Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #5716
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I wanna row my own thankyouverymuch.
Damn right!
But GP640 does have a point. There are now a lot of people that can’t drive a stick shift car. That don't seem right either.
Even some that I *think* can drive a stick shift are completely baffled when faced with a “Three on the tree”. Seen ‘em!
Here is something I saw that’s even worse.
Pulled in to a local MC dealer & noticed a guy on a bike in a parking lot across the street & one lot down. May have had a friend in a car with him. I was wondering what the guy was doing when a MC shop employee walks up to me & says the guy had just bought a new sport bike. When it came time for him to ride his new bike away from the shop he just kicked it into gear. Didn’t know that he had to use the clutch. Sad. Very sad.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #5717
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Camper "van".

The "DecoLiner"

Got 11:30 to spare?

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #5718
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Your parents and their parents grew up with sticks in pretty much everything. It wasn't till the 50s/60s that automagics took over.

Watch Top Gear (UK) lots of the cars (till just this last season or two) are/were manuals. Most of the low-end stuff on Fifth Gear is still a manual trans.

If the Brits can do it...

I wanna row my own thankyouverymuch.

M
Hey, I'm not saying I don't want a manual. My parents never owned a manual and the last one my dad
drove was a Willys Jeep when he was in the artillery. My grandfather owned automatics as soon as he could
and most of the Ramblers he sold at his dealership had autos.

Now back to vans....
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #5719
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
As I understand it the Transit vans in Europe have been offered with stick shifts for years, and still are.
I really hate automatic transmissions but you can’t even buy a lot of new cars or trucks in the USA with a standard transmission anymore. That just ain’t right.
Manual transmissions seem to last forever even with zero maintenance.

I agree- back in Europe I killed only 1 clutch in a VW van, but that was due to overwork. An automatic transmission would've died much sooner.

I can see why some folks like the automatics, nothing wrong with that, but would be nice if they'd see nothing wrong with my wish to drive a stick.

After getting my first van in Canada I didn't know what to do with my left foot and right hand, I can't even rest my hand on the shifter

Too bad, I really hoped they'd provide the diesel with a manual... Now I'm not sure whether to wait one more year before selling my E350, or shall I wait in the hopes that Iveco is brought over. Although those vans are too overenginereed to compete on price with the Sprinte/Transit, they'll probably bring Ducatos.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #5720
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the ecoboost engine does in it!
I rent quite a few vehicles for work, so I test as many models as the rental companies have. I tried the Escape with the 2.0 Eco, and while the drive was OK for an SUV, the mileage was not. With sane driving, empty car but me, I got about 26mpg. With more spirited driving, same load, same route, different ambient temps but not by much, the mileage went down to 22mpg. Now load the thing with few people and luggage, and one should expect not much higher than 22mpg- highway.

I can't see how I'd be happy with an Ecoboost engine in a van, but then perhaps my expectations are much higher than others' because I got spoiled by the better mileage one gets with vehicles in Europe.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #5721
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
I

Too bad, I really hoped they'd provide the diesel with a manual...
I think the problem is that they would end up eating warranty work since lots of people don't know how to use a clutch, especially a torquey diesel. I've seen clutches burned out in less than a week buy those who were clueless. Build a strong enough auto and you get past the warranty date and keep your profits.
My diesel van is much preferred as an auto by most as the trans is "bulletproof" and the manual option was geared differently, resulting in worse fuel mileage.
ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #5722
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Ford Transit Diesel

Quote:
The diesel engine for the 2014 Ford Transit van will be a five-cylinder PowerStroke model, the company announced today, extending the fuel efficiency benefits of clean-diesel powertrains into its upcoming commercial van.

The new 3.2-liter PowerStroke Diesel will be the only five-cylinder turbodiesel sold in the U.S.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #5723
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the ecoboost engine does in it!
Catch fire?
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #5724
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Driven one have you?
I've got an f150 with the ecoboost and it does quite well. That engine in a full size van
might be pretty good.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #5725
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
Driven one have you?
I've got an f150 with the ecoboost and it does quite well. That engine in a full size van
might be pretty good.
Curious, I know the ecoboost are good engines and get good mpg. My friend gets low 20's with his F150 but doesn't haul with it at all. I wonder if the small turbo 6 gets worse gas mileage than a bigger v8 when hauling.
I just don't know, here are some made up numbers to explain my question
Ford 5.4 E250 unloaded 17.4 loaded with three bikes, gear and three guys get 16.2
Same van with an ecoboost might 19 unloaded but 15.1 loaded because the engine has to work harder to carry the load.
Totally made up numbers but anyone see numbers compared loaded or towing?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #5726
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

I'd see where the numbers like that wouldn't be that bad depending on the usage.
Our truck gets used as a family vehicle and doesn't see much of a load most of the time.

For a fleet vehicle travelling loaded most of the time, the diesel would probably be better.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #5727
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Curious, I know the ecoboost are good engines and get good mpg. My friend gets low 20's with his F150 but doesn't haul with it at all. I wonder if the small turbo 6 gets worse gas mileage than a bigger v8 when hauling.
I just don't know, here are some made up numbers to explain my question
Ford 5.4 E250 unloaded 17.4 loaded with three bikes, gear and three guys get 16.2
Same van with an ecoboost might 19 unloaded but 15.1 loaded because the engine has to work harder to carry the load.
Totally made up numbers but anyone see numbers compared loaded or towing?
I've towed my Melges 24 (about 3000 lbs) with a Subaru Outback 3.0R and a Chevy Express 2500.

At 70mph, they both get 13.5 mpg. Unloaded the OBW gets around 23 and the van about 15 or 16.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #5728
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
I did a trip with a friend in his eco boost F150 with 4 people and luggage. We got a bit over 19 running around 77 mph. When he tows his Jeep on a trailer he gets around 11, but it pulls really well and that transmission is awesome.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #5729
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post
spider-man and bat man are from different universe.
So long as they don't cross swords, they won't be annihilated. That's what the girl is for.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #5730
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,959
Tupperware is no match for Uncle Rico's rig...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: