ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3946
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Led dot

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #3947
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Yeap! good catch. The BMW rep at the Long Beach show this weekend also confirmed that the LEDs have been DOT approved.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #3948
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Curious about that feature, is it still there?

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #3949
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Montauk: Great pictures!!!
Thank you.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #3950
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Yeap! good catch. The BMW rep at the Long Beach show this weekend also confirmed that the LEDs have been DOT approved.
They wouldn't be able to sell the bike otherwise. I've got five bikes in my garage of various vintages and every one has a DOT embossed on its headlight(s).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #3951
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
They wouldn't be able to sell the bike otherwise. I've got five bikes in my garage of various vintages and every one has a DOT embossed on its headlight(s).

- Mark
Of course they would....without the optional LED headlights. Just the same as they sell bikes in the US without the LED turn signals that come on the same models in the rest of the world because they are not DOT approved.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:35 PM Reason: added turn signal reference
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #3952
Bundu
===============
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear forum and bmw people ( if any bmw people actually read these threads )

bmw has hit the ball out of the park with the new r1200gs lc . the 2013 r1200gs lc is the best two wheeled vehicle ever designed by any motorcycle company and instantly obsoletes every other motorcycle presently manufactured including the entire bmw lineup . this bike is built to take abuse in all terrains and weather conditions and last for three hundred thousand miles . the bmw r1200gs lc has exactly everything you want and nothing you don't . it is the modern day equivalent of a luxury suv and will never go out of style . the beauty of this bike is in its total appearance of long lasting dependability and power to spare . there is no better all around motorcycle than the 2013 bmw r1200gs lc . if you want to race -- get a yamaha r1 . if you want to be sporty -- get a bmw r1300s . if you want to be stylish -- get a moto guzzi california . if you are in the market for a two wheeled machine whose appearance is dictated strictly by performance and reliability -- the bmw r1200gs lc is the only real motorcycle available .

doggrell3000
new york ny
all I can say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNXP2ndT9M
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #3953
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Of course they would....without the optional LED headlights. Just the same as they sell bikes in the US without the LED turn signals that come on the same models in the rest of the world because they are not DOT approved.
I don't think it's a deal breaker if it doesn't have LED headlight or turn signals, just disappointing. We all know how fast paced and modern the US gov't is.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #3954
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
We all know how fast paced and modern the US gov't is.
Yeah, especially DOT can make the Vatican seem modern, rushed, and precipitous ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #3955
Aldebaran
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear forum and bmw people ( if any bmw people actually read these threads )

bmw has hit the ball out of the park with the new r1200gs lc . the 2013 r1200gs lc is the best two wheeled vehicle ever designed by any motorcycle company and instantly obsoletes every other motorcycle presently manufactured including the entire bmw lineup . this bike is built to take abuse in all terrains and weather conditions and last for three hundred thousand miles . the bmw r1200gs lc has exactly everything you want and nothing you don't . it is the modern day equivalent of a luxury suv and will never go out of style . the beauty of this bike is in its total appearance of long lasting dependability and power to spare . there is no better all around motorcycle than the 2013 bmw r1200gs lc . if you want to race -- get a yamaha r1 . if you want to be sporty -- get a bmw r1300s . if you want to be stylish -- get a moto guzzi california . if you are in the market for a two wheeled machine whose appearance is dictated strictly by performance and reliability -- the bmw r1200gs lc is the only real motorcycle available .

doggrell3000
new york ny



Good one ! I really like your sens of humour ! at first I thought you were serious ! Thanks , you made my day !!!
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #3956
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 53,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Curious about that feature, is it still there?


They were only that way on the 2010-2012 bikes anyhow. Most still added ROX Risers to get more up and back. IMHO Not a big deal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #3957
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 826
Or you could have the panels covered in vinyl in a different color or pattern which you could always take off when you eventually sell the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I was using the cost of the parts off of a current model year as the basis for my statement. I would be amazed if they were dramatically different in price, I suppose we'll know the real answer soon. If one wants to change the color of their bike without sacrificing their panels and the resale value of their bike, swapping panels or buying oem painted ones is a cost effective way of doing so. Well, at least I think it is.

Thanks EJ.
__________________
Doc Reid
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #3958
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
They were only that way on the 2010-2012 bikes anyhow. Most still added ROX Risers to get more up and back. IMHO Not a big deal.

Jim
They were on at least 08-09 as well. My 09 has them.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #3959
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Or you could have the panels covered in vinyl in a different color or pattern which you could always take off when you eventually sell the bike
Very true and great suggestion. There is a shop locally that does this sort of thing on the most exotic of cars. They even 3M filmed my matte painted Multi and you could never tell it was covered. A big business in the making for sure.
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #3960
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
They were on at least 08-09 as well. My 09 has them.
Jim got a point, I'm still using Rox Risers...
Maybe this setup was a bit expensive so BMW went back to the standard also using 2 through bolts (more stable?)
than on the "rotate-clamps" before with only one bolt on each side screwing everything down if you know what I mean.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015