Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #61
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
More budget than another $8500 bike that has similar capabilities?
I found the Honda NC700X to be a more compelling offer. Granted, it's a smaller bike, but felt like better quality and is actually cheaper and gets better (though not by much) mpg. Less power though.

Other than that, if we are talking full price Wee, it's not a big jump to some other interesting bikes, though they are quite different. If we are talking about Europe, there are quite some good options around. US - not so much.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #62
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
1982 GS650..
Hey, isn't that THE original GS? All those BMWs are just imposters.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #63
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I owned a DL650 for about eight months. Wouldn't buy another. Great for money, pretty cheaply made overall. No comparison to other bikes I like. Cheap bolts and fasteners, rims as soft as butter, cheap plastics, bad seat foam, stupid layout for adventure touring, all the weight very high, cooler at a weird place, shitty fairing, too wide ass, really crappy suspension.

The engine is a total gem though. I'd like to see that one in a nicely designed, higher quality bike.
The Honda is not very popular in comparison the the stromI don't own a strom (yet) but I have to say the fasteners are going to be made to standards. and the seats are still there on high mileage bikes I see on ebay, and the rims likewise and they are ALU afterall, and the seat foam comes from the foam factory like the rest of bike seats.Want to talk bad seats then talk about the BMW's I've been riding. They are designed by women or neutered men. Who has these better materials you speak of? I'm not crusing for an argument,trying for some specific discussions here!-I've just been riding & wrenching a long time & find comments a little weak. Layout is too tall for me stock but otherwise what does an adv bike look like? Weight high?Hmm. Cooler I might agree with but where would you place on that bike? Fairings on an adv bike? Why? Cheaply made overall? i tested one & really liked the ride but I've only been riding since 1963, so lots to learn. Tires are crap. The wheel paint looks like rattle can glossy black and the engine arrangement could "look" better & have better ground issues covered.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #64
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
The Honda is not very popular in comparison the the strom
The Honda came to the US market this summer. There is absolutely no way to tell how popular it will be over time. Maybe more, maybe less. So far the aftermarket manufacturers seem to think it's a model worth developing for.

Regarding weight: not many manufacturers really think about how to make these things better. Tank goes in the classic position on top of the engine. BMW and Honda have gone different ways and for very good reason. The F models have the tank under the seat. The first I saw that was on the Honda ST1100 which had most of the tank behind the engine and under the seat. It felt incredibly nimble for it's weight of 300kg.

The Strom is just that: take lots of budget parts of the shelf, bolt them together without much love or purpose design, sell a bike. Fortunately for Suzuki they have made a few good decisions and have a great engine to bolt in so it is a well selling bike, but customers show pretty clear how they think the value is - resale on these is fairly low and dealers have to discount even the current model to be able to sell them. Not a good sign, but I guess typical for the target customer group.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #65
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
i think the vstrom 650 is in a league of its own. If you want a decent base point to build upon for commuting and gravel road exploring then the weestrom is it. to asnwer the question as to equal... perhaps a gladuis, or sv650. better option for more exploring and 2 up would be the super tenere.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #66
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
I found the Honda NC700X to be a more compelling offer. Granted, it's a smaller bike, but felt like better quality and is actually cheaper and gets better (though not by much) mpg. Less power though.

Other than that, if we are talking full price Wee, it's not a big jump to some other interesting bikes, though they are quite different. If we are talking about Europe, there are quite some good options around. US - not so much.
Yhe NC700X was about the only thing that came to mind. It certainly felt light to sit on.

For me, the lack of a manual transmission ABS model was a killer, but that probably won't last. When a standard shift ABS version hits the states it will take off - unfortunately it won't be for 2013. Too bad, I'd be all over it. I'm not sure how i'd like the 1/2 car motor, but I'd sure check it out. Similarly, an ABS versys would be great. Neither of these is likely to have the stability the dl650 has on the highway, though (that's the long wheelbase right there).

Still not getting the cheap fasteners thing. Fit and finish seems about the same on the newer dl650's as the nc700x.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #67
cug
--

Quote:
For me, the lack of a manual transmission ABS model was a killer, but that probably won't last. When a standard shift ABS version hits the states it will take off - unfortunately it won't be for 2013.
That was my complaint as well. I'm not interested in the bike anyways, but it's just again that absolutely stupid Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki policy to only bring half their EU models with half the options to the US.

Quote:
Still not getting the cheap fasteners thing. Fit and finish seems about the same on the newer dl650's as the nc700x.
That was the experience when taking apart a 2006 Wee. Super crappy fasteners on the fairing bits, lights, around the tank. Some rusting factory bolts, cheap chain adjusters (granted - same as on most other bikes), bad mirrors, soft metal on the passenger foot peg hangers (bent very easily), ... we sold the bike two years ago, so that's pretty much what I remember.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #68
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,098
Mind you, all these 600-700 "adv" bikes are built to a price point. Honda's XL700 Transalp has tank side cover plastics fitted on one end by velcro straps. And no adjustability on front suspension, which is pretty soft. Personally I wasn't too impressed with the new NC700X suspension either. I don't know where you got the idea, that only Wee has crap this and that. In fact they all share pretty crappy components, if you start to compare with some high-end stuff. But they still get the job done, obviously not for you, but for most people.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #69
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Regarding weight: not many manufacturers really think about how to make these things better. Tank goes in the classic position on top of the engine. BMW and Honda have gone different ways and for very good reason.
The specs say the NC700X is 4 kgs heavier than the new DL650 (both are curb weights). And its about 50hp vs. 70hp me, Id never cared about high horsepower, but the test ride on the NC still told me that compared to the DL its gonna feel exhausted heavily loaded on the motorways at least. And frankly it was bordering useless outside the tarmac, can go there no doubt, but really not further than your average streetbike can. The suspension is built for street only.

Other than those, it felt like a nice bike in many ways, fuel consumption according to tests is very low, and at that price, Id be surprised if it doesnt become popular.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #70
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Honda came to the US market this summer. There is absolutely no way to tell how popular it will be over time. Maybe more, maybe less. So far the aftermarket manufacturers seem to think it's a model worth developing for.

Regarding weight: not many manufacturers really think about how to make these things better. Tank goes in the classic position on top of the engine. BMW and Honda have gone different ways and for very good reason. The F models have the tank under the seat. The first I saw that was on the Honda ST1100 which had most of the tank behind the engine and under the seat. It felt incredibly nimble for it's weight of 300kg.

The Strom is just that: take lots of budget parts of the shelf, bolt them together without much love or purpose design, sell a bike. Fortunately for Suzuki they have made a few good decisions and have a great engine to bolt in so it is a well selling bike, but customers show pretty clear how they think the value is - resale on these is fairly low and dealers have to discount even the current model to be able to sell them. Not a good sign, but I guess typical for the target customer group.
"target customer group"-hmm...might be me?
"bolt together w/o much love or purpose"-hmm,hmm...love in the factory?
"well-selling" BUT "dealers have to discount"-hmm,hmm,hmm...so, your agreeing they sell well but have to be discounted for the kind of people that but them? They all have to get rid of stuff according to their business plan which for some includes discounting...
"budget parts off the shelf"-hmm...meaning which parts? I guess you know that many of the same companies make the parts for the mfg's...
"not many mfg's really think about how to make these better"-hmm...now that's really a doosie!
OK, now you can start in again on stroms...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #71
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I find it funny that everyone tries to compare the Wee to bikes costing twice as much and then bash it. When I was looking at a new bike I liked the Wee because of what it is. A very capable all around bike thats affordable. Im not sure there's much else that is close to a Wee that compares right now.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #72
cug
--

If you can afford any bike you like, why wouldn't you compare? Sure, you get a lot of bike for the money with the Wee, but sometimes that doesn't cut it for some people.

It's pretty much the same as everywhere else: you get 90% for 90% of the money, to get the remaining 10% you have to lay out another 90% money ...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #73
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
all I can say is there is no comparison to the wee. as said it is in a league of its own. I've had my bike since new (late Nov. 07). it has 50,000 trouble free miles. loaded up with camp gear and i get gas mileage in the mid 50's close to 60 mpg. i can hang with guys who ride 1000 cc bikes all day and I'm not beating on the bike what so ever. no where near redline. I have put over 1500.00 into it by adding luggage and other farkels, but those have simply improved the machine for my needs.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #74
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

just look @ where you'd be if you spent the other 90% toward a better bike instead of a strom
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #75
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It's pretty much the same as everywhere else: you get 90% for 90% of the money, to get the remaining 10% you have to lay out another 90% money ...

That's what the manufacturers will want you to believe.

But if the Wee's philosophy was 90% bike for 90% of the money, it would not sell much. But think 80-90% of the bike for half the money, then you get a lot of people interested. Being one of the most bulletproof bikes out there comes as a bonus.