Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #436
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
So the Rollie bags -- I am a Wolfman man for waterproof bits-- do you use their dirtbike rear mount on your FE? Does it strap on securely out of the box or did you need to hack up the side number plates with slots etc.? Also any thoughts on rear fuel tanks and that harness? (B1 I do remember your comment about passing straps under there but I still am not feeling good about having the bars/forks hitting the front tank so I reckon someday a rear tank might be in my future). This is the mounting "saddle" I'm talking about:

http://wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/rolie_mount_saddle.html
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #437
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
This picture?
Yes, what did you do to get it posted properly? I can build almost anything on a bike, I can rebuild engines, and I can't run a dog gone computer. LOL!
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #438
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Many countries have very different rules re HID lighting, so there is not one single definitive answer on the fitment or use of them. If you are only riding off road or in the middle of BFI then the retrofit HID probably isn't a worry to anything but some local wildlife.
One thing I hadn't thought to mention was the Federal DOT rules. Mostly, Federal DOT laws are only enforced on new vehicle manufacturers and commercial vehicles by officers with special training. Generally speaking, the average law enforcement officer does not enforce Federal laws or statutes, they enforce state laws. That's why I advised looking at your state vehicle code to find the law in your state related to these lights.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #439
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Yes, what did you do to get it posted properly? I can build almost anything on a bike, I can rebuild engines, and I can't run a dog gone computer. LOL!
In photobucket there will be a series of IP addresses under or near your selected photo.. one of them will be "direct link to photo" simply copy that .. .hit the little "mountain" icon at the top of any advrider reply box... and paste your copied link into the box that pops up.. I think there is a photo tutorial with cool arrows and stuff down in the Ask Baldy subforum.

And I am the exact opposite.. I can literally screw up an oil change...see my thread over in the Gspot forum... I would rather have your skill set.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #440
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
So the Rollie bags -- I am a Wolfman man for waterproof bits-- do you use their dirtbike rear mount on your FE? Does it strap on securely out of the box or did you need to hack up the side number plates with slots etc.? Also any thoughts on rear fuel tanks and that harness? (B1 I do remember your comment about passing straps under there but I still am not feeling good about having the bars/forks hitting the front tank so I reckon someday a rear tank might be in my future). This is the mounting "saddle" I'm talking about:

http://wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/rolie_mount_saddle.html

That is exactly the harness I have. I didn't modify anything to mount mine and it is very secure.

1997 DR350SE
2010 Husaberg FE450 (plated)
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #441
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
In photobucket there will be a series of IP addresses under or near your selected photo.. one of them will be "direct link to photo" simply copy that .. .hit the little "mountain" icon at the top of any advrider reply box... and paste your copied link into the box that pops up.. I think there is a photo tutorial with cool arrows and stuff down in the Ask Baldy subforum.

And I am the exact opposite.. I can literally screw up an oil change...see my thread over in the Gspot forum... I would rather have your skill set.
Thanks, maybe I can return the favor sometime and help you out before before you screw up a perfectly good oil filter. LOL!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #442
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
I wrote you a really long and detailed response since I have the same two bikes, then the site ate my post. Ugggg.....! Anyway, take the Husaberg. I put 35,000 miles on my KTM 525 before I bought the Husaberg. Lots of dual sport with gear, and what not camping for weeks at a time. i thought the KTM was the best bike ever. Then I bought the Husaberg, with 5500 miles on my 2011 Husaberg, I haven't ridden the KTM 200 miles since buying the Husaberg. The KTM is still a great bike, but the Husaberg is better. Buy some Wolfman or Giantloop luggage (i run Wolfman stuff), get a 70 degree fuel tank, place a really good inline fuel filter on your bike, and invest in a really good sprocket and chain (the original was gone in 3300 mile). Put the LED rear taillight on your bike, and ride it wherever. That's my advice. I'll try to post some stuff that I've done to the Husaberg to make it better, but none of that is absolutely necesary, except maybe adding a HID headlamp bulb so you can see at night. These kits can be purchased from HD Bright for around $80.
Thanks Brian, I rode them both back to back just to see how much different they felt. Wow , no comparison. The Berg feels like an F1 rocket . The 525 feels slow to rev & wont hold a line nearly as well. I have already done the tail light from Paul, rad fan, fuel sock . The biggest improvement has been taking off the tiller handlebars & putting on the narrow bars from the older KTMs. This greatly reduced steering effort & weighty feeling in the tight stuff where I ride mostly. It took a little effort to get all the switchgear back on but is well worth it . Now I dont have to go throgh the Pines with the frt wheel partly cocked to make it throgh the 32 inch width trails. Also not working out the Cycras nearly as much. It really is the closest thimg to 2T handling as I have felt in a 4T. I have 2 gear setups & extra rear wheel. 15/45 & 13/50 with extra chain. I prefer13/50, but right now I am running 13/45. I like the 13 because it really helps lofting the frt. over large obstacles. Also makes it feel lighter to me. I dont do enough trips to justify a subframe tank. .Cheers
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #443
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Thanks Brian, I rode them both back to back just to see how much different they felt. Wow , no comparison. The Berg feels like an F1 rocket . The 525 feels slow to rev & wont hold a line nearly as well. I have already done the tail light from Paul, rad fan, fuel sock . The biggest improvement has been taking off the tiller handlebars & putting on the narrow bars from the older KTMs. This greatly reduced steering effort & weighty feeling in the tight stuff where I ride mostly. It took a little effort to get all the switchgear back on but is well worth it . Now I dont have to go throgh the Pines with the frt wheel partly cocked to make it throgh the 32 inch width trails. Also not working out the Cycras nearly as much. It really is the closest thimg to 2T handling as I have felt in a 4T. I have 2 gear setups & extra rear wheel. 15/45 & 13/50 with extra chain. I prefer13/50, but right now I am running 13/45. I like the 13 because it really helps lofting the frt. over large obstacles. Also makes it feel lighter to me. I dont do enough trips to justify a subframe tank. .Cheers
Another option that is cheaper than a sub frame tank that I do also, and which will probably make people scream on this site, is a couple of 2 liter soda bottles. I ride long distances into the back country where no fuel is available and which drain both the stock tank and the subframe tank. I purchased two of Maxpedition's round bags which come with military style webbing and straps. A two liter soda bottle full of fuel fits inside of them easily and they mount to my existing luggage securely because of the straps and military webbing. It was a lot cheaper than the Safari tank, which I still could use in the country I ride, but it's nice having that extra gallon of fuel on board.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #444
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Ignition key on the FE 2012

So in Australia the FE's come keyless. Just push start and you're off. So people fit cut offs etc. My guy put in a little key that interrupts the starter but I wanted the "factory" key, so I ordered one.

Came in a KTM box... but looks like it might be for a KTM -- there's no place to plug the damn thing in...

Anyone done this / seen it / or just so damned smart they can give some advice?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #445
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000 View Post
That is exactly the harness I have. I didn't modify anything to mount mine and it is very secure.
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #446
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Tying things on

So, I was in REI this week, a rare treat for me seeing as the nearest REI store is 2.5 hours away. While wandering aimlessly and drooling on gear I'd like to have, I spotted some inexpensive yet quite useful items that I had to buy. In the backpacking area, they sell premade webbing straps with snap buckles already sewn in place. They were around $2 for a three foot length of strap with a nice snap buckle. I bought four, these hold bags and gear in place very well and you don't have to fuss with knots or bungee cords. Next, I was looking at the climbing and tenting supplies and I found some 1/8th in nylon parachute cord for around 7-8 bucks for 50 feet. I also found a couple of cord hooks made for this cord that have an eye and a ratcheting cam. All you do is feeed the cord through the eye, pull the cord tight and the cam holds the cord in place. The hook with the loop and cam set up was around $2 each. All of this is extremely light weight, strong, and will make for a great way secure gear onto the bike without bungee cords and etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #447
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
So in Australia the FE's come keyless. Just push start and you're off. So people fit cut offs etc. My guy put in a little key that interrupts the starter but I wanted the "factory" key, so I ordered one.

Came in a KTM box... but looks like it might be for a KTM -- there's no place to plug the damn thing in...

Anyone done this / seen it / or just so damned smart they can give some advice?

***EDIT***
I was mistaken and originally posted a photo of the headlight plug - fixed.

Looks exactly the same ignition as mine, here's where the North America FE570S plugs in:
I traced it and the wires get lost going into the main harness.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:48 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #448
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Laugh

I finally got the Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights wired up, needless to say it's just what the doctor ordered and am VERY happy with their output. Should be perfect for night time traveling, was on pavement tonight and think the BD LED's are too much when there's any traffic around. Ridiculously bright, the two make the exact same output as a BD Squadron with Combo lenses + my HID. Being a pretty focused/flat beam, the HID does have a bit of an advantage in long throw illumination when tipped up, the LED combo lenses fill in the rest perfectly.
I will probably black out the top of my fender to reduce the glare off the white plastic that is more obvious when standing, that reflection was there before from the HID, but with the LED's it's a necessity. Black Gaffers tape should do the trick.
The lenses are totally round and the pattern is circular, doesn't make a difference I have them mounted sideways.

Here's a few comparison photos shot on full manual with my camera to control the exposure, what you see is what it is.

The closest thing I have to the stock Husaberg headlight, a stock headlight on a CRF250L which might be a tad bit brighter than the OEM Husa/KTM headlight, but not much if I remember correctly, low beam.

CFR250L high beam

Husaberg HID headlight only.

Both Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights only

HID and Baja Design lights

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 06:07 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #449
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Lights

Nice pics of the lighting differences. I don't have quite that good of a set up, but the HID buld with one Vision X Solstice has made a huge difference. I can now see the deer on the way to work in the morning, not just vague shapes in the shadows as I ride past.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #450
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Wow, this looks like a great system. Got a pic of the light set up in the daylight?
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is online now   Reply With Quote