Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Question Help me pick a 990...

Howdy All,

I was wondering if I could plumb the depths of the KTM Hive Mind to help me pick a 990. Please feel free to respond.

I currently own a Super Tenere 1200 and have ridden it across country twice and down to Key West once. In total I have put 18 k miles on since last January when I bought it. I've done about 2 k miles of dirt with it, mostly in Idaho, and it does surprisingly well. However, it's greatest weakness is leaving the ground, or rather, coming back down to the ground. On my last dirt ride I snapped a spoke and totally crunched my bash plate (thank goodness I had a bash plate, it did its job, no damage to the bike). I was catching air far too much with a 580 lb bike; it just isn't made for that.

On this same ride was a fellow on a KTM 990 R, and he didn't have to slow down quite so much when the little jumps (water breaks in the trail) came up, whereas I had to slow down and use lots of body english to deweight the bike as it hit a jump. Needless to say the guy on the KTM pulled away from me and led the pack all day. The Tenere is a highly capable adv bike, and indeed it excells in most categories. But I am looking for something more dirt worthy, more specifically something with more suspension that can better handle being airborne.

So bottom line is, which 990? Is the R the choice for me since it has the most suspension travel? Or is the R really that different from the other models as far as off road worthiness goes?

Oh, and I plan on getting a new 2012 990 or perhaps a 2011. I also plan on doing the TAT this summer with whichever one I buy.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote