ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,605
Wife wiped out right infront of me.

I took a ride up to Mt. Lemmon this weekend before it gets icy. Two of my sport bike buddies and I ride up to The Saw Mill for brunch every couple of weeks. I love that ride because the 'Busa just eats the corners up. This weekend the children were hanging with friends so the wife decided to join in. She's got about 5k miles under her belt over the last 4 years- so she can hold her own but she's not a pro. She has a Ninja 650R with about 1100 miles on it. I just told my buddies we'd hang back and meet them at the top because I didn't want to push her out of her comfort zone and we generally fly up the hill.

I let her take our lead and made sure to let her know we were in NO rush. A bout 3 miles from the top she comes out of a right bend and leans into a left sweeper going about 35-40. The turn was shadowed by the mountain and there were t-barriers to prevent rock from rolling into the road.

Next thing I know, she's heading right for the t-wall and low siding on the right.. The last thing I saw (because I was in the turn at that point and couldn't swing my head to the right to look) was her head hit the wall and her left leg was under the bike. I couldn't get off the 'Busa fast enough. We have Cardo headsets- so as I was running back to her, she kept saying, "I'm okay, I'm okay." She banged up her left knee and scratched the shit out of an $800 Shoei... but she didn't break anything. Had she been wearing her riding pants instead of jeans- she probably wouldn't have banged up her knee.

I was able to pack up all the carnage and duct tape / zip tie the faring to a point of ride able. The low beam light was gone and the instrument panel was dead. The after market hand guard saved the break lever. I didn't have my pillion- so I made her get back on and finish the ride to the top. I figured if I had to leave it somewhere, the dinner would be the best place. She was like, "You expect me to get back on and ride?" I firmly said, "Yes. We'll go slow- and I'll talk to you the whole way."

We made it to The Saw Mill Dinner where my buddies were just getting ready to gear up and come down looking for us. After lunch, we secured any lose pieces with more tape and zip ties and I gave her the option of hanging out until I get back with a trailer or riding it home. I made sure she knew it was only a bike and I could care less about the damage, as long as she was okay.

She rode it home . I had to talk her through some of the corners because she was freaking out- but I explained that she'd been doing this for four years without incident and to remember everything she learned from the classes I made her take when she decided to start riding. It took FOREVER, but we made it home in time to dump it off at the dealer for an estimate.

After reviewing the GoPro- I discovered she attempted to slow down as she entered the curve (which was wet) momentarily locked up the rear break and instead of counter steering and using throttle control- she ignored all the training and went right to Survival Reaction 2-5

Trying not to be a dick (and that's hard for me), we went through the video frame-by-frame and went over everything she did wrong (to include removing her feet from the pegs ). This was an attempt to show her that she COULD have recovered and hopefully (unless she decides to sell the bike) she'll be able to react better if it happens again.

She's not sure what to do, but it's her option. Personally, after watching her reaction and how she handled the moment- I would feel better if she never rode solo again. I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times. But watching the most important person in the world to you go down in front of you is the worst feeling ever.

P.S. Always carry a small roll duct tape and tip ties... best after action tools available.
__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry
 
TrashCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Louisville, Tn
Oddometer: 4,374
Wow tough job.

I watched a young friend go in the ditch, back out, then over the handle bars.

You really do have to keep your head in the game.
__________________
X the DY.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,619
locking a rear brake on a curve usually results in a highside, so I'd say your wife was lucky.

5,000 miles over four years isn't much riding. If she decides to get back on, and hopefully she'll do more riding to keep her skills sharp.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer
 
windypoint's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Walla Walla
Oddometer: 219
Scratching the shit out of an $800 helmet is the best money she ever spent. Glad she's ok. Hope she gets back on that horse and rides again.
windypoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
locking a rear brake on a curve usually results in a highside, so I'd say your wife was lucky.

5,000 miles over four years isn't much riding. If she decides to get back on, and hopefully she'll do more riding to keep her skills sharp.
Yea- as it was unfolding I just about shit my pants cuz all I could envision was her going over the bars. She was owning the corners up to then and I was hanging back because I didn't want her to feel rushed. I stressed the "We're not in a rush" and "stay in your zone"... I think the mix of chilly, wet road, tar snakes, and shadow fucked with her head.

Not sure if I should claim the insurance- probably $1200 in damage (I could give a shit about the repairs, I'm just glad she's okay).
__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
Scratching the shit out of an $800 helmet is the best money she ever spent. Glad she's ok. Hope she gets back on that horse and rides again.
I am a firm believer in a good helmet and ATGATT. Can't replace the noggin. Normally we wear pants and jacket- but she wanted to wear jeans. I told her at lunch that if she had the pants on- her knee wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to bring her to the track to work on those cornering skillz as soon as the bike is put back together.
__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,948
Add $800 to the estimate to cover a new Shoei. You don't want her putting a crashed helmet back on.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer
 
4wheeldog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: 7200' NM
Oddometer: 12,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
locking a rear brake on a curve usually results in a highside, so I'd say your wife was lucky.

5,000 miles over four years isn't much riding. If she decides to get back on, and hopefully she'll do more riding to keep her skills sharp.
Not if you keep it locked........It becomes a highside when you realize you screwed up, and release the brake, allowing the rear tire to gain traction, throwing the bike over the top. Once you lock the rear, you should really consider what is going to happen when you release it. Just sayin.

Glad the OP's wife didn't fare worse. I had my wife disappear as we came to a stop sign on a hill. Somehow, she forgot to put her foot down, and she and the bike went over the curb, head first down the ditch. Amazing how heavy a KLR 250 is when it is upside down in the bottom of a ditch.
__________________
Sometimes a man has got to do what a woman wouldn't even consider.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Add $800 to the estimate to cover a new Shoei. You don't want her putting a crashed helmet back on.
My 'Busa insurance is already like $110 a month (44 with no tickets/accidents)... not sure I'm going to make the claim since all the bikes are on the same policy. I'd hate for this incident to reflect the 'Busa premium.

'Busa- $110
GSA- $47
Ninja- $62

Geico

__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,697
Your insurance is kind of high, but what's the point of having it if you ain't gona use it? Drop the collision coverage save the money. And maybe lose the ”I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times” attitude too.
Glad she ok. My wife rides with me a lot. She’s been riding for 35 years and about 10000 miles a year, and I’m never as comfortable when she’s riding with us, always concerned for her. So if your wife keeps riding, and I hope she does, you may never get comfortable with it. G'luck.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 301
So... can we see this video? Maybe we could all learn from it?
__________________
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
My nephew playing with his "girlfriend":
"I'm going to play with ninjas, you go to the kitchen."
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I took a ride up to Mt. Lemmon this weekend before it gets icy. Two of my sport bike buddies and I ride up to The Saw Mill for brunch every couple of weeks. I love that ride because the 'Busa just eats the corners up. This weekend the children were hanging with friends so the wife decided to join in. She's got about 5k miles under her belt over the last 4 years- so she can hold her own but she's not a pro. She has a Ninja 650R with about 1100 miles on it. I just told my buddies we'd hang back and meet them at the top because I didn't want to push her out of her comfort zone and we generally fly up the hill.

I let her take our lead and made sure to let her know we were in NO rush. A bout 3 miles from the top she comes out of a right bend and leans into a left sweeper going about 35-40. The turn was shadowed by the mountain and there were t-barriers to prevent rock from rolling into the road.

Next thing I know, she's heading right for the t-wall and low siding on the right.. The last thing I saw (because I was in the turn at that point and couldn't swing my head to the right to look) was her head hit the wall and her left leg was under the bike. I couldn't get off the 'Busa fast enough. We have Cardo headsets- so as I was running back to her, she kept saying, "I'm okay, I'm okay." She banged up her left knee and scratched the shit out of an $800 Shoei... but she didn't break anything. Had she been wearing her riding pants instead of jeans- she probably wouldn't have banged up her knee.

I was able to pack up all the carnage and duct tape / zip tie the faring to a point of ride able. The low beam light was gone and the instrument panel was dead. The after market hand guard saved the break lever. I didn't have my pillion- so I made her get back on and finish the ride to the top. I figured if I had to leave it somewhere, the dinner would be the best place. She was like, "You expect me to get back on and ride?" I firmly said, "Yes. We'll go slow- and I'll talk to you the whole way."

We made it to The Saw Mill Dinner where my buddies were just getting ready to gear up and come down looking for us. After lunch, we secured any lose pieces with more tape and zip ties and I gave her the option of hanging out until I get back with a trailer or riding it home. I made sure she knew it was only a bike and I could care less about the damage, as long as she was okay.

She rode it home . I had to talk her through some of the corners because she was freaking out- but I explained that she'd been doing this for four years without incident and to remember everything she learned from the classes I made her take when she decided to start riding. It took FOREVER, but we made it home in time to dump it off at the dealer for an estimate.

After reviewing the GoPro- I discovered she attempted to slow down as she entered the curve (which was wet) momentarily locked up the rear break and instead of counter steering and using throttle control- she ignored all the training and went right to Survival Reaction 2-5

Trying not to be a dick (and that's hard for me), we went through the video frame-by-frame and went over everything she did wrong (to include removing her feet from the pegs ). This was an attempt to show her that she COULD have recovered and hopefully (unless she decides to sell the bike) she'll be able to react better if it happens again.

She's not sure what to do, but it's her option. Personally, after watching her reaction and how she handled the moment- I would feel better if she never rode solo again. I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times. But watching the most important person in the world to you go down in front of you is the worst feeling ever.

P.S. Always carry a small roll duct tape and tip ties... best after action tools available.
I don't want my wife to ride solo and neither does she......she loves riding behind me on my busa ( ) and the only reason she'd ever consider riding solo is because I wanted her to.
I think alot of wives ride solo because their husbands push them to...or they're trying to spend time with their husbands by taking up the hobby. Honestly I think its a rare lady that truly wants to ride solo herself....I just don't think its something that thrills most ladies.

Let her sell the bike and just be a passenger......you'd be amazed how nice it can be sometimes having your wife holding onto you as you're cruising through beautiful vista's. I enjoy my high speed solo riding (what busa owner doesn't ) but I also enjoy riding with the wife.
And btw I've had her up to 165mph gps on a nice desert road and she loved it......so you don't ALWAYS have to go slow with the wifey
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Doctor Zed
Resident
 
Doctor Zed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Mills, Wi
Oddometer: 1,284
Could have been worse.
Last Sunday my wife went down right in front of me, I ran over her arm and broke it
She goes in for surgery tomorrow to bolt things back together.
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Thumb Give State Farm a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
My 'Busa insurance is already like $110 a month (44 with no tickets/accidents)... not sure I'm going to make the claim since all the bikes are on the same policy. I'd hate for this incident to reflect the 'Busa premium.

'Busa- $110
GSA- $47
Ninja- $62

Geico

Try State Farm, they were by far the cheapest I could find, and pretty much everybody on hayabusa.org uses them. I'm 49, no tickets/accidents, and I'm paying 182 every 6 months for my busa full coverage, I believe 184-186 if I remember right for my turbo zx14 every 6 months full coverage, and 62 bucks every 6 months for my xr650l comprehensive only, no collision.
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie
 
Hookapelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I don't want my wife to ride solo and neither does she......she loves riding behind me on my busa ( ) and the only reason she'd ever consider riding solo is because I wanted her to.
I think alot of wives ride solo because their husbands push them to...or they're trying to spend time with their husbands by taking up the hobby. Honestly I think its a rare lady that truly wants to ride solo herself....I just don't think its something that thrills most ladies.

Let her sell the bike and just be a passenger......you'd be amazed how nice it can be sometimes having your wife holding onto you as you're cruising through beautiful vista's. I enjoy my high speed solo riding (what busa owner doesn't ) but I also enjoy riding with the wife.
And btw I've had her up to 165mph gps on a nice desert road and she loved it......so you don't ALWAYS have to go slow with the wifey
She rode back seat for the first 4 years of our relationship. One day she up and decided to take the basic course on base and bought a bike... I was supportive- and she does like to ride ride. Up to this point, there hasn't been even a close call. She rides to work at least twice a week and we do weekend rides to Bisbee and Nogalas. She went from a Yamaha 250, to a Star 650, to the Ninja 650R. We had it lowered 1.5 inches for her to touch.

I like her on the pillion- but she has a bit of an independent streak.

I expect her to be back in the saddle soon.
__________________
I got nothin'....
Hookapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014