ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
990 Tires for the TAT

I have a 990 R and are planning to do the TAT this summer. Any suggestions on the best tires for the trip? I've gotten conflicting reports. Some feel the stock rear Scorpion wirh a nobby on the front would work best. Others say replace both with a true off-raod rally class tire. Any suggestions on best brand - Mefo, Pirelli, Continental, Heidenau? Any feed back would be appreciated.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue
 
Cactus Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 688
Dunlop 606 front (90/90-21) and Dunlop 908 rear (140/_ - 18). 4 of us rode from Clayton, NM to Port Orford, OR last Summer on the TAT. 9 days. I was on a 990R; a friend was on a 990; another on a 950SE. I changed tires in Nevada because I had spares available and there's nothing like fresh shoes. They used a single set each to the coast. They were completely shagged. We ran ultra HD tubes and 25 psi. 0 flats in 2,700 fast, hard miles. YMMV, but I'd use the same set up again.

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Dunlop 606 front (90/90-21) and Dunlop 908 rear (140/_ - 18)....
+1 it's a tough and durable combo that works well enough everywhere.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfabrizzi View Post
I have a 990 R and are planning to do the TAT this summer. Any suggestions on the best tires for the trip? I've gotten conflicting reports. Some feel the stock rear Scorpion wirh a nobby on the front would work best. Others say replace both with a true off-raod rally class tire. Any suggestions on best brand - Mefo, Pirelli, Continental, Heidenau? Any feed back would be appreciated.
How do you feel about sand/silt? Green River to Salida (Utah) has quite a few deep sand washes. The valley section just North of Eureka NV can be deep mud after rain, onviously when it's dry that mud is silt. Possible some of these are bypassed with the big bike route, if you plan to do that? Battle Mountain to McDermott has a few sandy stretches also. For the CO sections and OR sections you'll be fine with the rear Scorpion. TKC-80 might be a compramise. The big 950 would be great for the run into Baker NV
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Dunlop 606 front (90/90-21) and Dunlop 908 rear (140/_ - 18). 4 of us rode from Clayton, NM to Port Orford, OR last Summer on the TAT. 9 days. I was on a 990R; a friend was on a 990; another on a 950SE. I changed tires in Nevada because I had spares available and there's nothing like fresh shoes. They used a single set each to the coast. They were completely shagged. We ran ultra HD tubes and 25 psi. 0 flats in 2,700 fast, hard miles. YMMV, but I'd use the same set up again.

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks for the feedback. 300 miles per day on average. You guys were cranking!
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
As a Florida resident, I hate sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
How do you feel about sand/silt? Green River to Salida (Utah) has quite a few deep sand washes. The valley section just North of Eureka NV can be deep mud after rain, onviously when it's dry that mud is silt. Possible some of these are bypassed with the big bike route, if you plan to do that? Battle Mountain to McDermott has a few sandy stretches also. For the CO sections and OR sections you'll be fine with the rear Scorpion. TKC-80 might be a compramise. The big 950 would be great for the run into Baker NV
Living in Florida, were stuck riding in sand for almost all off road adventures. Can't get away from it, very few trails offering hard pack. This weekend, I tried running the stock Scorpions on the sand and it wan't fun. The 990 is too heavy and the stock tires were a joke. If we can get away from sand, we will. Thanks.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,648
The Wan's like the Pirelli Scorpion Rally Pro for the front, I tried one on the front of my 1150 with a 21 and really like it too. Hooks really good in sand too.

I've run the 908 on a lighter bike and hated it, no traction. I've heard that it's okay on the heavy bikes.

Your first set ought to be shot by Moab, look for a Dunlop MX71 for the front and a Maxxis Desert IT for the back(don't worry that a 120/100 is the biggest size, it's a massive tire)...awesome pair of tires for the west.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 3,681
From TN to Arkansas the Pirelli Scorpions work well enough because its mostly paved, dirt roads, or mild trail. I ran a 606 front and a michelin desert rear from Arkansas on...flatted the Pirelli in the Ozarks and switched then. Changed to the 606 a day or 2 later.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
Tidsy
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Urenui, New Zealand
Oddometer: 6
HI There, We did the TAT August 2012 two up on a 990. We had already done Route 66 from LA to Chicago so put new tyres on in Knoxville. We put a TKC80 on the rear and a Karoo on the front for the first half then put a fresh set on in Moab. Another TKC on the rear but for the sand a 606 on the front. I wouldn't like to try on the scorpions, asking for trouble. As one other guy said new shoes make a world of difference.
Tidsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Carnage
FKR!!!
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Heart of the Australian Economy
Oddometer: 21
There's only one combo to run!!! Pirelli MT 21 & MEFO Super Explorer....
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidsy View Post
HI There, We did the TAT August 2012 two up on a 990. We had already done Route 66 from LA to Chicago so put new tyres on in Knoxville. We put a TKC80 on the rear and a Karoo on the front for the first half then put a fresh set on in Moab. Another TKC on the rear but for the sand a 606 on the front. I wouldn't like to try on the scorpions, asking for trouble. As one other guy said new shoes make a world of difference.
As a new owner of a 990 R, I'm curious about the ride comfort over long stretches. Surely you didn't do it on the stock seat.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfabrizzi View Post
As a new owner of a 990 R, I'm curious about the ride comfort over long stretches. Surely you didn't do it on the stock seat.
I stood for probably 70% of the TAT from CO to OR. Yes, that;s a lot of miles. Only time I'd park my ass was the long straight stretches, heading into Baker NV as one example. Maybe you'll only stand 50% but that's plenty to ease the pain of the stock seat.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe
 
knobbyjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N by NW of The Biggest Little City
Oddometer: 432
I like that!
__________________
KTM 400 XCRW with Thumper Racing 450 kit and 450 cam 2007
KTM 450 XCRW with Christini AWD and Plated 2008
KTM 990 Adventure 2008
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue
 
Cactus Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 688
Stock seat isn't bad. A little soft perhaps, but on the TAT, you'll spend plenty of time standing, and when you want to sit, you'll be too tired to be particular. I have a Renazco now, and it is the shizzle. But, you'd better place your order now for June 2013. I'd be more concerned about planning your gas stops than I would the stock seat. And, add a steering damper. You'll thank me in the deep sand washes and the long sandy sections. I made the conscious decision to not install one, and I regreted it. The 990R is a big ol' girl, and in the sand, you really need to keep the speed up and stay on top. As a result, like any bike, she'll want to dance. Difference is she ain't an XR650R or a KTM530 dancin'. She's a 500 lb monster that is a real handful when she gets a mind of her own. You still have to stay atop the situation, but at least a damper will reduce the effort somewhat, and it will definitely take the violent snaps out of the equation. You'll be able to dial it back completely when you want to pick your way thru the rock gardens such as Black Dragon Canyon in Utah - a beautiful, horrid place that started out fun and ultimately kicked my ass.
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Stock seat isn't bad. A little soft perhaps, but on the TAT, you'll spend plenty of time standing, and when you want to sit, you'll be too tired to be particular. I have a Renazco now, and it is the shizzle. But, you'd better place your order now for June 2013. I'd be more concerned about planning your gas stops than I would the stock seat. And, add a steering damper. You'll thank me in the deep sand washes and the long sandy sections. I made the conscious decision to not install one, and I regreted it. The 990R is a big ol' girl, and in the sand, you really need to keep the speed up and stay on top. As a result, like any bike, she'll want to dance. Difference is she ain't an XR650R or a KTM530 dancin'. She's a 500 lb monster that is a real handful when she gets a mind of her own. You still have to stay atop the situation, but at least a damper will reduce the effort somewhat, and it will definitely take the violent snaps out of the equation. You'll be able to dial it back completely when you want to pick your way thru the rock gardens such as Black Dragon Canyon in Utah - a beautiful, horrid place that started out fun and ultimately kicked my ass.
Is Black Dragon on the list of big bike bypasses?

I actually found it easy but I was on my 450. I bet it would be a lot more of a challenge on a fully loaded 950. I've seen a few videos from people on smaller bikes where they really struggled, but they are always sitting, not going fast enough and looking at the ground just in front of the wheel.

That whole day from Green River to Salida is just epic but I can still remember this stretch of narrow single track silt, it sucked on the smaller bike. That whole day is not one where you want to get injured.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014