Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #46
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,509
All I can say is THANK YOU fella's for not making me look like u all's bitch. It would have been easy to do with my performance. As to suggestions on the GasGas. First and foremost, the suspension is strung for someone much heavy than me I believe. I was bouncing off every rock and there was very little sag in the back, so the grip sucked and it was too tall for me due to it having so little settle when I sat on it. I do think it could use to be geared down some and that would help...thirdly...as Drew would say..."the rider has too much LOFT"...lack of fucking talent.

Still like the challenge and I have had better days on the Rug and will have more.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #47
Gila Monster
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Glad I wasn't there.

You won't believe this but sometime around 1995 I drove my stock 86 Nissan 4x4 4 cyl pickup all the way from Klondyke to the Rug Rd. I had no idea where we were but when we got half way up the hill I though maybe we better stop and hike up to see the rest. The rugs were covering a section that was loose decomposed granite not the bedrock that it looks like is there now. We were low on gas and hoping to get out that way to Mammoth but I decided not to risk the hill because there was already a truck there that had slid off the hill and rolled to the bottom. We turned around and drove ALL the way back and came out by Turkey Cr. and on to Klondyke. I can say that was the worst drive of that trucks life for sure.

The road looks much more washed out than it was then but there were tons of loose rocks just like that. I had to just gun it and fling rocks. I definitely want to see where that alternate route goes before I go back.
2008 KTM 300 XCW
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #48
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
All I can say is THANK YOU fella's for not making me look like u all's bitch. It would have been easy to do with my performance. As to suggestions on the GasGas. First and foremost, the suspension is strung for someone much heavy than me I believe. I was bouncing off every rock and there was very little sag in the back, so the grip sucked and it was too tall for me due to it having so little settle when I sat on it. I do think it could use to be geared down some and that would help...thirdly...as Drew would say..."the rider has too much LOFT"...lack of fucking talent.

Still like the challenge and I have had better days on the Rug and will have more.
That bike was set up for someone tall. When I tested it I felt like it was right for me. You had to have been having trouble dabbing a foot. With this ride that was pretty much all the time. That said, the power was a hoot! Probably ,too much for this kind of climbing though. Also, did you ever check your tire pressure? MT43s at 13-14 psi don't work very well.

Still had a fun day! Thx for putting the ride together HTM.
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #49
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
You did not struggle like that the last time we rode the rug together so I would have to say it was the bike. That bike is great on a track or doing high speed desert. I don't know anyone doing more technical stuff. You will have to do some work on it if you want to do stuff like the rug. There is the fun factor to consider, it is more fun to read the ride report and laugh then ride the bike :)

Quote:

ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #50
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
You did not struggle like that the last time we rode the rug together so I would have to say it was the bike. That bike is great on a track or doing high speed desert. I don't know anyone doing more technical stuff. You will have to do some work on it if you want to do stuff like the rug. There is the fun factor to consider, it is more fun to read the ride report and laugh then ride the bike :)
Well said YB!
I enjoyed reading the report
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Just got the new Beta suspension back. Think this one might be a keeper. I am guessing it is about 1.5" shorter than the KTM version. Going to test it out with Cathy this weekend on her new to her Jack Piner 200 EXC.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #52
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Just got the new Beta suspension back. Think this one might be a keeper. I am guessing it is about 1.5" shorter than the KTM version. Going to test it out with Cathy this weekend on her new to her Jack Piner 200 EXC.
I just hope it has a magic button. I get tired watching you kick start your bikes.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #53
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Just for you Brad, the magic button.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
That looks fun
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Nice ride, thanks for the vid! Imma do some riding in AZ next year.

Matt
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnitc View Post
Nice ride, thanks for the vid! Imma do some riding in AZ next year.

Matt
Oh, but you can ride "Southern". As my buddy who lives in Rio Rancho says, "it has a little bit of everything". As we say..."it has a whole lot of sand and not much else".
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #57
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, but you can ride "Southern". As my buddy who lives in Rio Rancho says, "it has a little bit of everything". As we say..."it has a whole lot of sand and not much else".
It has a little bit of everything.... in sand!

LOL, my KX LOVES the sand. Seriously, there is plenty of diversity in this area if sand isn't your thing. Did some Jemez this year and lately been doing Cedro Peak.

Always looking for new places to ride!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #58
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Is Cedro Peak the single track in the mountains? Are you the guy that did the video posted somewhere recently up there...that is what I like in riding.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is Cedro Peak the single track in the mountains? Are you the guy that did the video posted somewhere recently up there...that is what I like in riding.
yes and yes.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
Looks like I took out another clutch cover on the Rug. Lucky for me, I keep a spare in stock!

Oil was just barely seeping out.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote