Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #26476
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. Inspiration here.
Cool story. I'm not depressed, or huge, just 30lbs from where I was/should be. That, and in a rut. It happens

I do have The Time Crunched Triathlete, but as a stay at home dad, that won't work. I will look into the TCC.

I just thought some of you might have a good three month winter program you liked to use to really tune up over the "off season". There is one on BeginnerTriathlere.com that I may end up using....

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #26477
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
fixed.
Of course it's easier. That's why it's more enjoyable. Enjoying things because they're inherently unpleasant and dangerous is an indication of mental illness.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #26478
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,257
Just being an ass... and who said anything about unpleasant?? I love the challenge of steep/super technical, but smooth and flowing is cool too; here in New England there just isn't much to be had. Those FL trails (from what I've seen on the webz) look fun as hell. This is a mototcycle forum; 99% of us like things that are dangerous...

If liking things that are unpleasant and dangerous is indication of mental illness, you'd see more big-pharma sponsoring/promoting triatholons. Or Dakar. Or Harley Davidson.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:14 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #26479
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just being an ass... and who said anything about unpleasant??
How can climbing up steep hills not be unpleasant? That's the kind of riding I did for years. Where I lived, you were either going down a steep hill or going up one. Thinking back on it, most of what I remember is constant burning pain in my legs and exhaustion. Kids weren't given cars by their parents in those days, so bicycling was basically the only way to get around. If the terrain were like that here, I'd give up bicycling altogether.

Quote:
I love the challenge of steep/super technical, but smooth and flowing is cool too; here in New England there just isn't much to be had. Those FL trails (from what I've seen on the webz) look fun as hell. This is a mototcycle forum; 99% of us like things that are dangerous...
'Challenging" shouldn't equated with "dangerous" or "unpleasant". There are technical trails I enjoy, but these are not physically exhausting like some others. Mostly they're rock gardens and heavily rooted areas, with lots of sharp turns and occasional drops. There are other technical trails consisting of incredibly steep climbs -- the kind where you have to depend on momentum to get you to the top, because they're too steep to pedal up. And they also contain hazards which can send even experienced riders to the emergency room. I have yet to meet anyone who says they enjoy those trails; most seem to ride them only for bragging rights or to practice for an upcoming race.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #26480
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

It's mountain biking, man. It's dirty, difficult, dangerous, but fun as hell. The hills suck, but are balanced by the descents. Many people agree apparently; look at the trend in 6" all mountain bikes. Tons of people like riding the difficult/dangerous stuff. I'm talking New England here, too.... think of Colorado/Utah/BC.....

Tallbastid screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:44 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #26481
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I lived in hills of upstate NY for 17 years. Bicycling in that area is nothing but exhausting climbs and dangerously steep descents. Flatter is better.

Wait. This should turn into a lively debate.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #26482
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post

Sez the climber-type. Phooey! Give me a nice field sprint or velodrome any day over that UPhill shit.

M
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #26483
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Sez the climber-type. Phooey! Give me a nice field sprint or velodrome any day over that UPhill shit.

M
Used to be a climber - type...now I am "Gravitationally Challenged"

Still, I always loved the challenge of the climb and the thrill of the descents both mtn and road.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #26484
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,629
Quote:

Sometimes it's like every troll from bf.net has been distilled and is being posted here one per week...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #26485
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Still, I always loved the challenge of the climb and the thrill of the descents both mtn and road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Sometimes it's like every troll from bf.net has been distilled and is being posted here one per week...
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #26486
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's not unpleasant because your endorphins are flowing, you're in the woods with good friends, you're challenging yourself by having to pick the right line or walk up the unpleasantly steep hill, and you're rewarded with a dangerous, but adrenaline filled grin inducing descent on the other side. I was under the impression that this is why people mountain bike to begin with?
The kind of technical trails I prefer afford all those things, with the sole exception of steep elevation changes. But if it's steep elevation changes you want, you can get it without suffering the effects of severe exhaustion and lactic acid burn. Chuck Lennon mtb park, for instance, is one of several trails designed like a roller coaster. The climbs are steep, but by conserving your momentum from the steep descents that precede them, you don't wear yourself out. 'Gatorback', on the other hand, is the type of trail I'd never want to ride.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #26487
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome! We just don't have that around here. There's a trail in Vermont I rode a couple weeks ago, tough climb for about 30 minutes, feels like you're breathing glass.... then you reach the top and ride for about 2 miles on relatively flat singletrack, weaving through towering pines on super loamy/smooth soil. It was epic, the flow through there will bring me back in the spring for sure. If I'm able to, I'd love to check out Santos at some point. Until then, it's roots, hills and rocks around here.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #26488
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Sorry Yak if ya think I have invaded your treehouse but I have been subscribed to this thread since 2008 off and on. Sometimes my inner cyclist gets the best of me and I just have to comment.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #26489
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The kind of technical trails I prefer afford all those things, with the sole exception of steep elevation changes. But if it's steep elevation changes you want, you can get it without suffering the effects of severe exhaustion and lactic acid burn. Chuck Lennon mtb park, for instance, is one of several trails designed like a roller coaster. The climbs are steep, but by conserving your momentum from the steep descents that precede them, you don't wear yourself out. 'Gatorback', on the other hand, is the type of trail I'd never want to ride.

OK, What don't you like about that? THAT is mountain biking! That trail looks awesome!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #26490
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,400
I gotta get me one of those Go Pro's and video some of the technical trails we have here in CT. If Gatorback is one you'd never ride, you wouldn't like it here. There aren't many places where you can relax. Good for skills honing though! A good Orthopedic is a plus too!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: