User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Honda55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
93 F150 rough running

I just picked up my grandfathers 93 F150. it has the 300 inline 6. it runs real rough right now. It has been sitting for the past 2 years. Before he let it sit, he got it all tuned up (new distributor cap, plugs, and wires.) I just bought plugs to replace them since they werre fouled. I havent had a chance to put them in since its raining. Right now, it will start sometimes and idle rough. Any input from the mechanics??

Thanks in advanced,
Andrew
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
How old is the fuel in the tank?

My last car was converted to run on LPG (propane), which is a common and much cheaper mainstream fuel here.
Some injected motors tend to clog up their fuel injectors when running on LPG; my car was particularly bad, so I just ignored the issue and never ran it on petrol (gasoline). After all LPG was under half the price, so why would you?

Shortly after I got my current car and converted it to run on LPG, I decided it needed a second LPG cylinder and discovered that, of the hundreds of sizes on the market, the cylinder in the old car was the largest that would fit in the available space. The government had just started a subsidy program for LPG conversions (I missed out!) and new tanks were very difficult to find so I took the tank out of my old car and fitted it to my new car.

This left me with a car which in principle would run on petrol, except the injectors were utterly clogged, so I bought a fuel rail and a set of injectors at the wreckers for next to nothing and fitted them.

Here's the relevant bit...
It ran like a dog. Rough idle, flat spots everywhere, just one very unhappy motor.

So I went out and bought a distributor cap and leads, and while I was out, I put some more petrol in it since it was almost empty.

Then I returned the cap and leads on my way back home again....

When I had a think about it, I realised that any petrol in the tank was at least two or three years old. Once I added fresh petrol it was fine.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,461
Before you start throwing parts at it, go pick up an old school engine analyzer and, learn what the readings mean.

LINKY
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
Does this have a carb or fuel injection? Dunno about 93 and too lazy to look it up right now.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Before you go too far...it may be sucking up water/crap from the bottom of the tank. If it was left sitting for a while without a stabilized full tank of gas, that may just be your problem.

My 83 Toyota "bush car" that I leave sitting for months and into which I dump all my "over 3 months old" fuel was doing the same recently, to the point of the moisture/crap finally plugging up the fuel filter. New fuel filter and because there is no Ethanol in our fuel I dumped some Methyl Hydrate in the tank.It is running much better now.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Pump out and fresh fuel it. Run Seafoam magic elixer through it. The fuel injectors may be clogged from sitting so long. As mentioned above (cryptically) check compression to see if there is a stuck valve. (Yes, we know that's a vacuum gage shown) Do your assignment, report back in a timely fashion.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Honda55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Running great now

Well I got impatient and put the new plugs on in the rain and it purrs like a kittens now. Sea foam and plugs was the answer. Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Cheers
Andrew
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda55 View Post
Well I got impatient and put the new plugs on in the rain and it purrs like a kittens now. Sea foam and plugs was the answer. Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Cheers
Andrew

Good job!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
more to story ,maybe

1993 f150 4.9 is injected ,#5 injector lays at a spot(in theory) where crap comes out of suspension . Fuel filter ,(in practice) is out of sight and no fun to change . Glad it runs better.
Regards,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
more to story ,maybe

1993 f150 4.9 is injected ,#5 injector lays at a spot(in theory) where crap comes out of suspension . Fuel filter ,(in practice) is out of sight and no fun to change . Glad it runs better.
Regards,Ed

ps 150k treated poorly ,250k if cared for
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote