Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #31
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
If you actually want to ever go on a gravel road then the SuperT is your bike. It has way better ergos for your legs and back also. And best of all it has only a minimal fairing. Bikes with full coverage fairings are a PIA to deal with.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #32
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Last summer, I narrowed it down to the C14 and the S10 - then I bought an Explorer.

The Explorer gives up less as a road bike than the S10. More power and it even has cruise control, yet you sit in a nice upright position. I see it an SUV motorcycle.

DLFLHT screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:58 PM
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #33
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Now, that is funny right there! We do have some good choices in bikes right now!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
To me you have an easy choice. Get paid to ride the living day lights out of a Connie chasing down speeders, and buy the S10 for off duty "work"
Jake Mountain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #35
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
To me you have an easy choice. Get paid to ride the living day lights out of a Connie chasing down speeders, and buy the S10 for off duty "work"
I disagree. Buy the Tenere and then you can't catch me speeding.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #36
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I have both. 2 different animals but if I have to choose...tough choice...C14.
I rode 49K miles on the C14 and only 4k on the SuperT.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
I have both. 2 different animals but if I have to choose...tough choice...C14.
I rode 49K miles on the C14 and only 4k on the SuperT.
Interesting, as most of the sport tourer owners with a Tenere say that if they were forced to choose they would keep the Tenere. The Yamaha Super Tenere forum poll shows that about a third of the owners are from FJRs and similar sport tourers.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #38
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
Depends!

Where you are from and what type roads you have and what kind of riding you like to do and don't forget what bikes your buddies have.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Interesting, as most of the sport tourer owners with a Tenere say that if they were forced to choose they would keep the Tenere. The Yamaha Super Tenere forum poll shows that about a third of the owners are from FJRs and similar sport tourers.
it is common to a lot of people their last bike is the best ... no buyers remorse attitude. Again I have both and none is for sale.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #40
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 439
I'm in this very same predicament: Looking to buy either a leftover 2012 Concours or a 2013 S10.

I do have the luxury of having a 2000 Concours that I planned on keeping anyway (she's got 77k miles, I'm third owner, and it has a salvage title, so no point trying to sell it whole again) that works very nicely as my long-distance, high-speed tourer.

Sure, it needs about $1500 worth of work right now (front and rear suspension both need to be redone, with new bushings, fork seals, etc.) Also needs new mufflers (rust), centre stand (MORE rust) and brakes (and brake lines.)

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to nickel and dime me, but I love it. It was my first "real bike" (I had a Ninja 500 before this) and I've ridden it over 50k miles in the past 3 years, so I'm not ready to just give up on it yet! (I honestly just want to get it to the point where I get my 100k sticker from the Owners' Group...)

Concours 14 is faster than anything I'll ever imagine myself wanting to go. The maintenance on it also scares the living shit out of me. The S10 was a wildcard for me, but the more I look at it (and the more times I bother the local dealer about it) the more I want one.

Maybe I have some sort of weird fantasy of riding out to Moab and seeing all that beautiful desert. Or maybe it's the dream of riding up to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. (The Darien gap is on that list too, but I think I'd do that on a KLR...) In any event, I can't afford/refuse to pay $20k for a BMW. So the S10 seems like it will fit the bill nicely.

That being said, I also do my own maintenance, and I am curious: how has the S10 been to live with day-to-day? Easy work for the most part?
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I'm in this very same predicament: Looking to buy either a leftover 2012 Concours or a 2013 S10.

I do have the luxury of having a 2000 Concours that I planned on keeping anyway (she's got 77k miles, I'm third owner, and it has a salvage title, so no point trying to sell it whole again) that works very nicely as my long-distance, high-speed tourer.

Sure, it needs about $1500 worth of work right now (front and rear suspension both need to be redone, with new bushings, fork seals, etc.) Also needs new mufflers (rust), centre stand (MORE rust) and brakes (and brake lines.)

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to nickel and dime me, but I love it. It was my first "real bike" (I had a Ninja 500 before this) and I've ridden it over 50k miles in the past 3 years, so I'm not ready to just give up on it yet! (I honestly just want to get it to the point where I get my 100k sticker from the Owners' Group...)

Concours 14 is faster than anything I'll ever imagine myself wanting to go. The maintenance on it also scares the living shit out of me. The S10 was a wildcard for me, but the more I look at it (and the more times I bother the local dealer about it) the more I want one.

Maybe I have some sort of weird fantasy of riding out to Moab and seeing all that beautiful desert. Or maybe it's the dream of riding up to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. (The Darien gap is on that list too, but I think I'd do that on a KLR...) In any event, I can't afford/refuse to pay $20k for a BMW. So the S10 seems like it will fit the bill nicely.

That being said, I also do my own maintenance, and I am curious: how has the S10 been to live with day-to-day? Easy work for the most part?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843927

I don't believe a Concours will be seen in any of the above photos.

I sold my FJR that I had fully intended to keep after not riding it once since buying the Tenere.

The Tenere just gives versitility to every ride. Check the spokes and gas.... that's about it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #42
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843927

I don't believe a Concours will be seen in any of the above photos.

I sold my FJR that I had fully intended to keep after not riding it once since buying the Tenere.

The Tenere just gives versitility to every ride. Check the spokes and gas.... that's about it.
Check the spokes? Do they have a tendency to go out of true?

I used to build bicycle wheels back in college, and have a truing stand, spoke wrenches and a tuning fork to check the resonance.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #43
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
Spokes!

Yea, you might get a loose one every 6 months. Check them regularily.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #44
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
Check the spokes? Do they have a tendency to go out of true?

I used to build bicycle wheels back in college, and have a truing stand, spoke wrenches and a tuning fork to check the resonance.
Not so much out of true as much as the design with the nipple in the hub allows one to
vibrate out and vanish. Probably the most common theme with owners. Not so
much after the first few thousand miles. Just keep an eye on the rears especially.

Some put wicking green loc-tite on the nipple and zip tie where the spokes cross.

I'm the resident wheel wrecker. Bent them four times and had Woody's put a heavy duty
rear rim set up on. I don't see it as a chronic problem with Teneres. Rocks happen.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #45
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Not so much out of true as much as the design with the nipple in the hub allows one to
vibrate out and vanish. Probably the most common theme with owners. Not so
much after the first few thousand miles. Just keep an eye on the rears especially.

Some put wicking green loc-tite on the nipple and zip tie where the spokes cross.

I'm the resident wheel wrecker. Bent them four times and had Woody's put a heavy duty
rear rim set up on. I don't see it as a chronic problem with Teneres. Rocks happen.
Heh. I'm a pretty gentle rider off-road anyway, so I don't see myself wrecking too many rims, hopefully...though there was that DRZ a few years ago...