Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Nytelyte OP
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
Just for information purposes: what make, model, and year of GM vehicle?
2005 Saturn Ion Coupe, manual trans.

True, I'm not that old @ 29. But my first car was a 1991 Miata, autox'ed it, drove the snot out of it, beat the heck out of it. Bought it with 220k miles, sold it with 252k miles, only maint was standard stuff + spark plug cables & a roof seal.
Had a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, bought with 180k miles, sold it with 215k miles, standard maint + new front calipers and the radiator ate a tree branch... can't blame Jeep for that one.
2001 Honda civic, purchased with 80k, sold with 180k last February. ONLY thing not standard maint was when it got thumped by a truck (hood, headlight, radiator support). Fuel, oil changes, tires, brake pads. Replaced it with my GLI because I don't slog that much highway anymore and could afford to, not because it needed it.

This Saturn was CONSTANTLY needing adjustment, correction, fiddling, etc. Left her stranded on multiple occasions. 'Used oil', I couldn't figure out why, GM tech said it was normal for that engine. The amount of small annoyances were astonishing, like the spray-on chrome on the shifter peeled, was sharp enough to cut you. Front driver's side door speaker went intermittant a week ago. The wingnut that held the spare tire down was made out of some form of metal putty and snapped off, had to be removed with vice grips (try dealing with that on the side of the road when you have a flat tire). The sensor that told the car that the driver's side door was opened failed, which means the radio doesn't turn off when you get out of the car (a GM 'feature') so the battery died. When that switch went intermittent the alarm would go off whenever it felt like because the car thought the door was opened. A-pillar trim just fell off one day while Nytelytette was driving down the highway. Sunroof tracks made of plastic that disintegrates in the sun!?
And then the head gasket lets go at 137k miles.

Maybe my expectations are too high. Perhaps I've been spoiled by a lucky run of well made vehicles. I take care of my cars, maintain them appropriately, and expect them to give reasonably trouble free service. If I abuse something and it breaks, I blame myself, not the vehicle. I never blamed my 2nd miata's engine finikyness, as it was making 252HP/212ftlbs (stock is 116/108), same when it lost the diff on the racetrack (stocker is rated to about 180HP). Didn't blame the Cherokee for the radiator (off road tree branch), of my civic SI for eating brakes (autox'ed), or my Wrangler for rust (I got that thing muddy & salty, never cleaned it).

A well maintained car that is driven nicely on modern roads should NOT have the issues that this experienced. These problems ( and most of them are common for these vehicles) are due to poor workmanship and shit quality of parts.

Nytelyte screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:58 AM
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
racermx66
Husqvarna

Oddometer: 387
The Matrix is a rebadged Pontiac Vibe. I do notice that the Toyotas made in the US seem to have more problems than the ones made in Japan. Just look at all the recalls Toyota has made in the past couple of years. I agree with what people said about the cars made in the '70s. Growing up my parents had various cars and around 60-70k the cars needed everything replaced. We never owned a car past 80K miles.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermx66 View Post
The Matrix is a rebadged Pontiac Vibe. I do notice that the Toyotas made in the US seem to have more problems than the ones made in Japan. Just look at all the recalls Toyota has made in the past couple of years. I agree with what people said about the cars made in the '70s. Growing up my parents had various cars and around 60-70k the cars needed everything replaced. We never owned a car past 80K miles.
The Pontiac Vibe was a rebadged Toyota.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
Toyota Matrix was the worst POS I have ever owned.The company vehicle that I now drive is a 3 year old Toyota Tundra,another POS.Both have/had transmission problems(shudder,flair shift,harsh shift),interiors that rattle and squeak,seat belts that don't work properly,doors that don't latch,engines that surge at idle and when going down the road,intermittent CEL/SES,and the list could go on.The Matrix was purchased new,and was never right.The Tundra was purchased new and had major transmission issues before 70k.
07 Tundra

Worst car I've ever had. Won't EVER buy another Toyota, not due to the cars but the shitty 'tude of the dealership.
Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
2005 Saturn Ion Coupe, manual trans.
Since we're talking worst used cars, I had a positive experience with a Saturn. My worst was a Mercedes.

