Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #3736
mineolaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHunter View Post
Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. I've absorbed it all (or like to think I have) and now I get the chance to put it all together. I picked up a 2010 530 XC-W with a street title and will be using the downtime this winter to make a few mods to the bike. The pointers in this thread will go to very good use.

Here's a pic, hope you don't mind that it's not an EXC.

Very nice bike!
mineolaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #3737
mineolaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentrr182 View Post
I just bought my seat concepts seat... All I can say after riding for 6 hours in one night is it is awesome!!!!
i'm looking for a seat for my 530 exc now. I'm a biggun so i probably would be more comfy on a wider seat. Is your new one wide? Thanks
mineolaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #3738
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Interested to hear how this works for you, Dan. My 530 has been strange... one ride it may go through an alarming amount of oil; like half the site glass in 40 miles. Then I can ride it 4 or 5 other days, hundreds of miles, and it uses nothing. Totally random; can't figure it out. I carry a little oil with me, just in case.

Are you getting into the throttle on one ride and not on the other?
My 530 never pushed any oil when I had it. Then when Tha Ric bought it it pushed oil for him. He defiantly revved the motor higher than I did. I always had a higher gear to shift to. I singled tracked the bike. Never dual sported it.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3739
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Are you getting into the throttle on one ride and not on the other?
My 530 never pushed any oil when I had it. Then when Tha Ric bought it it pushed oil for him. He defiantly revved the motor higher than I did. I always had a higher gear to shift to. I singled tracked the bike. Never dual sported it.
Nope. And I would think it would burn more at high RPM, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I rode it around the Gypsum Hills in KS nearly WFO for a few hundred miles, and didn't burn a drop. Then a 40 mile putt-putt ride the next week, and it dropped halfway down the sight glass.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3740
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Mine is inconsistent as well. I can go 150 miles with no use, and then suddenly it is down. I purchased all the parts to do a top end two years ago but the usage has never got bad enough that I feel the need to tear into it. The bike now has almost 10,000 miles. I just carry one of those small slime bottles filled with oil and have a cap that seals up. I use the slime cap when I top the bike off. Has served me well for 5 day trips and the oil is so easy to add. Never uses even the whole slime bottle of oil on these trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Nope. And I would think it would burn more at high RPM, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I rode it around the Gypsum Hills in KS nearly WFO for a few hundred miles, and didn't burn a drop. Then a 40 mile putt-putt ride the next week, and it dropped halfway down the sight glass.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #3741
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Have a question for you guys regarding the ignition wire jumper behind the headlight mask.

I was looking at the switch from Trailtech here, and the description states the stock configuration is mild. The earlier explanation I read here was that the stock configuration is wild, and removing the jumper or adding a switch is to enable the mild mode.

I know you guys know, can you confirm?
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #3742
GordonFreeman
Gamer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineolaman View Post
i'm looking for a seat for my 530 exc now. I'm a biggun so i probably would be more comfy on a wider seat. Is your new one wide? Thanks
I got the tall seat set up from Seat Concepts and really liked the width and cushioning, but it was a bit high for me (at 6'1", I was right on the edge). Long story short, I bought a used pan and put on the regular SC, which is perfect for me. I've still got the tall seat/pan, perfect condition, and have been meaning to list it. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you some pix.
GordonFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #3743
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
I'm convinced that you can have fairly different sight glass readings with the same amount of oil in the engine. Drain and measure is the only way to be 100% sure what you've got. My proof of this theory is that mine used to routinely "make" oil- low at one check, higher at the next, none added in the meantime.

I also think that the valve guide seal issue can come and go. They go up and down with the valve for a while- crazy consumption. They reseat on the head for a while- no consumption.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #3744
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
installed this beauty today. Trail tech GPS and computer. Will need to make some trails and download for a ride next weekend.

Sent with mind control...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #3745
Motrix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
countershaft sprocket

hey guys sorry in advance for the stupid question...

i'm in the process of changing the chain and sprockets on my 2010 530 EXC, maintaining the stock gearing.

When I went to tighten the counter sprocket, and tightening as much as possible without breaking something, the big washer between the bolt and counter is still loose and I do not understand why.

Does the counter sprocket have a specific direction? By that I mean does the smooth end stay towards the outside while the side that is a bit raised towards the engine? I've tried both directions but it seems loose albeit vey little in either way...

I was so stoked to mount new ones that when I took the stock one off I did not even bother looking at the direction...

All stock KTM parts I am using by the way.

Hope someone out there can shed some light on this as I am jonesing to ride!

Thanks a bunch and braaaaaap!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3746
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrix View Post
I've tried both directions but it seems loose albeit vey little in either way...
Smooth goes out, check the O-ring behind the spacer behind the countershaft, and sounds like your spring washer has gone flat. Best replacement option is one of these:

http://dirttricks.com/washer.htm

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #3747
GreatWhiteHunter
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
installed this beauty today. Trail tech GPS and computer. Will need to make some trails and download for a ride next weekend.

Thanks for the pic. I'm doing something similar on my 530. I was hoping the Voyager would mount to the HDB top clamp.

Did you have any issues with mounting? Clearance with light ok?

Thanks in advance!
* 2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 X-RS
GreatWhiteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #3748
Motrix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Smooth goes out, check the O-ring behind the spacer behind the countershaft, and sounds like your spring washer has gone flat. Best replacement option is one of these:

http://dirttricks.com/washer.htm
Hey Neduro thank you very much for your help! It must be my washer has gone flat! I will check this weekend once I am back in the garage!

Changing subject I saw your doubletake mirrors...awesome. I will shortly place an order for these babies!

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3749
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrix View Post
Hey Neduro thank you very much for your help! It must be my washer has gone flat! I will check this weekend once I am back in the garage!

Changing subject I saw your doubletake mirrors...awesome. I will shortly place an order for these babies!

Cheers.
I put one of those mirrors on my 530,definitly the best Ive tried.
Ive read where a light coating of anti seize is a good thing on the splines for the CS sprocket.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #3750
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHunter View Post
Thanks for the pic. I'm doing something similar on my 530. I was hoping the Voyager would mount to the HDB top clamp.

Did you have any issues with mounting? Clearance with light ok?

Thanks in advance!
I have the baja designs squadron light so my light is already pushed forward. But the computer can sit above it. I had to drill the 2 mounting hole in one of the brackets the cover comes with. Then trim it a little , no big deal.
I used this thermostat replacement for the temp sender.