bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #677
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian View Post
Snowed in somewhere? Eaten by wolves?

Nothing to amazing to see here but with this picture you can see me with all my get up on and why i dont feel the cold as much as you mere mortals

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #678
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a quiet day today still really cold we had lots of snow here last night made the other day seem light so no riding for this little black duck today in fact i didnt venture out of my room till lunch time, oh its a hard life. The only drawback to doing that at this time of the year in Europe is you only have 4 and a bit hours of a day left, it certainly is taking some getting used to being in the pitch black at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Went up the road for dinner to grab a kebab it was bloody freezing so had a short walk around town having a bit of an optical on the local wildlife which there is just so much of and then headed back to my nice warm and snug cave.
Dont know what it is about this town but there is certainly an amazing amout of females to guys in all the restaurants theres like 20 chicks and one or two blokes and I mean in all of them, anyone would think its a lesbo town, ok that might offend some viewers lol but hey its true. In saying that, every girl is so friendly and chatty I reckon if you came here in the summer time it would be a great time, not that it isnt now its just that there covered from head to toe and being a mere male i prefer the old skimpy outfits . I met a local guy and we got chatting about it and I asked him did all the guys just kill each other in the war theres got to be some reason theres none of you around, but hey who am I to complain I need them odds.

Met Mario an American guy over on holidays from working in Kabul Afghanistan, he's here to let his hair down or what he has of it anyway, what a character he is pretty normal American outspoken loudish but really friendly a really nice dude. Mario was showing me some pictures of a surfcamp he is involved with in the Panama which looks pretty cool, good waves by the look of it. You can tell he's been in a camp in Afghanistan locked away from women for awhile hes in full on attack mode ahahaha and i thought i was bad Im a responsible citizen when it comes to chicks compared to him haha

I have to say Slovenia is really a great place, the people here are all just fantasticly friendly fron the very first person I met in the service station to the girls at the castle just everyone ive had the good fortune to come across has been really nice. Id have to say without a doubt it has come to the top of the list of favourite countries in Europe going past Scotland, if your ever thinking of coming to Europe definatly put Slovenia on your intinary the people here are just amazing and nearly all of them speak really good English which helps with communication there simply just a lovely lot of people.

Mario trying on his luck with a very beautiful friendly local girl working in one of the stalls

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:06 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #679
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Headed out for a walk around town with Mario today, the snow had been pretty heavy yesterday and last night and as we walked the street we were nearly hit by a whole heap falling off the roof of one of the buildings it fell right after us and right in front of this pregnant chick, I wonder how many times people have been hit on the head by a an avalance of snow off a building, it must happen now and then, im sure its funny when it happens it is only snow, the old saying its only funny till someone gets hurt then its hilarious springs to mind.

I took Mario over to the Thats Mad restautant for the lunch, again was really nice, cost us a bit more but the serving size of the local soup was huge, even to big for me and thats saying something.

Walked around to the local stalls tochat to a few of the girls, look there is girls everywhere did I mention that already ha ha done ask me to pronounce there names you would have to spell them out and even then id be lucky to remember them the J is like the I the I is like something else I dont know ive already given up where the hell is Sue or Julie.
We headed back to the hotel for awhile to relax I wanted to catch up on some uploading more photos to my blog I still get messages from people that are readig it for the first time so to add some photos of the early days when there wasnt such good internet.

Going through the old blogs is fun to it brings back good memories of some of the adventures ive already have, shit its been nearly 2 years since i left home and 18 months since I arrived in Africa so theres a lot of good times in there and to read back over them while adding some new photos is cool to remember them, I really should spend even more time adding more and more photos, I know there still people that read my blog for the first time even now.

I went back out for a walk there was the Christmas parade going on which was so weird man, these dudes worship the devil its crazy lol oh ok its the arrival of Saint Nicolas but the street parade was all these evil looking dudes in big horned masks people dressed up as the devil a big fat dude breathing fire then St Nic on a truck made to look like a cloud.

At one point one of these scary looking dudes with the big horns came over to the crowd where I was standing and roared at one of the little kids and grabbed her dad out onto the street and started whippiing him with some hair whip the little kid was screaming in terror was friggin hilarious, I actually felt safer up in the protests the other day with the water cannons and tear gas and a 150 cops banging on their shields than I did standing in this parade, bloody classic. Each to their own hey but its certainly one to see.

After the parade finished i walked up to a camping shop I had found earlier they didnt have any tent poles but could fix mine so the boys there fixed it for me, they charged me for the pole but it took the giys 20 minutes to put it all together and he only charged me 4 euro, I tried to give him more but he wouldnt have it, again these people are just so nice., maybe I look like a homeless bum and they feel like they are giving to charity or something.

So my tent peg is all good to go so if I do need to camp i can look its a little cold to be camping but when i get south I might wack the tent up a few days to save a few bucks if the weather is ok , its just nice to know I can put it up without it possibly blowing down in the middle of the night. The actually repair job I had done with it was quite good im sure it would of been ok it took us quite a bit of elbow grease to break it where I had put it back together.

Headed back up to the hotel to drop the tent poles off and met up with Mario so we were are off into town for a drink. Was 8'ish by the time we got to a bar Mario new, there was alot more people around tonight obvioulsy being the day St Nic comes to deliver all the pressies everyones out I guess its like out christmas eve back home, they give the gifts to each other on christmas eve at home, here santa come of the 6th of December or whatever date it is 7th 8th im not sure.

We were sitting at the bar this local guy comes on over standing there all quitely and then we say hello to him and then hes off, was so funny went from peacful mild mannered man to raving lunatic in 30 seconds, what a classic character though and we ended up having a great night with him. Dont even ask me his name now, shit i usually make sure I remember but I have no idea but he was a real estate agent into development in Slovenia was very succesful but like all real estate in the last few years had come on tough times then to top that off his wife had been killed in a car accident so probably helps you in becoming a raving lunatic who likes to get drunk, but again just really friendly.

I ended up on the Jack Daniels so pretty pissed in the end. Had a chat to a few of the girls one gorgeous Danish girl that worked in the consulate there but the night was pretty much a hitting the piss with our new made friend, what a classic he was.

Cant remember what time it was but not that late maybe after midnigth 1 oclock or something like that. I was going to leave tomorrow, its supposed to be 3 degrees so as good as its going to be in the next few days oh well ill see how I feel in the morning, yeah right as if.

Pretty crappy picture as I used the video kore but you can see the scary dude that frightened the crap out of the little kid and had her screaming

the boys at the camping shop that fixed my tent pole, these Slovenian people are fantastic

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 09:56 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #680
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up this morning thought about going but fook me it was cold, Vesna was in the kitchen at breakfast time working her cute little ass off, Shes really nice I must admit if I wasnt thinking Ev as much id probably have a shot at the title with her ha ha

Was hanging around went for a walk thinking fook me its cold then one of the guys came in and said it was -3 yeah ok thats why it felt so cold, good excuse to relax and do sweet fa and thats exactly wha I did. Had a walk out tonight and went and chatted to a couple of the friendly locals ive gotten to know around town some of the girls that work in the stalls are just so nice thouht if I was going to bump into Mario and his mate it woudl be somewhere down that way and sure enough there they were, we walked back to the hotel and got a couple of Kebabs on the way and just went back and hung around having a chat Mario has a date with a friend later one of them garunteed friends if you know what I mean.

Just hanging out packing all my gear up im out of here tomorrow rain hail or shine got to start making tracks im a little hesitant to go out of the EU as im not sure they will let me back in cause the fisrt stamp i have is way back in August but I have been into the Uk twice with them both times giving me 6 months to stay there, for the first time since getting here I did a bot of research on visa stuff for here and apparently you are only allowed 90 days in the EU Shengnan zone which is the mainland you know france germany etc etc and the you have to leave but the one little loop hole they do leave open is that when you get the chunnel out of England they dont stamp you out of the UK or into france so offically im still in the Uk even if I have been running around the EU for a few months now.

Look im probably not over the 90 days by much oh ok I probably am a but hey im not here to work and the amout of money im spending they would be doing me a favour booting me out. So using this technique you could realistically stay in the the UK for 6 months before you have to leave and do the 3 moinths in the Eu a total of 270 days or nine months beofre leaving, look that is always at the discretion of the border control immigration ghuy if hes having a bad anythign coudl happen and you could be arrested fined and have illegal immigrant stamped in your passport but hey when in Rome im going to give it a shot ill find out in the next few dyss if im arrested and an illegal immigrant i suppose lol.

Im a bit hesitant to go across ionto the Balkans for this reason but hey you only live once ill deal with it when it comes up all im innocent of really is being a dickhead and not researching my visa requirements earlier, hey feel free to not remember any of this if you do it.

Mario and Luigi and a nice English girl we met along the way grabbing dinner at the local Kebab shop

Ljubljana by night its certainly a nice town city or whatever you want to call it

One of the grand old buildings in the centro

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #681
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Heres a little map of my adventure so far its only about 4 inches long and its taken me nearly 2 years shit not to impressive when you look at it hey, it doesent show my little side trips to Thailand New Zealand and some of Oz which may make it look better ill have to update it sometime its taken me two years to do that I wish someone had told me its hit the print screen button earlier massive doh

Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #682
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok it was time to head off id been here long enough bumming around and as much as i like it I had to get out of here before I get snowed in and have to stay for the winter, I really have to get somewhere warmer soon this is ridiculous and its only a week or so into winter, everyone including Ev are saying I should stay and experience a real European winter ahahahahahah yeah right as if 6 hour max long days freezing your tits off all the time no thanks you guys send me a postcard and let me know how its going.

Was up early at ariound 8:30 just missed Mario he was off to Italy then home to the states for awhile so had breakfast and packed up the bike. Vesna wasnt around either she had gone to Lienz in Austria to go skiing I loved that town its beautiful there, we had said our goodbyes yesterday shes another really nice local and the hottest ass ahahaha im pretty sure she had a head i could hear something coming from up there now and then ahah
Hit the road and road i think it was like 1 or 2 degrees celcius so not to bad with all my gear on, I wasnt exactly sure where i was going but towards Croatia down towards the coast. The Gps had me going through Zagreb but with a -10 forcast for the tomorow i thought id just get to the coast it would have to be a bit warmer over there.

Was riding along snow covered hills the road was dampish so was being careful you just never know when theres going to be ice so didnt get it over 140 lol should only slide for about 50 to 70 metres at that speed if I do hit the deck, look it wasnt that bad I was staying in the dryer line the trucks had created so was ok, famous last words that hey.

i came to the border crossing I was hoping everything would go ok, I was a little nervous actually but in the end it was ok. The guy at the gate questioned me and said you have overstayed your visa you are only allowed to be here for 90 days and I just said I came up through Africa and then went across into London and ive just come back out and im leaving to go home and when I caught the train in the UK nobody stopped me to stamp my passport and you are the first person ive come across.

Im pretty sure he knew the story hes not a dumbo and has probably seen it a hundred times before but unless he arrests you and goes through all your intinary and susses out what hotels you have stayed at theres no proof.
Anyway he lets me through with no problems all good phew I think as I ride away that could of gone either way, now ive just got to get back into the EU somewhere in the next month or two. They do say its alot slacker down the southern regions and I didnt even get stamped when i entered Greece origianlly so the first place I was even stopped was the Uk in August so heres hoping the same thing happens if I do decide to go that way, if I dont get let in ill jsut shoot across Maqcedonia and into Bulgaria and down to Turkey for awhile still lots to see and do down there. I am hoping I get back in I want to go over to Spain Portuagal and Morocco then up to Scandinavia next year before I head across to Russia and Siberia.

i hit the expressway and my first greeting is a gorgeous blonde chick in the toll booth, shit this looks good blonde big tits beautiful i nearly got off to take a picture im only blogging cause ill never forget here and dont want too what an introduction into Croatia, maybe thats why she works there, first impressions count and mine was great. Ok she wasnt the first the first was the immigration guy at the border he had a chat and said you got to try our local beer but dont drink and then ride thats all.

Stopped in Rijeka and had a look around came across a nice freindly local dude taking some pictures so had a chat to him for awhile he gave me the tip on a few places to head so off I went down the E65 apparently this si the coast road you have to ride if you are a motorcyclist.

Ended up in a village called Novi something ill have to google it south of Rijeka anyway. Vinodolski it was, thanks google.

I was starting to feel the cold by then had covered about 200 odd k's and ridden in and around Rijeka as well so had been on the road for a few hours which was enough for the day, plus its out of season here so to find something open is a mission in itself but fortunatly I came across a nice little hotel after stopping at two three with no luck and in I went done and done for the day and im in Croatia.

The local Croatian dude I stopped and had a chat to just outside of Rijeka, his dad was from Mozambique originally. I told him he would have to go one day its beautiful down there but he was scared of flying so I just said get old like me and then when you die in a plane crash you havent lost that many years, was a nice guy a uni student from inland Croatia dont ask me the town one of them weird names again.

First little port town south of Rijeka Croatia

Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #683
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The people at this hotel have family that live in Perth Australia so sort of close to home. the son can speak good English and had a good chat with him last night over a beer. I was going to leave today but the expected front came in and man it was a beauty there was no way I was riding today as much as I would of loved the challenge. I walked outside to see what it was like and nearly got blown off my feet and there was debri flying around everywhere it was amazing. If you get hit by sheet of metal when its flying at that speed your dead so it would of been just silly to go and totally out of my control. i know, pussy but you had to see it to believe it was amazing. Apparently Zagreb had the most snow fall in a single day in 60 years so im glad I didnt go that way id probably be stuck there for awhile im sure. Oh well ill be leaving in the morning rain hail or shine I dont care no internet baby and im out of here.

There is no internet here which sux so no blogs or pictures uploaded which would of been good to kill the time with but oh well ill get to it eventually, ive been a bit slack uploading my stuff for a few days now but ill get around to it.

Heres a pic of the bora wind it was amazing ive stood at Cape Byron in a cyclone and this was every bit as strong as that. i took this at around 3pm as it started to clear a little. If you look closely you can see some tiles that had blown off the roof across the way there was tiles on my balcony so we lost a few to obvioulsy, im amazed there wasnt more smashed glass all around

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #684
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok woke up this morning had to go down and check on the bike after last night and man it was cold, had to get a paint scraper and scrape the ice off my seat no joke it was a block of ice, classic fooked if im sitting on that hahahah
It was still really windy and the road was very icy so I left it till 12 to give it time to thaw out a bit ahahah yeah good thinking bozo. I knew it was going to be a suss ride but oh well whats the worst that can happen i come off meh i got to stack eventually, ive seen a few ambulances flying around in the last 24 hours so they have medical care if i do come a cropper, think positive man im not going to stack ever ...................... again ahahahah

I'll just upload my photos of the day and blog with them it was a fun ride let me tell you.

poor little fishys must be cold in this block of ice after last night ok there was none in it obviously but it gives you some idea of how cold it is and what the road could be like.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:10 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #685
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Yeah righto the roads closed but you better put a barrier right across the road if your going to stop me, rode for about 45 minutes and eventually got stopped by a policeman sitting on the side of the road, he said its forbidden and asked for my licence and rego, I tried to get off the bike to get it for him but couldnt let go of the bike as it was going to blow straight over, I tried a few angles to try and park but everytime I had to stand and hold onto the handlebar and lean back to stop it from falling, he could see how much trouble I was having trying to keep the bike upright and in the end just said If I get stopped again I never saw him and let me go on, must admit it was a tad breezy ahahahahaha Ill have to google how strong the winds were cause they were certainly the strongest ive ever ridden in and ive been in some windy places

Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #686
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I came across this tunnel along the road and even I hesitated, I was thinking, I reckon ol Dracula himself would have second thoughts about going through here with all these ice spikes dangling from the roof and dropping off intermidently, I thought I wonder what would happen if one lands on you, fortunatey Im still wondering, not to mention the road itself was like a block of ice so you couldnt just rush through, friggin crazy shit, needless to say I was laughing my head off as I did it. If your wondering what it was like and how I felt go get your bike ride across a ice skating rink stick a couple hundred knives from the roof and hang them by a thread ahahaha

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #687
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The E65 down the Croatian Adriatic coast is beautiful but make sure you do it when there isnt ice all over the place and its blowing a gail, would be great fun and not such a chore, though I must admit I love that edge it gives the ride when you think you could be on your ass at any second.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #688
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The ride was soooo windy but there was so many great sites to see. Getting close to Zadar further down the coast it was a little more protected by the wind so had the chance to stop and take a few pictures

Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #689
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Mmmm I wonder whats on the menu here tonight better stop and find out.

Arrived in Zadar safe and sound what a great days riding even if a little challenging, found my self a little apartment 50 euros a night right in the centre of town. The weather is supposed to be a little crappy over the next few days then improve and ill move onn down to Split after ive been able to have a ride around and look at some of the islands around here, cool hey what a day.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:09 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #690
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
Nothing to amazing to see here but with this picture you can see me with all my get up on and why i dont feel the cold as much as you mere mortals

Running out of cash and making some extra money for the local kindergarten????
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote