Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #106
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Dude.

This bike is primarily a Euro bike, where off-roading is limited, and running costs are high (and rising), and the new A2 licence means anyone under 24 has a maximum of 47bhp to play with.

Some of the aims of the new 500 (low ownership costs, plenty of OEM add-ons, low insurance) will appeal to riders outside the target market. Maybe in emerging markets like India and Brazil these 500s will be 'premium' purchases. Maybe in the USA these bikes will be a KLR-cheap-ass alternative.

But the CB500X is in no way, shape or form an off-roader.

Tbh, the lack of a global perspective on bike ownership is getting a bit fucking irritating.

The motto of this site is Ride the World. And the world, rides.
Just curious what is required for a bike to be considered "an off-roader?"

Seems these guys did pretty well on bikes far heavier and with far less suspension travel than the new 500x. Does that make them posers?http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #107
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,758
Saw a thread sometime back where three Nighthawk's trekked across Outer Mongolia; I would call that an adventure.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #108
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post

Seems these guys did pretty well on bikes far heavier and with far less suspension travel than the new 500x. Does that make them posers?http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723
No, not posers, it makes them Adventure riders. Just like all of us in the 1960's and 1970's, when none of the bikes had specialized capabilities.

However, today, technology and the marketplace have changed our definitions. The Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) sells less well - although the arguement can be made that recent years have seen a small come-back in "standard" motorcycles - in favor of more specialized bikes.

For me, any bike that is really designed for going off pavement, let alone off-road, needs 7" of ground clearance, 7.5" of suspension travel front and rear, and a neutral riding position, if for nothing more than my peace of mind.
  • The new "big" ADV bikes all qualify: R1200GS, S10, 9xx ADV, F800GS, Tiger 800XC, and Honda Africa Twin.
  • So to, do the KLR/KLX-650, DR-650/750/800, TE610/630, 625/640 ADV, 690E/R, F650GS Dakar/ Sertao, and the new TR650's.
  • The KTM-SMT and the Husky Nuda 900 also both qualify by my definition above, but seem to be used more "off-pavement" rather than "off-road". I need to learn more about their capabilities
  • The older KLE-500 twin, the Transalp v-twin & Honda NX-650 Dominator single may not quite meet my criteria above - but all seem to be capable off-pavement.
For me, the Versys & CB500X are street bikes with "Adventure Styling" - to quote Honda from the CB500X marketing materials. They don't have enough GC or suspension travel for my comfort in an off-road environment, although they handle gravel and hard-packed dirt roads just fine.

Again, you can take almost any motorcycle "off road". Some just do it better than others. For common ground in our ongoing discussions, however, many try to make some of the distinctions that we're talking about here.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:56 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #109
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:

It all depends on two things :-
1, what bike you own.
2, how easy you want to make it.

So, dealing with "1". If you really want to go somewhere, you'll do it on whatever you've got, like those guys.
And "2", if you want it as easy as it gets you buy something like a CRF250F or WRF250F.
For an off roader, the bigger the front wheel the better because it'll then roll over the lumps and bumps better. So any bike with a front less than 19" diameter cannot be considered as dirt capable.
If you can only afford one bike and want it to do it all you have to compromise in one or more departments. IMO the best all round, do it all bike, with the least compromises, on the planet at the moment is the Triumph Tiger800XC. Good engine, good suspension, good ergonomics, good range, etc. etc.. The compromise is that it's on the heavy side compared to the CRF, WRF types if you want to do the mountain goat, single track trail rides.

blacktiger screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:11 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #110
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:

I don't think anyone used the term 'posers'.

I would applaud anyone taking the 500X off-road, because it's not built or intended for it, by Honda's own admission.

But that's different from carping about it's lack of off-road utility. It's like complaining that your banana is curved, when what you really want is a straight one.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #111
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
For me, off road isn't likely going to be anything more than dirt roads. I no longer feel the need to challenge myself when I ride. So a CB500X, like most street bikes, would work just fine in that role.
They are light, cheap, comfy, and I suspect will handle well enough on pavement.

They had them at the bike show this weekend. I liked it a lot

Unfortunatley, so did my teenage son, which would mean hiding the key.

It's on my short list for the spring for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #112
dougwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Just when I decided to purchase the NC700X in the spring, Honda announced this bike. Now I have no idea which one to get. I'm now riding a Suzuki GS500F which by the way seems to have to same specs as the CB500 in terms of HP and torque. I have no complaint with the power of my bike for the most part, just wish there's a little bit more torque when riding 2up for a smoother take off. I'm just looking for a new bike, especially adventure/ adventure style bike due to the fact that they have a wide selection of hard cases and actually look cool with them on(I don't want ride something like a Goldwing just yet); and the more relax riding position for commuting and touring.
Now with this new bike cost about $1000 less than the 700X, I could use that $1000 for side cases and some other accessories. Not to mention I can actually get ABS without opting for DCT.

By the way, I don't fantasize about riding off road. I don't have the extra cash for spare parts or a good health insurance if anything happens. So "off-road" capability doesnt really concern me.

What do you guys think? $1000 for that extra 13 NM of torque? or should I spend it on the accessories?
dougwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #113
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ If you think (and you are right) that more torque will help pull you and a pillion from a stop, then you answered your own question.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #114
Snizz
two wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 23
Mcjamie, how tall is your son? I am considering this bike, but worried about the size/riding position. As he sits, it looks great, just the right amount of forward lean, but im 6 ft 200lbs and worried i might dwarf it..

I think the cbr250 engine is a great piece of engineering, and understand that this engine shares technology from it, true? If so, shim replacements without removing the cams would be helpful, as would its stellar fuel economy. that seat looks fantastic and the factory luggage would be aboout perfect for my desired use..I cant wait to wang on this bike..
Snizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #115
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizz View Post
Mcjamie, how tall is your son? I am considering this bike, but worried about the size/riding position. As he sits, it looks great, just the right amount of forward lean, but im 6 ft 200lbs and worried i might dwarf it..

I think the cbr250 engine is a great piece of engineering, and understand that this engine shares technology from it, true? If so, shim replacements without removing the cams would be helpful, as would its stellar fuel economy. that seat looks fantastic and the factory luggage would be aboout perfect for my desired use..I cant wait to wang on this bike..
According to http://cycle-ergo.com/ the 500x and 700x are real close in ergos. I haven't compared the overall dimensions. I'm 6' and around 230. I didn't fell like I was dwarfing the 700 although a skosh more legroom would be nice.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #116
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
ok here's a look at this bike from my eyes. I'm in central Mississippi and I own 3 bikes right now, a 98 KTM200SXC, a 82 XL500R (moded with a 98 XR400R front end and other parts) and a 01 FZ-1. these 3 bikes fit 3 diffrent rides,

KTM off road
XL dual sport, dirt roads, some pavement and maybe some off road.
FZ-1 longer pavement runs and maybe some gravle if I just trully want to see something down it bad enough.

I'm looking to this new honda to fit between the XL and the FZ, something that I can do paved and gravle days with more comfort then the XL but feel a little safer on gravle then the FZ.

when I leave my house I take the bike that fits the ride i know I'm going on. also the price is a factor as well, I have 1200 bucks in my Old XL and I have 1500 in my FZ. I have 3 girls, one about to get marryed the second about to go into collage and my wife became unable to work 3 years ago.

this bike has a market. no it isnt die hard riders that want a adventure bike that can go off road it's people that will use it for what it is ment for, a afordable motorcycle that they can enjoy.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #117
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
when I leave my house I take the bike that fits the ride i know I'm going on. also the price is a factor as well, I have 1200 bucks in my Old XL and I have 1500 in my FZ. I have 3 girls, one about to get marryed the second about to go into collage and my wife became unable to work 3 years ago.

this bike has a market. no it isnt die hard riders that want a adventure bike that can go off road it's people that will use it for what it is ment for, a afordable motorcycle that they can enjoy.
Budget Rider. I hear ya. Same here
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #118
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Quote:

At the moment he's just a hair under 5'10". If I stop feeding him, he shouldn't get much bigger. I am pretty much the same size, and fit quite comfortable on it, but I wouldn't mind if the seat was an inch or so higher. I know adding that extra inch to my DL made a huge difference.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #119
Snizz
two wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
At the moment he's just a hair under 5'10". If I stop feeding him, he shouldn't get much bigger. I am pretty much the same size, and fit quite comfortable on it, but I wouldn't mind if the seat was an inch or so higher. I know adding that extra inch to my DL made a huge difference.

Thanks for the response, I had an 05 DL and made the same observation! I have been looking around for a northwest commuter and lightweight tourer, I've had a blast commuting a klx250s this last year, but some wind protection and a touch more comfort would be welcome. Sat on a nc700 a few weeks ago..wow what a low cog that bike has..however, I would rather cath myself with a bore brush than sit on that seat for an hour.. if it had a few extra rpm available it might interest me more..
Snizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #120
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I had an 05 DL and made the same observation! I have been looking around for a northwest commuter and lightweight tourer, I've had a blast commuting a klx250s this last year, but some wind protection and a touch more comfort would be welcome. Sat on a nc700 a few weeks ago..wow what a low cog that bike has..however, I would rather cath myself with a bore brush than sit on that seat for an hour.. if it had a few extra rpm available it might interest me more..
That's kind of funny, because since I got rid of the DL (huge mistake), I've been riding my 250 Sherpa. It does 80% of what I want, but short on power. The 500 would fit nicely between what the Sherpa is, and what the DL was.