Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Barnstormer OP
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,228
Arkansas Lumber history request

Hello!
I've got some family history connected to the lumber business in Arkansas and Oklahoma from the early 1900's to the 1970's or so. I am on the hunt for memorabilia from Dierks Lumber Company, which operated in the Ouachita area of western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma. It's kind of an "American Pickers" via ADV.
So, if anyone has or comes across old stuff that is related to Dierks Lumber, and are willing to part with it, I'd be super interested.
Even if you aren't willing to part with it, I'd love to see a picture!

Thanks!
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
Hello!
I've got some family history connected to the lumber business in Arkansas and Oklahoma from the early 1900's to the 1970's or so. I am on the hunt for memorabilia from Dierks Lumber Company, which operated in the Ouachita area of western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma. It's kind of an "American Pickers" via ADV.
So, if anyone has or comes across old stuff that is related to Dierks Lumber, and are willing to part with it, I'd be super interested.
Even if you aren't willing to part with it, I'd love to see a picture!

Thanks!
I have a book titled "Sawmill - The Story of the Cutting of the Last Great Virgin Forest East of the Rockies" by Kenneth L. Smith. If you do not already have it, it might be worth purchasing. It details the logging of the Ouachitas and the part the four Dierks brothers - Hans, Herman, Peter and Henry - played in it. There are a couple of pictures of Hans and Herman in the first chapter. The book is available at Amazon for $17.95. Interesting reading.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Barnstormer OP
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,228
Thanks for the idea- Peter is my great grandfather, and I've got a copy of the book. I've got a reasonable amount of the family history stuff, what I'm really looking for is Dierks Lumber merchandise. There was a lot of stuff produced over the years (promotional stuff, signs, etc...) and I'd love to find some stuff like that.

Thanks!
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 110
Great area to ride

Here's a suggestion. I'm in the lumber business in SW Okla since 1965, up until the 1980s there were a huge number of small sawmills in Arkansas, lots of consolidation and timberland has been bought up by the big timber companies. Deirks is still in operation. You might plan a DS or big bike ride and try to visit as many of the small towns in a 100 mile or so radius of Deirks, Ark. You will find that some of those towns still have small town lumberyards open that date back to the earlier days of Deirks Lumber. Many will be shuttered but still standing, a little research may lead you to the property owners an access to the old store(s) which may have some of the items you are looking for still hanging on the walls, in desks, store rooms, cabinets, etc. You may have to pay a bit like "Pickers" or they may be happy to give them to you. I think you'll find small town Arkansawers to be very friendly and accommodating. The area is low mountains and valleys with great roads, paved and dirt, and a great place to ride.
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
I have to second the Sawmill book. It is well written and has caused me to find a few of the old sawmill towns. The museum in Mt. Ida sold me mine for $18, and I feel like it helped them pay the light bill.

I haven't looked for Pine Valley, OK yet. I know it's near Muse.
I wish I had one piece of brozine (company money) from any of the old towns.

After deer season when we have some warm weather a sawmill town ride would be fun.