Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #3706
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloryder View Post
"I'm looking for a high-end, practical, economical, do-it-all bike, not a price-point one. That includes sporty road riding, which should include lower weight (especially considering the limited power of the bike) and high quality, fully adjustable suspension." < From cls.

Would you give us a couple of examples of bikes which meet your critera? Thanks.
That's the problem, I don't know of any yet that meet what I'm looking for. I'm having a great time trying to find the perfect one, though. I love the MS 1200 Duc but it's not nearly enough reliable or economical; the Stroms are price-point and I prefer street wheels and tires on my bike; the Versys is great (and one of my current bikes) but it's not quite enough oomph and very price-point'ish; the Ninja K/Versys K drink too much gas and are heavier than they oughtta' be; etc., etc., etc. I'm aware there is no perfect bike but it's a great quest to play w/and, meanwhile, I love to ride different stuff and compare/contrast. It's all good. I still hope they'll come out w/a little more powerful and higher-end NC-X that will be the closest thing yet; an NCX-R, maybe? We shall see.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #3707
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 734
For someone that has said they were 'pressing on', you sure are taking a long time to do so.

The people that visit this forum are wanting to hear from the folks that have ridden and/or own the bikes.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #3708
cls
Studly Adventurer

I responded to a direct, new question. "Pressed on," and continuing.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #3709
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #3710
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I responded to a direct, new question. "Pressed on," and continuing.
Yet before doing so you still managed to talk down to the "ignorant, close minded, arrogant" folks here.

We'll done pressing onward and upward.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #3711
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Yet before doing so you still managed to talk down to the "ignorant, close minded, arrogant" folks here.

We'll done pressing onward and upward.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
To those that responded as such, you are correct. However, it was "insecure," not, "ignorant," in my earlier entry. In that, you were incorrect.

cls screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 08:00 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #3712
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 608
Can someone tell me how to add an inmate to your ignore list. I did it with someone else but can't remember how. Never mind, I figured it out.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #3713
jcbrandon
Just a guy

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
...The people that visit this forum are wanting to hear from the folks that have ridden and/or own the bikes.
This may add to the conversation:

http://www.cycleworld.com/videos/hon..._challenge__4/
jcbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3714
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrandon View Post

Thanks jcbrandon ! !
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #3715
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I currently have a 2012 NC700X and a 2011 HD Road King. I bought the Honda to take camping, hiking and fishing. The bike is very easy to ride. This will help on unpaved conditions and uneven large loads (camping equipment). The bike feels very light and manuverable at low speeds. Again this is beneficial on twisty and unpaved roads. The bike's fit and finish is top and I expect relability. My mileage has been right at 68-70 mpg. With a back-up canister of fuel, I should be set for any fuel emergency. The bike is peppy but not road fast. This is what I expect and budgeted. The bike needs a bigger windshield (many currently on the market) and a more comfortable seat (I understand more after markets are responding). This bike does not do everything but is a good fit for me for camping, hiking and fishing.

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #3716
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
In planning for some panniers, and looking at options from Givi, and the E21 panniers are seemingly a nice option for smaller size.

Anyone have this model and are they made as well as the rest of the Givi cases?

Art
Yes! I have these on my hornet and they are GREAT. They are as low profile as i could get for my relatively svelt bike and are on the SWMotech rack, not the Givi, which I got because I first had a top case (v460) only and you could not add on side cases afterwards with the Givi rack without buying a whole new rack. The only "issue" I've had is that the clip in from rack to bag is so tight that I cannot get them off the rack without fear of breaking the Givi bits (which I was told by a Givi rep are replaceable if that were to happen). But I have no need to ride the bike with just the rack, so on the very rare occasion I need to take the bags off (usually to get to something else on the bike) I just take off the bags with the rack still attached, as they are quick release anyway. Super fast and easy.

Oh, and, because the fit is so close with the SWM rack, it bulges the plastic edge on the lower part of the bag so you do sorta have to push the top part of case out a bit when closing it to get around the outer lip of the lower part of the case (again, tightness of rack to case with the SWM. Apparently the Givi rack is a flawless fit). I do not find it much of an issue and the bags have been solid for me and don't come off they are so functional. I can cram an amazing amount of stuff in them and think I could no longer contemplate having a bike without a full set up of some kind.

Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk.
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #3717
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Made in Japan is not what it used to be. It's a global economy. Parts from all around the world are used in the production of goods. Active on the Sony camera forums, I read a lot of stories about QA issues with the RX100 camera when it came out (made in Japan). After a while those issues disappeared as the camera manufacturing was switched to China. So those pounding their chest with the "Superior Made in Japan" models were the QA guinea pigs. Once everything was sorted out, production started in China to Sony specifications. The China models appears to be better built. I rarely see Apple computer purchasers complain aout Malaysia, Taiwan, China products.
I care not where the NC is assembled, I'll take one.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #3718
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Now lighten it up, give it good suspension and brakes, and I'm (maybe) in. Economy doesn't have to be cheap. They're almost there...

If you truly want good brakes and suspension the NC may be perfect for you. Dave Searle of Motorcycle Consumer News had this to say about the NC700X (some of his quotes)

"Its low-tech brakes are awesome, too, with great feel for traction, and the low chassis and long wheelbase tempt you to make super short stops just for fun, because they're so easy."
"But I'd say handling is its best feature. It's nimble, flicks side-to-side rapidly, and has tenacious grip at both ends that makes curves - of any speed - a real treat. Great suspension really helps handling, of course, and the NC's is just perfect.

...and from the other tester at MCN, Scott Rousseau;

"...Its brakes and suspension also perform so well that they don't even hint at the NC's bargain approach."
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3719
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Givi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidl2n View Post
Yes! I have these on my hornet and they are GREAT. They are as low profile as i could get for my relatively svelt bike and are on the SWMotech rack, not the Givi, which I got because I first had a top case (v460) only and you could not add on side cases afterwards with the Givi rack without buying a whole new rack. The only "issue" I've had is that the clip in from rack to bag is so tight that I cannot get them off the rack without fear of breaking the Givi bits (which I was told by a Givi rep are replaceable if that were to happen). But I have no need to ride the bike with just the rack, so on the very rare occasion I need to take the bags off (usually to get to something else on the bike) I just take off the bags with the rack still attached, as they are quick release anyway. Super fast and easy.

Oh, and, because the fit is so close with the SWM rack, it bulges the plastic edge on the lower part of the bag so you do sorta have to push the top part of case out a bit when closing it to get around the outer lip of the lower part of the case (again, tightness of rack to case with the SWM. Apparently the Givi rack is a flawless fit). I do not find it much of an issue and the bags have been solid for me and don't come off they are so functional. I can cram an amazing amount of stuff in them and think I could no longer contemplate having a bike without a full set up of some kind.

Thanks,
Reviews at vender sites of course are good. Nice to hear your thoughts. I don't camp cook anymore and can get by with a lot less gear. These panniers are very reasonable, and was a bit concerned with the quality. I like the top loading and the looks of them so will probable go with these and save a couple hundred to use elsewhere on my retired budget.

Thanks
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #3720
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I think you will enjoy. They are solid little units. And economical, as you note (a plus for me too). They also provide ample reflective sticker real estate, for those that desire it. And, unlike a clam shell style, you don't have to worry nearly as much about things hanging out the edges of the case when you're trying to close it. They fit a deceptive amount of stuff into them.

Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote