Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #1396
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
... To you more experienced guys, how do you determine what is fair game and what is illegal/disrespectful as far as aleaving the pavement goes?
That probably has more to do with your location than anything else. Where I am, touching the front wheel to dirt that is outside of my yard or not a public road is almost guaranteed to be illegal. Legality and enforceability are quite different though, and often local law enforcement is lenient as long as you're not being a loud, obnoxious, offensive brute. Not that I want to step on a soapbox, but this is how loud exhaust does not help. If you're already breaking the law, a loud exhaust just provides the incentive to call you on it. Not all of us have vast expanses of legal off-road riding areas where noise might be less of a concern.

Otherwise, if it looks like someone has gone out of their way to post no-trespassing, that's a sure sign to stay out. If something looks well-traveled, it may be acceptable, or it may be the landowner's own equipment. Get friendly with local landowners to find out. Sometimes utility companies allow riding, such as power lines and gas lines. It can actually help them, as it keeps a passable trail on the line. Otherwise the vegetation may grow in which would then require them to cut it back to keep access available for them. Again, quiet and polite go a long way. If you dig a trench holding it WFO with the front brake on, you may not be allowed back there again. Give a friendly wave to anyone you see. Anything you do to show you're an upstanding, contributing member to society helps. Even the visual difference between a well-maintained bike and one falling apart can present a different image of who you are. We're only allowed to ride while the public non-riding majority allows us to.

In the last 20 years, places that are acceptable to ride have shrunk by vast amounts (at least near where I am). People appear to be much more "protective" of their land than they used to be. Likely in part at least due to legal responsibility issues. All that said, a CRF250L or similar small dual-sport is probably a very good choice as not only is it non-intimidating to ride, but it's non-intimidating to potential on-lookers, who may have the power to make your life miserable.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #1397
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Here are a few pics of the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit installed.....really cleans up the rear end of the bike.

How was the install? Any wires to cut or is it plug and play?

How much brighter than stock? Blindingly bright?

Avi8tor screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:55 AM
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #1398
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
I agree, with the exhaust note. The "people" around here with American bikes, the first thing is to take the mufflers off, because they are really smart. A really good way to piss people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
That probably has more to do with your location than anything else. Where I am, touching the front wheel to dirt that is outside of my yard or not a public road is almost guaranteed to be illegal. Legality and enforceability are quite different though, and often local law enforcement is lenient as long as you're not being a loud, obnoxious, offensive brute. Not that I want to step on a soapbox, but this is how loud exhaust does not help. If you're already breaking the law, a loud exhaust just provides the incentive to call you on it. Not all of us have vast expanses of legal off-road riding areas where noise might be less of a concern.

Otherwise, if it looks like someone has gone out of their way to post no-trespassing, that's a sure sign to stay out. If something looks well-traveled, it may be acceptable, or it may be the landowner's own equipment. Get friendly with local landowners to find out. Sometimes utility companies allow riding, such as power lines and gas lines. It can actually help them, as it keeps a passable trail on the line. Otherwise the vegetation may grow in which would then require them to cut it back to keep access available for them. Again, quiet and polite go a long way. If you dig a trench holding it WFO with the front brake on, you may not be allowed back there again. Give a friendly wave to anyone you see. Anything you do to show you're an upstanding, contributing member to society helps. Even the visual difference between a well-maintained bike and one falling apart can present a different image of who you are. We're only allowed to ride while the public non-riding majority allows us to.

In the last 20 years, places that are acceptable to ride have shrunk by vast amounts (at least near where I am). People appear to be much more "protective" of their land than they used to be. Likely in part at least due to legal responsibility issues. All that said, a CRF250L or similar small dual-sport is probably a very good choice as not only is it non-intimidating to ride, but it's non-intimidating to potential on-lookers, who may have the power to make your life miserable.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #1399
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Here are a few pics of the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit installed.....really cleans up the rear end of the bike.
Any pic with the brakes on? LED taillight is really something I miss from the SV.
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1400
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
How was the install? Any wires to cut or is it plug and play?

How much brighter than stock? Blindingly bright?
Go back up about 10 posts or so and I posted about the installation. I don't know if it's any brighter than stock but it's plenty bright in my opinion especially with the brakes applied.

Quote:
Any pic with the brakes on?
With the lights on....

With the brakes applied....

Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #1401
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Stalling for no reason

Anyone having any issues with their 250L's stalling for no apparent reason? I got about 800km on mine now, most of my drives this far have been mainly 30-40km's at a time,pretty much all pavement/dirt roads accessible by cars, and it will usually stall or quit at least once each outing. Mostly when stopped or slowing down to stop and once today while I was cruising along at about 50km/h, it just quit almost as if ya hit the kill switch. The bike will fire right back up no problem, just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue. I am about 99% positive it ain't my driving skills, as the wife's 250L doesn't have this issue (according to her, and I haven't noticed it the little i drove it either) May have to bring it up with the mechanic's at the dealer when it goes in for its 1st service, which I'm quite sure they will likely blame me also...lol
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #1402
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Anyone having any issues with their 250L's stalling for no apparent reason? I got about 800km on mine now, most of my drives this far have been mainly 30-40km's at a time,pretty much all pavement/dirt roads accessible by cars, and it will usually stall or quit at least once each outing. Mostly when stopped or slowing down to stop and once today while I was cruising along at about 50km/h, it just quit almost as if ya hit the kill switch. The bike will fire right back up no problem, just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue. I am about 99% positive it ain't my driving skills, as the wife's 250L doesn't have this issue (according to her, and I haven't noticed it the little i drove it either) May have to bring it up with the mechanic's at the dealer when it goes in for its 1st service, which I'm quite sure they will likely blame me also...lol
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...nshifting.html
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #1403
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Too far north.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #1404
Willard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
[QUOTE=NesquikNinja;20225367]I took a huge cut in power as well, and I am NOT regretting it.

Same thing here - sold my 07 FZ6 to buy the CRF. The FZ6 is a great bike but I have no regrets, the CRF is so much fun, nothin' but smiles.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1405
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quick question RE: the fender kit,

Has anyone run into issues getting the bike inspected after installing? This is the first mod I'd like to do but don't want any additional hassles when it comes to keeping it on the road.

Thanks!

Cory
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #1406
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Has anyone use the actual kit for installing the DRC egde 2 tail light. The one on here http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...product_id=104
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1407
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,531
How come nobody told me how much fun snow riding is?

We got about 2 inches of snow here Sunday. The roads have melted off but there's still snow in my woods. On my way home from work I had a freaking blast sliding this lil Honda through my woods and the neighbor's CRP land. What a riot I am still grinning.

I was rooster tailing snow flying up the hills. I am acting like a dumbass kid on this thing
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #1408
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
How come nobody told me how much fun snow riding is?

We got about 2 inches of snow here Sunday. The roads have melted off but there's still snow in my woods. On my way home from work I had a freaking blast sliding this lil Honda through my woods and the neighbor's CRP land. What a riot I am still grinning.

I was rooster tailing snow flying up the hills. I am acting like a dumbass kid on this thing

I didn't know it was a secret... I was riding a MX60 in the snow back in the '70s. I was about 7 years old, nobody said it was a secret. It sure is fun. It's even more fun when it's about a foot deep.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #1409
towman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Quick question RE: the fender kit,

Has anyone run into issues getting the bike inspected after installing? This is the first mod I'd like to do but don't want any additional hassles when it comes to keeping it on the road.
I had a DRC on my DRZ and another no-name non-DOT tail light on my XRL, got stopped by the LEO but they never even looked at those (in CA). Long as your licence plate is lit, you should be good.
towman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #1410
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
dobeck fuel controller

Well sat down with my manager today and asked about the fmf power fi we called, they said they were out of stock. Called the original development people(dobeck performance) got hooked up as a dealer for them and should have mine show up in 2 days here at the shop