Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #856
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,036
Breezed through your backyard on Tuesday, great day for a ride, and a piece of Pie in Hot Springs.

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #857
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Yes !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Thanks

Wayahutta Sunday?

Yes ,, all day rideing,, this sunday at wayehutta !!!!

thinking of haul n, a tagged-klx ,cooler ,grill/food ,and maybe the pups..
down about 10am...

=IF you don't know= there is a central parking lot ,that all trails lead out of.. so easy to make loops, that bring ya back to the parking lot.. great for stopping for a cold drink ,,gas up ,,pit stop ,,an hit n trail again!!! or just sit out a bit ??

so any,, 4-wheeler ,ohv-4x4, pure dirt bike ,, has to be hauled in ,, BUT are welcomed too !!
any tagged bike ,can ride on in!! = still $5 per rider/per vechical,, for all day pass ,,or (was) $30 for season = fyi..

hope to see ya'll there !!!!
-- close's 15th dec --
localmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #858
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoto View Post
Yes ,, all day rideing,, this sunday at wayehutta !!!!

hope to see ya'll there !!!!
-- close's 15th dec --
Looking forward to it!

See you by latest 11am in the parking lot
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #859
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 337
Will you adopt me?

I know I'm not a Western NC person, but I have met one of you and hope to ride with you guys sometime in the future. I rode my new to me DR for the first time today and I had to post somewhere.

I've had the DR since late October, but she needed a few things cleaned up, repaired, and adjusted. Took her out for my first real ride today. We covered about 60 miles of country road with a little city thrown in at the end.

I set out early this morning, but when I accelerated with a little vim, she cut out and in. Great, new bike and I've already got problems. I turned back towards home and tried to reproduce the cut out. Then I remembered the tip about bypassing the kickstand switch. I put my foot down by the kickstand and gave it a lift. No more cut out. I pulled into the driveway and got out the tools, I removed the switch, cut the wires, spliced them together with butt connector and tucked the loose wires away with a zip tie.

I started out again, heading northward from my home towards a few of my favorite quiet roads. Being the first ride on the DR, I didn't want to worry about traffic etc. as I settled in to the new bike.

We swung by a local lake and then headed downtown.

As with any bike, there are new sounds to worry about and little quirks that are different from my Nighthawk, but after an hour, I think I was feeling a little more confidence. I enjoyed the first ride.

Observations are:
  • I think I'll get the 14 tooth sprocket.
    The lowering was successful, but my mounting and dismounting is still an ugly sight.
    That engine makes a lot of washing machine sounds. (add to worry list)
    I like the light weight (as compared to the Nighthawk) and she handles fine.
    The Seat Concepts install is a success.
    Need to get a windshield and reconfigure a dash.

'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #860
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,895
I like that high tech gazebo from the satellite dish.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #861
HalcyonDaze
gober guts

Oddometer: 2,322
Looking good, Dale. Nice pics, pretty country over there.

A bunch of us are going to an OHV park tomorrow, Cuttle included so I'm sure a bunch of pics are about to be posted here.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #862
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
I know I'm not a Western NC person, but I have met one of you and hope to ride with you guys sometime in the future. I rode my new to me DR for the first time today and I had to post somewhere.

say hello, if you are around and we'll show you some good roads

Observations are:
  • I think I'll get the 14 tooth sprocket. do that - it's still fine on the road and way better in the dirt
    The lowering was successful, but my mounting and dismounting is still an ugly sight. you get used to it
    That engine makes a lot of washing machine sounds. (add to worry list) it is a washinig machine - so your question is?
    I like the light weight (as compared to the Nighthawk) and she handles fine. that's what I thought - till I got the 400...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I like that high tech gazebo from the satellite dish.
Madsion County folks...

gotta run, bikes are loaded
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #863
Cuttle OP
me? what?

there are good days and bad days....

well, today was a good day when it comes to hanging out with friends, and a bad day to operate motor-vehicles

first,l on the way to meet the guys, somebody thought it's a good idea to speed up if you see a yellow light in the distance...I tried to floor it to get out of his way, but he still got me and spun me out into the field (luckily I have witnesses that I had a green light).

Great start to the day

so, starting late and after getting lost for a bit, we finally made it... but apparently somebody forgot to get gas . Luckily I had enough.

btw - wearing shorts in December, one less thing to complain about.

the light is patent pending....

b00t and HalcyonDaze

sorry, didn't get any shots from the trail.

Somehow I manged to stop on the wrong and steep, snoody spot... and slid backwards, and a bit more, and more, and more till I finally fell over . No big deal, but every-time I tried to pick up the bike, I kept sliding out in the mud and and landing on my butt . So, after many tries and help I got back on the bike and made it up the hill... to follow it with a curtsey/synchronized drop for Rick (that, or run over him). I think that's where I grabbed the bike wrong and accidentally pulled the seat out of the tabs - which I discovered on top of the hill in a big whoops when the seat came off and I binned it hard .

That was pretty much also the time when the bike started reffing up like nuts, and reacting very strange to the throttle/clutch (just like the ride on Buffalo Mt.) . So, I pretty much coasted downhill the second half of the 9 mile loop while holding down the seat with my ass.. (oh, and there where maybe one or two more drops ). Not sure which one was the reason for the stargazing bark-busters

Needless to say, I forgot to take pics till I was back:

so, I decide to chill instead and hang out with Rick and whoever didn't do a loop.

just before he got bit...

and with his new best friend a few minutes later

ohh - and at least it wasn't my bike on the side this time

Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #864
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
ride-n

oh ya today was fun...

sorry about your colisions today,, wish your bike was/is running better,,hope is just a dirty carb or hose= some thing fairly simple,, ok next time!!

thanks for -ALL- doing the grill-n an watching after my little vicious attack dog = i bout fell on floor laughing at those pixs (an your coments,, but really hope he didn't hurt any one too bad)...

again nice to meet those ,who haven't met before,, nice rideing with you all......
hope to do again!!
localmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #865
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoto View Post
oh ya today was fun...

sorry about your colisions today,, wish your bike was/is running better,,hope is just a dirty carb or hose= some thing fairly simple,, ok next time!!

thanks for -ALL- doing the grill-n an watching after my little vicious attack dog = i bout fell on floor laughing at those pixs (an your coments,, but really hope he didn't hurt any one too bad)...

again nice to meet those ,who haven't met before,, nice rideing with you all......
hope to do again!!

hello again - glad you could make it out! I'll be back next spring for sure (aiming for less "ass-over-teakettle).

and my "in-house mechanic" (aka BDXMPL) has a much better theory about the reffing issue than I do: bad clutch plates or throw-out-bearing. Makes more sense than what I came up with...
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #866
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 337
Up that way

Looks like most of you had a great day. Makes me wish I lived up that way.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #867
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,732
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #868
Cuttle OP
me? what?

mid 60th in December???
EDIT: as Enduro125 just pointed out, it is already January - oops, close enough

better get some helmet-time....

random shots:

the problem about riding in the middle of winter? lots of crap (sand, salt, gravel) everywhere

"lunch" at Roan Mt.

I think I photographed this one before - well, not this year

Cuttle screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 06:59 PM
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #869
Cuttle OP
me? what?

wtf? - I want to turn here... and I already came from the direction they want to send me

And that's for Banjo: 5 barns at once! You'll never beat that one!

should I? It is soooo tempting.....

at this point I was already on reserve... no problem, after all, there is one gas-station in the area:

uhhoo, somebody stopped selling gas apparently...

so, the way home is about 30 min from there, tiny backroads and no gas-station. The closest gas is in going out of the way... guess I'll be home by dark

Turns out, I prolly would have made it.... 30 miles on reserve and .2 gallons to spare

all in all, 250 great miles of backroads and gravel (more like snoddy/slick stuff). Yup, good day!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #870
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,927
Like the banana pic.

enduro0125 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 07:02 PM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote