User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #15226
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 251
Funny how that seems to happen

I got my hands on a Triumph Adjustable Clutch Lever from Motorcycle Accessory Discount Super Store
for $30.00. Fit right on and looks like the bike came with it.

Took the broke end piece and drilled a hole in it. Now it hangs proudly(?) from my key ring. It's my
way of reminding me not to be such a dumbass.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #15227
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
the2wheels on ebay, I've had mine on for 12K miles and still going strong.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/the2wheels-A...345708&vxp=mtr

Jerry
I bought these for mine in Long they are great valur for money
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #15228
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I broke the end off of mine as well awhile back. I trimmed a little bit more off of the end and made it a shorty lever. Works much better. I only use one or two fingers to pull in the clutch anyway.
Might not help you guys across the pond but these are a good price and look to be OK quality :-
http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tige...le-14207-p.asp
http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tige...le-14208-p.asp
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #15229
rkclm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Tank full of gas. Fuel stabilizer in. Battery tender hooked up. Snow on the way. Tiger goes to sleep for the next couple months.
rkclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #15230
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
In an old life I used to design software for a living so I know all about details. That said, I really don't stress over things that a. I have no control over and b. don't really matter. I consider the ABS issue to be covered by both those.

Again, nothing's perfect and if you can't live with that, you'll go mad.

Cheers
You must have worked for Microsoft

I'm sorry .. just couldn't resist
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #15231
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat View Post
You must have worked for Microsoft

I'm sorry .. just couldn't resist
Nope, never worked for Microsoft.

You must be an Apple fanboi...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #15232
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Hey fellow Tiger riders, I just got a new one lately and put the first 6,500 miles on it. Love the bike. It's time for new tires. I want to run the Continental TKC80's on it. The rear tire says "tubeless" but the front one says "tube type" on it.

Has anyone ran these tires on your Tiger 800 cast wheels without a front tube? Any problems to note or comments to offer? Sorry if this was asked prior but I haven't taken the time to look through 1,000+ pages on this thread.

Many thanks,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #15233
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
You have to use a tube in a "tube type" tire. The bead is different.
It's ok to use a tube in a "tubeless type" tire.
I'm not familiar with the different types of TKC, but they should have one for mag wheels.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #15234
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hey fellow Tiger riders, I just got a new one lately and put the first 6,500 miles on it. Love the bike. It's time for new tires. I want to run the Continental TKC80's on it. The rear tire says "tubeless" but the front one says "tube type" on it.

Has anyone ran these tires on your Tiger 800 cast wheels without a front tube? Any problems to note or comments to offer? Sorry if this was asked prior but I haven't taken the time to look through 1,000+ pages on this thread.

Many thanks,
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You have to use a tube in a "tube type" tire. The bead is different.
It's ok to use a tube in a "tubeless type" tire.
I'm not familiar with the different types of TKC, but they should have one for mag wheels.
Robdirt didn't really, exactly, answer your question........No it's not OK to run a tube type tyre on your roadie rims.....unless you also fit a tube. Conti do make tubeless TKC80 so you need to get one of those. You might have to go with a 110/80x19 http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/m.../prod_809.html instead but don't worry, I read somewhere recently that that size has been passed as OK by Triumph and even approved by the TUV in Germany.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #15235
2Lucky
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Robdirt didn't really, exactly, answer your question........No it's not OK to run a tube type tyre on your roadie rims.....unless you also fit a tube. Conti do make tubeless TKC80 so you need to get one of those. You might have to go with a 110/80x19 http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/m.../prod_809.html instead but don't worry, I read somewhere recently that that size has been passed as OK by Triumph and even approved by the TUV in Germany.
That might be true or might not be true - I am from Germany - and before I began my trip on the Tiger 800 (onroad) I asked at Conti Germany - the tester there told me that they have not tested it - and it may be NOT ok to run the 110/80x19 TKC80 on the front wheel because it is supposed to be touching the fork as it has much profile on it!
He said he could not say for sure as nobody tested it so far (that was somewhere in the middle of the year August or September 2012.

So if anybody checked out if the TKC80 110/80x19 fits - pls let us know.

Cheers,
Uli
2Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #15236
2Lucky
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb New Triumph dealer - Lima Peru

There is a new Triumph dealer and workshop in Lima, Peru.
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848522

Cheers,
Uli
2Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #15237
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

Since you're talking about cast wheels, you obviously have the regular Tiger 800, not the XC. You want to be running the 110/80-19 front TKC, not the 100/90-19. The 110 is tubeless. And before you ask, yes, it will work fine despite the stock tire being a 100/90-19.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #15238
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lucky View Post
That might be true or might not be true - I am from Germany - and before I began my trip on the Tiger 800 (onroad) I asked at Conti Germany - the tester there told me that they have not tested it - and it may be NOT ok to run the 110/80x19 TKC80 on the front wheel because it is supposed to be touching the fork as it has much profile on it!
He said he could not say for sure as nobody tested it so far (that was somewhere in the middle of the year August or September 2012.

So if anybody checked out if the TKC80 110/80x19 fits - pls let us know.

Cheers,
Uli
Bloke on this thread http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg77890 reckon his dealer had approval from Triumph. Of course he doesn't say which dealer or any further info but, if you're a member on there, you could send him a message and ask.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #15239
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
TKC on roadie?

First of all, not sure why you're fitting knobbies on the road bike. But let's assume you're spending more than half your time on dirt roads and you feel you need the traction...

If you fit a tube type tire it is highly recommended to also install a tube. No biggie here, just remove the tubeless valve stem and add a tube when you mount it. A tubeless tire has a different bead to match the tubeless style rim, in order to create a good seal. Without that it may not seal correctly and you'll have a slow leakdown. Secondly, the interior wall of a tubeless tire has a different surface layer that is more air tight than a tube type tire. A lot of guys have run a tube type tubeless though, so you may get away with it. It would not be the most ideal setup, but then niether are TKC's on a roadbike in the first place.

Without digging into specific tire models and specs, the two different front tire sizes for 19" are inconsequential, so choose the one that's tubeless if you don't want to run a tube. Whatever the GSA is running that is what you want as well.

Consider a set of Heidenaeu K60's or Mefo equivalent, or Fullbore USA M40/41's, or even a Anakee II. The Dunlop Trailmax looks pretty good too. You'll be a lot happier with performance all around, and you'll have tubeless tires to match your wheels.

Add a compressor pump to your kit so you can air down to 22-25lbs for dirt running. Even the stock Scorpion Trails work REALLY well on dirt if they are aired down. If you get into sand sections or mud, the 19" diameter front will start digging in and that will limit you anyway.

I'm betting you'll hate the road handling, roughness, and noise of a TKC. And they'll probably wear twice as fast as a good radial road tire with aggressive tread. JMHO.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #15240
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Heated Grips?

Are the OEM heated grips any good? I got my bike with the heated grips installed and now I regret wasting money on it. It is useless for all practical reasons, at 50-60F I feel some warmth but not enough to be comfortable. In the 40's they are practically useless. Can't believe Triumph charges so much for a piece of S**t. Did I get a lemon, or is the the heated grip really that bad?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to uninstall it?
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote