User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Ursa Major OP
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Recording streaming video?

Any suggestions on recording videos that are avaiiable to stream, but not download, i.e. YouTube, Flash (on websites) or other varieties? I'm good with either OS X or Windows solutions.

Along similar lines, what's the best file format to save to for efficient storage? I'm not worried about high res - what I'm thinking of are more like slide presentations with voice-over - but relatively compact storage would be good.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
There are great plugins you can get for just about any browser to download flash videos. I use Download Them All. It will download the videos in flv format. I use VLC Media Player to watch them.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,472
Check out keepvid.com. You copy/paste the youtube (or other site) link, it'll give you a few choices of what quality you want, and downloads it for you. VLC media player will play most any file type you can find.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Ursa Major OP
Bemused

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keepvid.com looks good, but it won't help for this application. This is a website where I click on an embedded "Watch this Video" link in a page, and a JWPlayer popup comes up and plays the flash video. The URL doesn't change, so it won't work in Keepvid.

I'll have a look at Firefox add-ons like Download Them All (I primarily use Firefox on Mac and Windows). Do you know if it will grab a popup flash app like JWPlayer?
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Ursa Major OP
Bemused

Ok, problem solved. I got a Firefox add-on called "Flash and Video Download v. 1.2.1", and it works fine. I'm saving to .flv files and using VLC to play.

Thanks, guys.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Anyone know what will work with google chrome?
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,965
I've used Jing for capturing screen videos for a while now. Free version's somewhat limited (10min recording, saves to FLV only), paid one isn't that much and gets you more useable features.

Capture the screen area rather than the stream itself ... might be easier than trying to capture and save the stream. Downside is you'll get all the artifacts and glitchiness if your computer doesn't play back the video nicely.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: