells me you haven't ridden much scoots. :)

Virtually any scooter with smaller wheels will be more agile, and even with the 16/14 combo, the BV is right up there
with the rest of them, no better, no worse.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #53
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Great review, just 2 things.

That speedo is OMG optimistic, check with GPS.
The 350 will hit over 100mph indicated, while cruising next to
a Burgman 400 showing 93-94..
I checked the speedo on my 350 this week by mounting my car's GPS to the BV. Around town it's off by 5 MPH up to about 75 MPH. I now just mentally subtract 5 MPH from the speed and it's really close. This weekend I'll take it out on the highway south of town and take it up to 150 KPH and see how close it is then. Most of my driving is in the 35-50 MPH around town and I can almost tell my speed now by the sound of the engine.

The only problem for me with this scoot is that the KPH is on the outer, larger part of the speedo. The MPH is on the inside and thus much smaller. It's a bit difficult to see easily. If I could purchase a new speedo insert to put MPH on the outside I would but my guess is that's not going to happen and I have no idea how to open that thing even if it can be done.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
cheap option

For your speedometer, a simple option to consider would be putting a few marks with the corrected speed of several common speeds that you travel option and covering them with something like a screen protector used for a blackberry/iphone/kindle, etc.

For me, I would probably care mostly about 35 and 55 mph marks, since most of the roads around here are those speeds. 45 could be interpreted as 1/2 way in between.

Not that it matters much- i rode an old harley for years here that had no speedometer and just stayed with traffic- never had an issue with the law....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #55
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
HandKPhil ,

FWIW, I doubt your dealer will be getting a BV 350 since in order to get the new scoot in the US a dealer has to have at least one mechanic certified to work on it. My dealer in Houston sent I theirs a couple months ago. They have a BV 350 that I had a chance to sit on a couple weeks ago.

Over on Modern Vespa we've heard some bitching from dealers who were not happy with the new policy of requiring factory trained mechanics but frankly I was pleased to hear it.

I'm considering trading in one of our BV 500s for the new 350.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #56
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,633
I stopped by the local piaggio dealer today just to look around. I was looking at their BV350 and they asked if I wanted to ride it. Was could I say?? of course I said yes.

Some observations. The under seat storage is huge. The riding position is good with plenty of room for me (6-2, 34" inseam) but the seat is only OK. As for the ride, it had way more power that my SC250. It handled fine on the short ride I took it. It was not as agile as my 250 but still felt light and agile enough for city traffic. It's a definite possibility for me in the future but I'm not planning on anything new for at least the next year.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #57
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,286
I went and looked at a BV 350 yesterday after being disappointed by the BMW C650GT. I didn't get to test ride it as it was already sold. I was able to sit on it and it's a very nice scooter with a good quality finish. The dealer won't be able to get another one until late January - early February and told me they sell fast. I really liked its over all size. The trunk space was a nice surprise. I hope the next one they get comes in matte silver...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #58
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
I like all the Piaggio BV series scooters. I test rode a used BV500, and almost bought it. I decided to think it over another day, and someone else bought it. I probably messed up. These scooters seem to be an ideal alternative to the HUGE Japanese maxi scooters. Same displacement in a much smaller body. I can't find anything not to love about them, unless it is the maybe true maybe not parts issue.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #59
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,286

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #60
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post

Just watched the video. I agree with everything he said.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote