Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I might well have done, if I had known the costs up front but there you are, as I said, I am not digging out MG, they stock some great stuff, it is really UPS who are taking the piss

Oh yeah...I totally get where you're coming from. I'd be pissed at UPS as well: they gouged you. My point was that Gordon and his crew seem willing to go the extra mile with questions and service, so I don't think they'd mind if you asked them to ship USPS. Cool bike BTW.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
I forget which Ducati parts vendor it is, but one of them warns people to NEVER use UPS to ship things to Canada from the US. Apparetnly it's pretty common for UPS to tag on extra fees to the shipping on international stuff after it's left the vendor.

I used MG for some parts on my '74 Ducati. It seems that the same part number is often cheaper from a Moto Guzzi parts house than a Ducati parts house...
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
IIRC MGcycle will ship USPS if you give them a good reason.

+1 on calling them, never had a more friendly parts ordering conversation then with them.
Great people.

But dude, these things came from Italy.
There's got to be somewhere over closer to you that'd be a bit cheaper
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
IIRC MGcycle will ship USPS if you give them a good reason.

+1 on calling them, never had a more friendly parts ordering conversation then with them.
Great people.

But dude, these things came from Italy.
There's got to be somewhere over closer to you that'd be a bit cheaper
Yes, (thank you!),

have forgotten this hint, you may ask Stein-Dinse in Germany, these guys and women! are really helpful,
they are in my neighbor town situated, they speak English too.

The shop is a very good ressource for Italien bikes like Moto Guzzi and Ducati, they have also the complete Dell'Orto
carb production most parts even old NOS stock available. I have orderd many times there and never had a problem.

The next good thing no tax no custom fees for you from Great Britain as you trade inside the European Union, you can call them up, order online or via E-Mail.

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Moto-Guzzi:::1.html
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
BubbaJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Same happened to me in Ireland

Kev,

Every item sent in from USA to EU countries via UPS will be hit for customs duties etc as UPS get a fee for each one checked so it is in there interest to ensure that each packet attracts a charge regardless of its value. I will not deal with any company in USA that insists in using UPS to ship to Ireland as a result.

As previously mentioned by another poster Stein Dinse in Germany have an excellent website and provide a great service for all things Guzzi. Teo Lamers in Holland is also very good and has a great stock but postage rates for small orders are high if you do not negotiate price first.

Best of luck with your Goose and also keep up the great work on your Norton!!
From my bad judgement."
BubbaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
rbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
A real shame how you got gouged on the shipping and importation charges like that.

For your Guzzi parts, check out http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/. Pete runs a great business suppling MG parts our of his place in France. I'm sure you could have gotten a line on a set of handgrips at a much better price point after shipping than from MG Cycle in the US.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
UPS charged me GST (SALES TAX) on a $210 parcel from the US to Australia, which had a set of matching Acerbis jacket and pants.

Limit is supposed to be $1000- before tax is charged.

They claimed that any more than one item of clothing was a "commercial" transaction, and charged me GST on their estimate of the retail value in Australia, on the basis that I was a dealer and would be reselling the goods.

Apparently there is provision in the tax act for taxing multiple purchases if there is a likelihood that they are for resale, UPS decided that any more than one was multiple , even if the were different items

They also charged me a handling and estimate fee of around $120-, to cover their cost in ripping me off.

It took them about three weeks to do the valuation , so buy the time they sent me the bill It had taken almost six weeks, and as I wanted the outfit for a trip I just paid up - I wasnt going to get the goods any other way.

So I had to add $170- to the cost of my two piece suit, still cheaper than the list for it in Oz but not but as much as I was expecting.

IMHO UPS are just a bunch of common criminals, and I wont deal with anyone who uses them.

Never had any problems with USPS, cost wise or delivery.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
UPS charged me GST (SALES TAX) on a $210 parcel from the US to Australia
Claim it back as it is an invalid charge - tax collected where there is no legal obligation to pay tax. Have a look at the ATO website for their 'faxback' number and send them a letter along with copies of the receipts and so on. It will be interesting to find out if UPS have actually paid the GST component to the ATO, and really bad news for them if they haven't.
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #24
R85/8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Surely the contract UPS have is with the sender?

Thus they should be approaching the sender for any fees.

I would have told them to get stuffed.

Tax - fair enough.
R85/8 is offline   Reply With Quote