Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #196
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
What a ride report!!!! Your pictures are awesome. I even stole a couple of them for my desktop... i hope it does not bother you..

Keep it up

Nicolas
As long as it is for your desktop and not for the ceiling of your bedroom ...
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #197
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

As beautiful as the Costa Brava is the crowded it becomes the closer I get to Barcelona. Too much traffic. I decide to take a little detour inlands and can't get rid of the feeling that this is so much more the Spain I had in mind than the now starting hotel areas, holiday villages and all this touristy facilities.

Nice tracks follow flocks of windwheels. They lead to me to the town of Morella.

Like a lot of Spanish villages Morella is crowned by an ancient fortress on top of the villages hill. Morella was able to save its city walls over the century.

I'm happy to stay in the same place as Carlos and his friends. They're on their weekend trip. Great bikes, cool riding and superb characters.

You should hear the sound of Carlos 1098. What an acoustic blast!

Unfortunately we've had only a few meters together.

Adios amigos, hope to see you again soon!

Dirk
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #198
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,216
sorry dude, last bunch of pics canīt be seen

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #199
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I'm seeing the pics OK.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #200
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

I see them as well ...
Anybody else having problems to see the pictures?

Cheers

Dirk
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #201
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
I see them as well ...
Anybody else having problems to see the pictures?

Cheers

Dirk
I'm seeing the pictures and they are causing me problems I feel inspired and want to get on my bike and go but it's raining outside, it's cold and it's December

Carry on sir,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #202
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,216
itīs ok right now

the wait was worth it

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #203
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
As beautiful as the Costa Brava is the crowded it becomes the closer I get to Barcelona. Too much traffic. I decide to take a little detour inlands and can't get rid of the feeling that this is so much more the Spain I had in mind than the now starting hotel areas, holiday villages and all this touristy facilities.
I agree man, much of the Spanish coastline is a big bummer, except Cabo de Gata, hopefully you checked that out. I cant wait to see what route you took through Murcia (where I live) and then Andalucia. I just got back from a loop around the Sierra Nevadas and there is some prime riding on the backroads of Andalucia thats for sure. Great report.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #204
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
I agree man, much of the Spanish coastline is a big bummer, except Cabo de Gata, hopefully you checked that out. I cant wait to see what route you took through Murcia (where I live) and then Andalucia. I just got back from a loop around the Sierra Nevadas and there is some prime riding on the backroads of Andalucia thats for sure. Great report.
Oh yes, I did Though I was surprised to find the road over the Mulhacen/Pico Valeta closed for private vehicles and the track from San Jose via Cabo de Gata to Almeria closed, too. Times are changing and it seems to better ride today because tomorrow it might be forbidden or impossible.

But you're so right: Andalucia is still a great riding place and it meets a lot of my (positiv) stereotypes about the country.

Hasta pronto

Dirk
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #205
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Leaving Morella it doesn't take long and I bump into another traveller. This time it's Thilo with his 12GS.

Before I'd started the jounrey I was quite concerned about how to cope with being alone for a very long time. Now I find that there's almost nothing to worry about. There'll be company if I keep on being open for new situations, new people.

Thilo is familiar with the mountain roads west of Valencia and it's a pleasure to follow him.

Due to the dry summers on the Iberian peninsula Spain is scattered with reservoirs. Especially the south with it's extensive agriculture suffers from the annual draughts. Now they're still carriying a lot of water but in autumn you'll find basins nearly empty. Thilo takes me to this really beautiful embalse.

Because Thilo has family in Valencia he needs to go there and I decide to accompany him into town. Valencia is home to a huge architectural experiment. The city and the architect Calatrava have started to build the Ciudad de las Artes y de las Ciencias, the city of arts and sciences. To me it was like experiencing the taste of the 23rd century.

The basic idea of Santiago Calatrava is to give buildings a rather organic design.

The builing in the front is an iMax-Cinema. What appears to be little wings are the doors/gates. Hard to believe but the entire glass constructions to the left and right can be opened like a garage door.

The conference center behind this road bridge is the most spectecular building to me. The liftet calotte gives space for a balcony.

Short break at the oceanografic institute.

The cinema again.

And the calotte of the Conference Center.

I've stayed for three days in the area and I must admit it was really exciting. But - there is a but - after three days I also felt that though this is a really astonishing place it's, let's say, sterile at the same time and I was enjoying the following days in the countryside even more.

Cheers for now

Dirk
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #206
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Wow. How did you get access to all those amazing buildings and manage to position the bike? The place looks deserted. Public spaces or did the authorities know you were coming to town armed with your image capturing paraphernalia

Cheers,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #207
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
Wow. How did you get access to all those amazing buildings and manage to position the bike? The place looks deserted. Public spaces or did the authorities know you were coming to town armed with your image capturing paraphernalia

Cheers,

Dickyb
Hi mate,
yes it's public space but usually for pedestrians. But in the evening there are only few people around and the place is huge. Some guards asked us (Thilo and me) if we were shooting for an advertisement. As soon as they were convinced that is was not for an ad they didn't bother us.

Cheers to beutiful Kas

Dirk
Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #208
JediMaster
Adam Lewis

Oddometer: 333
Thumb Nice work!

Hi Dirk

Nick Jones (aka Klous-1 / http://www.talesfromthesaddle.com/) sent me the link to your RR.

As a keen photographer myself I really appreciate the lengths you go to in order to capture the images you do.

I particularly like the set of night shots from Valencia. Fabulous. They are worthy of a place on anyone's wall.

Every morning I sit in front of my laptop with a cup of coffee, read the news and check this RR for updates. I'm pretty pissed off on the mornings there are none, so pull your finger out and "Git 'er dun"will ya...

Adam

ShortWayRound/Facebook

ShortWayRound Smugmug Gallery

Trails of North America...a photo journal

Trails of South America (PtI)... a photo journal

"The brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all" - unknown philosopher
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #209
x-box
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
WOW!! wow........

From old history to modern art - translated with superb photographs

Finding it difficult to wait for each new installment

Most enjoyable!!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #210
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Hi Dirk
I particularly like the set of night shots from Valencia. Fabulous. They are worthy of a place on anyone's wall.
Thank you very much Adam, and thank you Nick for directing people ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Every morning I sit in front of my laptop with a cup of coffee, read the news and check this RR for updates. I'm pretty pissed off on the mornings there are none, so pull your finger out and "Git 'er dun"will ya...

Adam
So I'll try to make as many of your mornings as possible good ones. But, as you mention it, me as the who started this thread I also check on the the updates meaning the comments. That's a strong motivation go keep on telling the story. I guess that's how a lot of the story tellers feel like. An artist feeds on the applause of the audience. Here in the forum the storytellers feed on the comments ;-) So thank you and all the others writing their words for giving me a nice menu almost everyday!

Cheers

Dirk