Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #1411
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
WOW....thanks for that, I think..lol. 95 pages deep and no apparent solution to the problem from what I`ve skimmed threw. Looks like I`ll be busy reading threw it all. Exact same issue as described, with not much help from dealers or Honda for that matter. Good read for anyone that's interested (or bored) saves us (me) from going threw all the possibilities on here. I follow this thread quite frequently and am curious to see if anyone else on here is having this issue with the CRF250L or is mine the lone dud!! Love the bike and this Thread is great, just want to TRY and figure out this issue
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1412
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
WOW....thanks for that, I think..lol. 95 pages deep and no apparent solution to the problem from what I`ve skimmed threw. Looks like I`ll be busy reading threw it all. Exact same issue as described, with not much help from dealers or Honda for that matter. Good read for anyone that's interested (or bored) saves us (me) from going threw all the possibilities on here. I follow this thread quite frequently and am curious to see if anyone else on here is having this issue with the CRF250L or is mine the lone dud!! Love the bike and this Thread is great, just want to TRY and figure out this issue
I read bits of it...one guy appears to have gotten a reduction in stalls by going to lower viscosity oil...and then theorized it was leanness effects and friction effects at idle......I wonder if ANYONE with a Dobek calibration modifier has richened up the idle and gotten rid of the stall issue...either with a 250R or 250L.....as I noticed JD Jetting sells their version of the Dobek product for 209$$.......if anyone knows it'd be Rick Ramsey!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1413
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by towman View Post
I had a DRC on my DRZ and another no-name non-DOT tail light on my XRL, got stopped by the LEO but they never even looked at those (in CA). Long as your licence plate is lit, you should be good.
Thanks, I didn't figure there would be an issue but I just don't have the time or gumption to deal with the hassle, just want to ride...

Cory
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #1414
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
Toys for spring

So the bike has been put away for about 3 weeks now. I'm going to have some wrenching to do in the spring

Seat Concepts Seat, Ricochet skid plate, Manrack with Rotopax mount, hour meter, 13T sprocket...

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #1415
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
Thanks, I didn't figure there would be an issue but I just don't have the time or gumption to deal with the hassle, just want to ride...
I've been lucky, I've got both a CBR and a CRFL. Neither one rattles or stalls. But, at times, they do give me a severe case of sore cheeks from smiling so much.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #1416
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I read bits of it...one guy appears to have gotten a reduction in stalls by going to lower viscosity oil...and then theorized it was leanness effects and friction effects at idle......I wonder if ANYONE with a Dobek calibration modifier has richened up the idle and gotten rid of the stall issue...either with a 250R or 250L.....as I noticed JD Jetting sells their version of the Dobek product for 209$$.......if anyone knows it'd be Rick Ramsey!!
I was thinking the same thing about the Dobek and was planning on getting one in the future. Just worried about IF it doesn`t solve the issue, how will this affect my 1 year warranty. Bottom line, and a good point taken from that Thread is that it should be Honda`s problem to fix without us having to buy after-market solutions. My plan is to notify the dealer about the situation and go from there.....However, due to past experiences with this same dealer (we owned a 2006 civic, which was a POS to put it mildly!) we had a hard time getting any satisfaction out of them. We`ll see how the Honda Powerhouse department is. (All Hondas under one roof just different departments here in Canada) not sure if they do this in the US or elsewhere.

See the fella that started that tread with the initial problem, Honda actually offered him a brand-new bike or his money back, he took the money!!
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1417
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
pedal protection

In my wheely crash yesterday I noticed that I almost punctured the oil filter cap again...anyone thought or seen of some type of frame sliders?? Kinda off topic but really dont wanna get stranded one day
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psbbc1213f.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8ffdd342.jpg
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #1418
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
In my wheely crash yesterday I noticed that I almost punctured the oil filter cap again...anyone thought or seen of some type of frame sliders?? Kinda off topic but really dont wanna get stranded one day
This is the skidplate I intend to purchase

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=783

Extra protection...but not sure itll help that issue
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1419
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
What about axle sliders like super motos do.

http://www.google.com/search?q=skate...qkXX4e805Tw3M:
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1420
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Charcoal canister went bye bye, free'd up space on the backside of the engine, I can heat up some food behind there when im on the trails now. ha

Charcoal Canister Removed by Guerillah, on Flickr
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #1421
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Alcohol in the fuel will make my F800ST stall repeatable , the stores often times jack up prices via adding more alcohol than is posted.
One BMW shop told me they had drained out 30% alcohol from a service for stalling . My F800 BMW will stall easily with alcohol in the fuel, I avoid the stuff. Plain burned out a fuel pump @ 800 miles, changed to normal fuel, no problem @ 15,000 miles.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #1422
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Anyone having any issues with their 250L's stalling for no apparent reason? I got about 800km on mine now, most of my drives this far have been mainly 30-40km's at a time,pretty much all pavement/dirt roads accessible by cars, and it will usually stall or quit at least once each outing. Mostly when stopped or slowing down to stop and once today while I was cruising along at about 50km/h, it just quit almost as if ya hit the kill switch. The bike will fire right back up no problem, just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue. I am about 99% positive it ain't my driving skills, as the wife's 250L doesn't have this issue (according to her, and I haven't noticed it the little i drove it either) May have to bring it up with the mechanic's at the dealer when it goes in for its 1st service, which I'm quite sure they will likely blame me also...lol
I seem to recall another EFI bike having the exact same problem. Early year FJR1300's maybe? Had something to do with the ECU programming and not sure if the manufacturer ever owned up to it and offered a fix or not.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #1423
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post

Seat Concepts Seat, Ricochet skid plate, Manrack with Rotopax mount, hour meter, 13T sprocket...
just mind the skidplate, mine didnt line up properly with the top holes, welding was good on it, but i didnt wanna go bending the tabs for the skidplate just incase i wanna put the old one back on, so i just fitted up the one bolt, and did it up tight as, havent had any dramas with it since. motor does run a bit warm but pfft, its watercooled, if it was aircooled i'd be worried.
1993 Barina- Sigh...
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #1424
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
This is the skidplate I intend to purchase

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=783

Extra protection...but not sure itll help that issue
TCI has some interesting bits there, and those guards look stout....but OMG UUUUGLY!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #1425
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Alcohol in the fuel will make my F800ST stall repeatable , the stores often times jack up prices via adding more alcohol than is posted.
One BMW shop told me they had drained out 30% alcohol from a service for stalling . My F800 BMW will stall easily with alcohol in the fuel, I avoid the stuff. Plain burned out a fuel pump @ 800 miles, changed to normal fuel, no problem @ 15,000 miles.
The latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article how to test your fuel for alcohol, and how to make it separate from the gasoline so you can remove it......maybe brew up 5 gallons of the stuff....or buy some alcohol free fuel (hard to find in some places)....then go out and ride and burn it up and TRY to make it stall......sure would do all CRF owners a favor to determine if that's the bad guy