loz
gentle use my arse! You can swoon at my evo 2 kit once fitted

2011 KTM 690 - Devon TRF
Harty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #6512
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Yep, that made absolutely no difference at all.

Good news is the issue is predictable and repeatable. Now just to wonder why.

Ran 15 minute idle test - puuuurrrrfect. Cut it off, put on the helmet start and stall. When temps hit 3/4, choke and puke.

Here's what happens

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #6513
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
HI ALL
well i had my first PITA on the 690 today,having a nice easy ride in mt mee,the 690 stalled with a loud "POP" and a PSHHHHHHH, the sound came from under the air box area,so i had a good look around only to find the rubber boot had came away (see pic) and also the airbox was pushed back towards the battery
bike is a 2012,with less than 2000ks with a akro slip on inc akro mapping.

1, so what would make this happen,
2, is there a fix for this,cos i dont want it to happen again (PITA)
3, has there been a recall for this
Photobucket
This never happened to me on my bike until I replaced the intake roller rocker, and shimmed the intake valves on the tight end of the spectrum (Like, right at .07mm). After this, it happened several times. I only thought of the intake because of the recent work done, so I reshimmed the valves on the loose end of the spectrum, and vuala...

My thought on this is that at temperature, the valve clearance is so minimal, that at certain circumstances, the combustion of the engine happens while there is still a slight opening in the intake valves, and the energy follows the path of least resistance and blows off the throttle body. Just my theory...

But, it might be worth a shot to take a measurement of your intake valves. Mine hasn't happened once since my "fix."
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #6514
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm-951 View Post
I posted a separate thread, but it go no love so I thought I'd try in this one for some ideas.

OK guys, I've got a tough one and I'm looking for suggestions on what else to check or try.

Anybody got any ideas?
I had a similar issue a few moths ago, except mine showed a TPS error. Turned out to be a bad regulator/rectifier. Check the voltage at the battery and monitor while the bike is running. If you see a voltage spike above 14.4 volts it could be the RR. What happends is that the high voltage spike from the RR confuses the ECU via one of the sensors. In my case it affected the crank position sensor which artificially advanced the ignition timing causing the ECU to move the throttle body stepper motor resulting the the TPS sensor error..
My voltage spikes were above 15V but only for less than a second. Cycling the ignition ket seems to reset the issue until it occured again. I switched to a MOSFET RR and runs great now.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #6515
robm-951
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
I had a similar issue a few moths ago, except mine showed a TPS error. Turned out to be a bad regulator/rectifier. Check the voltage at the battery and monitor while the bike is running. If you see a voltage spike above 14.4 volts it could be the RR. What happends is that the high voltage spike from the RR confuses the ECU via one of the sensors. In my case it affected the crank position sensor which artificially advanced the ignition timing causing the ECU to move the throttle body stepper motor resulting the the TPS sensor error..
My voltage spikes were above 15V but only for less than a second. Cycling the ignition ket seems to reset the issue until it occured again. I switched to a MOSFET RR and runs great now.
Thanks for the reply! I think I found the issue. It appears to be a bad connection inside the wiring harness ECU connector. I can make the problem go away and re-occur by futzing with the wire right at the connector. Anybody knows who manufactures these plugs for KTM?
robm-951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #6516
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I realize they have their issues.. but really, what bike doesn't?
V-strom 650's

I my 690.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #6517
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Ha. Yeah. I bought a V-Strom 1000, and it has a ridiculous lean surge (EPA mandated, have to add a PowerCommander to make it run right), and an un-believable clutch chudder at low-to-mid RPM. Makes me wish I'd bought a Wee.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6518
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
You might be right. On the other hand, there are quite a few people here who LOVE their 690. I realize they have their issues.. but really, what bike doesn't?

It might be wrong, but like others I take comments like this personally.
"Excellent attempt KTM, but you shit the bed on waaaaaay too many issues to attempt to fix"
It does not add to the conversation because it is broad statement/opinion of a problem with the only solution getting a different bike. For many in the US, 660 tenere, African twin, ect are not an option so we make due. When KTM stopped the 640adv, this became the next best thing. (better in my opinion)

This thread helped me quite a lot when prepping my RTW bike. I would hope that others can pull the GOOD information out and not be turned off to the 690 by the negative comments like yours. So if you want help with your specific 690 issues .. just ask

If not, I hope you have fun with your African Twin. You will never see me post in the AT forum my opinion about if its any good or not. Cheers. ride safe.
You're mostly right, however I didn't come her to "slag" the bike, I loved my 690 when I got it in 2009.

My opinion is given after 4 years of ownership. feel free to cut down any bike you've owned, I wont say anything about your opinion, provided you do it in the correct forum.

I sincerely hope your bike holds up, but after 6 years in production and a lot of the core issues with this bike have not been fixed by the factory, I call that shitting the bed for sure.

It can be a sweet bike, I was just voicing my frustration of another part fixed to have something else die.

I wish I could say with proper maintenance that there are no issues, but I change my oil religiously and my valves had just been checked when I went on a 5400km trip this summer to have the top end blow and leave me stranded on the side of the highway.

Who knows, maybe I got a Monday morning special.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #6519
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
gentle use my arse! You can swoon at my evo 2 kit once fitted
look forward to it mate

loz

LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #6520
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm-951 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I think I found the issue. It appears to be a bad connection inside the wiring harness ECU connector. I can make the problem go away and re-occur by futzing with the wire right at the connector. Anybody knows who manufactures these plugs for KTM?
Let me send some emails. I think i'll have an answer for you this afternoon.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #6521
robm-951
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Let me send some emails. I think i'll have an answer for you this afternoon.
Awesome! Thanks!
robm-951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #6522
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Ha. Yeah. I bought a V-Strom 1000, and it has a ridiculous lean surge (EPA mandated, have to add a PowerCommander to make it run right), and an un-believable clutch chudder at low-to-mid RPM. Makes me wish I'd bought a Wee.
Same here. Had an '03 1000, and aside from the chudder, idle hammer, and lean surge it was a good ride. PC fixed the surge. SV1000 clutch fixed the chudder, and I just leared to live with the idle hammer. Oh, yeah... SV calipers, and master cylinder got the brakes working right.... Now I have a 2012 DL650A, and LOVE it!! Not as 2nd gear wheelie happy as the Vee, but I'm showing high 50's for mpg's so far. EVERY bike has something that needs fixing... The 690 has maybe more than most, but it's by far one of the best all around bikes I've owned.
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

If Lone Wadie rode a motorcycle, he'd be endeavoring to persevere on a KLR, no doubt
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #6523
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
HI ALL
well i had my first PITA on the 690 today,having a nice easy ride in mt mee,the 690 stalled with a loud "POP" and a PSHHHHHHH, the sound came from under the air box area,so i had a good look around only to find the rubber boot had came away (see pic) and also the airbox was pushed back towards the battery
bike is a 2012,with less than 2000ks with a akro slip on inc akro mapping.

1, so what would make this happen,
2, is there a fix for this,cos i dont want it to happen again (PITA)
3, has there been a recall for this

Mine did it too. 2012. I think it was because I was being impatient, and blipping the throttle to quickly while starting. I have been sure to keep my hand off the throttle when starting since, and have not had a repaeat...
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #6524
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hi all. I want to use the Kriega Fork Seal Savers on my 2010 690 R but the plastic protector rings on the outer part of the fork leg have to come off. Has anyone done this and know how they come off? Just wanted to tap any expertise on the subject before I go and bung things up . Thanks very much.
I shaved some of the neoprene from the seal saver where it lined up with the ring on the forks. seemed to work pretty well.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #6525
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Yep, that made absolutely no difference at all.

Good news is the issue is predictable and repeatable. Now just to wonder why.

Ran 15 minute idle test - puuuurrrrfect. Cut it off, put on the helmet start and stall. When temps hit 3/4, choke and puke.

Here's what happens

With all the talk about it, do you think the reg/rect is overheating? I haven't looked at it but if it's a part that's easily swapped you can borrow mine to see if it fixes the problem.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote