Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #16
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post

Question presented: how the hell did I get a huge gash on my knee without road rash? Either a) the skin below my knee pulled on the pavement and the skin ripped above the knee or b) the nut holding the crash bars somehow sliced it on my way off. Either way, the answer is, of course, PANTS.
e.
Similar thing happened to me 36 years ago, Honda SL125 in an empty grassy lot on the hood. Wearing helmet, gloves and boots - and Levi's. Went down and got up, picked the bike back up and started riding. Then noticed my L knee covered in blood. Absolutely no damage to the jeans, not even a grass stain. The skin obviously got pulled apart without damaging my jeans, back then I thought maybe it had got tangled up in the back of the front fender because the laceration was curved at about the same shape as the fender edge.

Glad you're basically ok. I LUV gravel. Just not when it's overlying pavement.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
der_saeufer OP
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineareagle View Post
One of the reasons I like my 'stich' You put on the jacket, the pants are right there as well.

Plus when you slide your jacket, or your pants don't slide apart and leave you exposed and

You can don it over anything and strip it off in 30 seconds at stops Plus

Who the hell would steal a 'stich'? You just leave on your bike or at worst run a cable through it and lock it n the bars.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward going this route. They're so damned expensive, though, especially when I already have a good jacket, but the ease of use is awesome, and they appear to last literally forever. Time to post in the Flea Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Similar thing happened to me 36 years ago, Honda SL125 in an empty grassy lot on the hood. Wearing helmet, gloves and boots - and Levi's. Went down and got up, picked the bike back up and started riding. Then noticed my L knee covered in blood. Absolutely no damage to the jeans, not even a grass stain. The skin obviously got pulled apart without damaging my jeans, back then I thought maybe it had got tangled up in the back of the front fender because the laceration was curved at about the same shape as the fender edge.

Glad you're basically ok. I LUV gravel. Just not when it's overlying pavement.
After I sent some hi-res pics of my knee to my med student brother, he was convinced that's what happened to me as well.

I love gravel roads, but gravel on smooth pavement is the devil. Also I found a piece of it, so here it is for all to see. It's HUGE (I wear XL gloves):
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
roadrunner_122
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I hate stones on pavement .

I am one of those old Harley Riders that doesn't always wear full protection I do wear a helmet most of the time, even though it is not required by law in Arizona. I have been down twice, both times while wearing full leathers ect, and both times when I was riding more aggressivly that I should have been. The first time I totalled my 96 Ultra, the second time I only got a few scratches on my 06.
Of course I wonder what would happen if I went down and was killed, but then again I figure I would die on my Harley, and I am old enough I know I am going to die someday in the near future anyway. So at least I would die doing something I love.
But I have noticed that a lot of riders wearing full protection do tend to ride very aggressivly. So I also wonder if there is a relationship between the fact that they are well protected and the aggressive riding style?
roadrunner_122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
Basically wear what you want to crash in.

Wise words. Round glacial pebbles on top of pavement create a very risky surface. I slid my Vee this past summer near Consul Saskatchewan on hwy#13; an old paved road that had been resurfaced using deep gravel. I knew it was risky and was riding at a speed (about 60kph) that I felt comfortable to crash in. Minor scrape on the Vee and just dust on my Aerostich Road Crafter suit.

Wear what you want to crash in.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 664
I always wear Dianese knee/shin guards and they've saved me twice now. Once on a gravel road and once coming down the wrong side of mountain in CO. Most riding pants have soft knee pads that will not stay in position and won't help much. Knees are expensive and one of the first things that hit.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-knee-v-guard
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #21
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 783
Eek jeans can be bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
...Question presented: how the hell did I get a huge gash on my knee without road rash? Either a) the skin below my knee pulled on the pavement and the skin ripped above the knee or b) the nut holding the crash bars somehow sliced it on my way off. Either way, the answer is, of course, PANTS....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
... Then noticed my L knee covered in blood. Absolutely no damage to the jeans, not even a grass stain. The skin obviously got pulled apart without damaging my jeans, ...
In fact I have known more than one person this has happened to, including myself. The jeans and/or jeans like fabric when loose around the leg has quite the friction level on skin and pulls the skin a lot when it is rotated in a crash. When the pants don't rip the skin often dose, almost better when the pants do rip. quite the bummer.
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Glad the damage wasn't worse. Also watch out for rocks on some of those roads in the Angeles Forest. I've seen baby-head-sized rocks and bigger in blind corners, particularly after wind storms. The sport bikers around here who blow through those corners at double the speed limit (or more) are nuts.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
If I dump a bike on the pavement, I'd sure rather it be my ds than one of my sportbikes.......dualsports are WAAAAAAY cheaper to fix
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
guavadude
de-composer

depends on the bike, BMW plastic is made of unobtainium and is expensive!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
depends on the bike, BMW plastic is made of unobtainium and is expensive!
True dat
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
So for a newbie just getting into dual sport riding what kind of protective gear do you all recommend? What mid-range price boots, pants, and jacket have you found to be comfortable, protective, and worth the money?

Thanks...
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Clint:
A really good suggestion would be buy the best you can afford! Don't compromise! Your gear will out last your motorcycles. I've probably owned 5/6 motorcycles in the last 25 years and have used the same Areostich Roadcrafter on all of them. Not saying that's the only thing I've worn. But I'm still using it none the less. It wasn't cheap then, they aren't now! My dad always said buy the best you'll rarely be disappointed! Select what you buy carefully! You can get a lot of information on this site as to what people like and don't like. Most of us have been around the block. A lot!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
Clint:
A really good suggestion would be buy the best you can afford! Don't compromise! Your gear will out last your motorcycles. I've probably owned 5/6 motorcycles in the last 25 years and have used the same Areostich Roadcrafter on all of them. Not saying that's the only thing I've worn. But I'm still using it none the less. It wasn't cheap then, they aren't now! My dad always said buy the best you'll rarely be disappointed! Select what you buy carefully! You can get a lot of information on this site as to what people like and don't like. Most of us have been around the block. A lot!
Thanks!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
guavadude
de-composer

probably better to start a new clothing thread, you'll get more responses.
Google too, there's a ton of info out.

I think a high quality full face helmet and good quality boots are where I'd start.
Jackets and pants will depend on where you live and the type of riding you do.
I live in TX and the summers are brutal.

Shoei RF-1100 and a Shoei Hornet for offroad, I wear a Tourmaster HiViz Epic jacket in spring, winter and fall and I just got a BMW Airshell Summer jacket in Hiviz to upgrade the Cortech summer jacket I've been using which isn't hi viz. I like being seen.

Sidi Goretex Canyon boots, First Gear Air pants with added hip pads (one of the few brands that have a "short" length pant, Dianese shin/knee guards and N2 kangaroo gloves.
Patagonia Capilene 2 or 3 underneath. I put on a Gerbing heated jacket when it's really cold.

I bought everything on sale, so keep an eye out for deals.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
guavadude
de-composer

when buying gear ask what your ankle, head, knee, hands etc are worth. I've taken a few spills and hopped up and rode home all because of the gear. Just ease into it and prioritize. It's hard to buy the right stuff the first time out because you don't what you really need. I've done better than most and have only upgraded one jacket, one rainsuit and a few pairs of gloves. Some guys have a closet full of gear they don't use!