Then go check the BMW boards and they are proud to only replace the front end and cooling system at 80k.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
GM got screwed on that deal.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,220
I just sold my 2007 Silverado. It had an array of nagging problems over the years, electrical,brakes and such but the main reason I decided it was time to part ways was the rust. This thing was popping thru everywhere. Doors, Cab corners, rockers, and wheel-wells were all getting pretty bad. The thing was pretty much a garage queen is the ironic part, It had seen it share of winter driving but always was washed at least once a week when there was salt on the road.

After pretty much owning nothing but GM for 20+ years I am done. My next vehicle will probably be a Ford.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Since we're talking worst used cars, I had a positive experience with a Saturn. My worst was a Mercedes.

Then go check the BMW boards and they are proud to only replace the front end and cooling system at 80k.
they got the wrong BMW

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
they got the wrong BMW

Nice! And just what I was thinking. Sold my 518 with 200k plus, had a 3 series, now on an x3. Great cars.

As to GM, fuck that noise. I have had fords and they did well, couple chryslers in the family that were ok. But GM? What a joke.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
We got a VERY good deal on a 2012 RAV4, also Nytelytette's first new car, 9 miles when we got in it, even test drove a different one so my abusive "How fast is it? How good are the brakes? Does it slide around this corner at way too fast?" were on a different car. She's thrilled, got the color & trim we wanted (4wd, 4cyl, auto, BT, all the rear cubbies, good stereo), we have our planned vehicle for kids and our dog (and a little trailer for our bikes) and hopefully this will be reliable and efficient for us for a good while.
Congrats. I have the same car with the V6. Not sure why, but the traction control comes on alot. Your wife shouldn't have that problem as her new car has 103 less hp.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I just sold my 2007 Silverado. It had an array of nagging problems over the years, electrical,brakes and such but the main reason I decided it was time to part ways was the rust. This thing was popping thru everywhere. Doors, Cab corners, rockers, and wheel-wells were all getting pretty bad. The thing was pretty much a garage queen is the ironic part, It had seen it share of winter driving but always was washed at least once a week when there was salt on the road.

After pretty much owning nothing but GM for 20+ years I am done. My next vehicle will probably be a Ford.
Funny, I just made the opposite switch, Ford to Chevy because I couldn't reward Ford for selling garbage (06 F150 in this case). I think the point is that all cars are garbage now and you just have to get lucky and sell them at five years old.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
Nytelyte OP
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Congrats. I have the same car with the V6. Not sure why, but the traction control comes on alot. Your wife shouldn't have that problem as her new car has 103 less hp.
We drove the v6, but she was happy with the 4, said it felt faster than her saturn and that was already plenty, paying the premium for that engine wasn't worth it to us.

Besides, I have the bikes for speedy needs. My GLI isn't a slouch either.

She just messaged me from work: "I just want to leave and go driving. And I parked it WAY out in the parking lot all by itself." If she is happy, I'm happy.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The point is...it was built to a price point that GM wanted.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,174
GM can't build a car that is worth a pile of crap. Same goes for Dodge, our fords seem to be the best of the lot.

Where I work we have a fleet of Fords, Old Crown vics, and now the new 4wd tarus....so far great cars and FAST....zero problems from them so far....we also have some escapes and explorers....same thing...so far so good.

The impallas every one of them chewed the back tires off in a few thousand miles....seem they are all built a little off...took them in and they fixed it....but they still are falling apart....little plastic bits bust all the time, windows controls, shifters, glove boxes....little crap that is just a pain.

Dodge is the worst, chargers.....what a great car....when you can start it....when it runs. Front ends weak...struts, on half of them, brakes on all of them at about 30k. The key fobs will not start the cars....we have had 4 had to be dragged up on a flat bed to be fixed.
I really was looking at a challenger....but after seeing what the fleet chargers are doing I am going to cross it off my list and get a Mustang.

Out of all of them the Fords are the best.....just my 2 bits.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,254
I owned a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro from new for about 5 years.

Haven't bought a GM or a new car since then.

I assume the techs in St Therese, Quebec were drunk all the time baed on the quality of that car.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: