Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #181
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I had a 430 ( I think ) Husky automatic. It was going to be my ticket to the Expert class, instead I became expert in Swedish Motorcycle electrical systems. Unfortunately they didn't give out trophies for that although it was as challenging as any enduro I've ridden.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #182
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
Harris framed SRX600 road racer:

These were made for the British Singles championship in the mid-90's, and I believe one won the Singles TT at the IOM in '95. In addition to the Harris frame, they use TZ250 running gear. I don't know how many were made, but it is a rare piece of kit.

This one is fully sorted and happens to be for sale . . . .

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #183
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,550
Now that's cool!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #184
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Now that's cool!
indeed!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #185
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Yeah that is purty. Nice paint scheme on that TZ bodywork too. My son recently bought back his '97 TZ and it sitting in my storage unit. Makes me want to restore it in silver over yellow.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #186
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Thanks guys. Here are a few more shots:

I've replaced the pipe shown above with one I designed and Jemco built. It pulls sooooo much better than the abortion above which came with the bike. I just finished dialing it in Monday at Talladega GP, which is why it is for sale: I love the bike, but I don't fit on it. I'm 6'-2", 210 lbs and 55 years old. This bike is small, and I'm inflexible. I have enjoyed building it and making it right and dialing it in. But, either it can sit in my shop as a collector's piece, or it can be used on the race track and bring a lot of fun and satisfaction to someone. Unfortunately, it won't be me - I had a helluva a time Monday with the laps I put on with my big, old and creaky ass. Admittedly, Talladega will work ya' - there is no chance to rest. But, I also ran my SV650 race bike and my brother's CBR600F4i, and neither folded me and forced me into the contortions required to operate a TZ250 sized machine.

In its current configuration, it has a stock SRX600 engine in it, with 34 mm Mikuni RS flat slides. It was those carbs which I wanted to get dialed in. They are half of a set of 4, and I needed to get the correct combination of needles and jets to match the SRX600. I finally found the correct combo Monday, and it pulls like a freight train, and carves like a scalpel - exactly what the Harris Bro's had in mind in the mid-90's.

It's a nice piece of kit, but she'll eventually be moving along.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #187
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Spotted this 1945 CZ in the Forum flea market. No affiliation:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=40836
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #188
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,495
Dave - I built a Honda NT650 racer, same problem. I'm the same size as you, a bit younger, but already having flexibility problems. Cool bike, nicely turned out.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #189
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Al -

I'm thinking of my next project, once the Harris moves along. Because I have a plethora of SRX's (mostly 600's, but I do have a cherry 250), I'm thinking of trying to find an SRX mono-shock frame (from the UK), putting a late model upside down fork on it, 17" wheels, and lightening it as much as possible. That way I can put an SRX engine in, have the opportunity to use the best rubber available with good (stiff) forks and a decent monoshock, and it will be on a platform that is closer to something that will (relatively) comfortably accomodate my big ass. I've road raced my stock SRX (1986 US twin shock model with 35 mm spindles up front) at Mid-Ohio, and it was fine . . . up to a well defined limit. At that point, it started talking very convincingly to me that if I continued to push, it would have its way with me and I'd be very, very disappointed that I did not heed its warnings. Sorta like my 1971 Norton Commando.

The issue is sourcing a UK/European SRX mono-shock frame (1988 - 1995?). I know there were a lot of SRX400's in the UK (the lower displacement limit popular with younger riders for licensing purposes), but I don't know if SRX400 frames are the same dimensions, mounting points, etc., as SRX600 frames. Anyone know?

What is it about us "full framed" guys and itty bitty road racers? I think there should be a handicap system to even the playing field with the Dani Pedrosa's of the world.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #190
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,938
My first bike, a Benelli, similar to this nice example. I need to dig out and scan some old pics.

mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #191
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Al -

I'm thinking of my next project, once the Harris moves along. Because I have a plethora of SRX's (mostly 600's, but I do have a cherry 250), I'm thinking of trying to find an SRX mono-shock frame (from the UK), putting a late model upside down fork on it, 17" wheels, and lightening it as much as possible. That way I can put an SRX engine in, have the opportunity to use the best rubber available with good (stiff) forks and a decent monoshock, and it will be on a platform that is closer to something that will (relatively) comfortably accomodate my big ass. I've road raced my stock SRX (1986 US twin shock model with 35 mm spindles up front) at Mid-Ohio, and it was fine . . . up to a well defined limit. At that point, it started talking very convincingly to me that if I continued to push, it would have its way with me and I'd be very, very disappointed that I did not heed its warnings. Sorta like my 1971 Norton Commando.

The issue is sourcing a UK/European SRX mono-shock frame (1988 - 1995?). I know there were a lot of SRX400's in the UK (the lower displacement limit popular with younger riders for licensing purposes), but I don't know if SRX400 frames are the same dimensions, mounting points, etc., as SRX600 frames. Anyone know?

What is it about us "full framed" guys and itty bitty road racers? I think there should be a handicap system to even the playing field with the Dani Pedrosa's of the world.

Cheers,

Dave
I'm pretty sure the 400's were sleeved down 600's.
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #192
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
The rarest bike I've owned is the actual Kawi from top gun
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #193
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
Nice bike!

You wouldn't have purchased that a couple years ago from a gentleman in Colorado, would you?

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #194
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Not one, but TWO Combat Wombats.

1911fan
As a kid I wanted a Road Toad something fierce.... still do. There is a web page with a ton of info on them.
http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/hodakadays.html
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #195
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Al -
at Mid-Ohio, and it was fine . . . up to a well defined limit. At that point, it started talking very convincingly to me that if I continued to push, it would have its way with me and I'd be very, very disappointed that I did not heed its warnings.

Yeah, I feel ya! I've had bikes like that -- my '83 Katana would wind up like a spring and go into a vicious tank-slapper if you pushed it too hard over rough pavement. After a couple shit-my-pants moments, I learned not to push hard over rough pavement.

And, yeah, you're right: big guys on little bikes. I like them because I can *really* throw them around, and make them do exactly what I want them to do. Also, rider weight as a percentage of the bike weight plays a big part in your ability to control ground clearance -- that's why nobody (almost nobody) hangs off on a Gold Wing.

--------------

Back on topic, when I saw that adorable Benellli, I realized that my former pit bike qualifies as unusual and uncommon, if not outright rare... a Honda ZB50 --- it's a one-year only bike. Not my pic:

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote