Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #71791
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Do modifications like an aftermarket exhaust and carb mods affect the reliability and longevity of a dr650?
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #71792
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good luck finding something that works ... but you ask a lot when you add the Two UP feature.

A WR250R is not going to cut it unless your wife is super petite and a professional gymnast or pro dancer (toughest women in the world!).
Got to go ONE WAY or THE OTHER. Not ALL WAYS at once ALL on one bike!

Agree W/what others have said: ... the DR650 is, IMO, about as close to a DO IT ALL bike as there is, especially if you figure in reliability and price.

I first rode a '96 DR650 ... that was in '96! Had owned an XL600R, new '92 XR650L before the '96 DR650. To me, at the time, the DR was just "OK". But I never did even one mod on it. (it was a Suzuki press bike so only spent a couple weeks with it)

Several bikes since ... including new KLR650 ('98), '01 KTM 640, XR250R, DRZ400. The KTM was a terrible street bike for me; TOO TALL, worst vibes of anything I've ever ridden.

Years later, came back to the DR650 after venturing through many sport bikes, TDM850, BMW's and Moto Guzzi and Vstrom's.
In '06 re-discovered the DR650 ... got onto the good mods and have never looked back. I love it.

I still have my NON plated WR250F for real dirt riding, but for fire roads, Desert and Baja the DR is quite impressive. With a Corbin seat its ten hour a day capable, can haul a huge load or passenger. Has never missed a beat. How many KTM owners can honestly state that after 50K miles?

I am looking forward to putting some miles on my new to me DR, my first DR. This weekend 2 or 300 miles is in the plans.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #71793
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogor View Post
Anyone have a spare oem header or is there a better option.

Just saw these on ebay. might be worth a look??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280998084...84.m1424.l2649
dunno if it's any good, but if it is, this one is better.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280997806282

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #71794
rogor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
dunno if it's any good, but if it is, this one is better.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280997806282

doug s.

But my one has free delivery??
rogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #71795
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogor View Post
But my one has free delivery??
the one i linked has free delivery; not the one you linked...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #71796
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
Do modifications like an aftermarket exhaust and carb mods affect the reliability and longevity of a dr650?
http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Pumper carb, exhaust mods, cut airbox.......sold still running strong with 75,000 miles on it. I'm gonna hazard a guess at "no"......

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #71797
FuzzyNugs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
My experience, too. I've done 5 DR's and have another scheduled in a week. After the first one, I found it faster and MUCH less frustrating to just pop the clutch off. I bought the tool - any excuse I can get to buy another too is fine with me. Plus, the fellow riders I've done/led through the process learned a little about their bike.
TrophyHunter's advice should be gospel with regards to the NSU fix debate on clutch removal. He helped me do my DR and I had never seen a clutch in my life, let alone my new bike dismembered before my eyes. Thanks again for the help and mechanical lesson. I still know what a banjo bolt is, lol. If I was to do it again, I'd be taking the clutch off because it's simple to do and the correct procedure.
FuzzyNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #71798
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Pumper carb, exhaust mods, cut airbox.......sold still running strong with 75,000 miles on it. I'm gonna hazard a guess at "no"......
Do you really have 75, 000 miles on your DR? Is that with the motor untouched or has the motor been reconditioned?

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #71799
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,136
mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
Probably, but the difference in performance that they can make if done properly, far outweighs the extra maintenance required- in my opinion.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #71800
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
engine rebuild

hi all, anyone else out there done an engine rebuild or currently have an engine in pieces and can tell me which of the bearings inside the cases has a small split pin protruding from the outer race? i remember this was the only bearing that i couldnt buy off the shelf from a cheaper shop but i cant remember which one it was.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #71801
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,301
Trailtech Dashboard troubleshooting

installed a new Trailtech Vapor and Dashboard last night - the previous owner had one installed but between the miles and broken or chafed wires I decided to make it all new. When I took possession of the bike, the Vapor was mounted, but there was no Dashboard. When exploring the wiring harness last night I found what I assume was his old hookup - the dashboard plugged right into it and after a fashion seemed to work. Left directional light works. Right directional light works. High-beam light works. Neutral light works. In my mind I think "Score!"

Here is where my little story goes sideways. When I put the bike in gear the high-beam indicator light on the dashboard goes out. In the Vapor wiring harness these two lights share a ground (I think). I know, I should have taken pictures last night. I'll try to get over to my buddy's garage and do that later today.

Additional information:
The bike has an aftermarket light/directional/horn control - my best guess is Procycle's Mini handlebar control switch, this was all done by the previous owner.

It has an interesting feature where is will kill the headlight if you wish. When the bike is in neutral, everything works as expected. With the bike in gear, the headlight kill does not work.

I'm no wiring guy, but my buddy is pretty good. As I see it, I have 3 possible areas to focus on to troubleshoot this. The Trailtech wiring harness. The Handlebar Control unit wiring. OR the neutral sensor switch (whatever t iis really called).

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before, or have ideas or thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #71802
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
on my 2nd DR

After taking a rock to the case a month ago and having the DR totaled, I was on the fence about what to do for a replacement bike. (you can see it happen at minute 2:10 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cR80h-QNo&feature=plcp the rock i hit was sticking up a few inches out of the dirt and was less than a foot long and kind of pointed. Just bad luck that i hit it and it punched the oil drain up into the case and also caused the rear clamp on the skid plate to knock a hole in the back. The insurance company was going to fix the engine, but the bent frame tube was enough to push the repair cost over 85% of the bikes value.)

I had visions of a KTM 690 Enduro R...or possibly an XR560. I was looking for the holy grail of dirt/road. I weighed all the options and came back to the trusty DR.

I love the versitility and reliability of the DR. My riding buddy Mark is on his 3rd DR...went looking for the better bike and keeps coming back to the DR as well. Now that we're older and slightly wiser...our focus has changed from looking for the max performance to looking for max reliability and comfort. With a few mods, the DR is the only bike that seems to fit. Our motto is 'riding, not wrenching'

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
+1 The WR250R is a pretty amazing little bike but like Grifter says nothing is going to be decent on trails and commuting and still be acceptable for hauling a passenger (except a DR650)

You might as well start shopping for your new DR now. You wouldn't be the first one around here to sell their DR only to get another one a year or so later.
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #71803
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
After taking a rock to the case a month ago and having the DR totaled, I was on the fence about what to do for a replacement bike. (you can see it happen at minute 2:10 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cR80h-QNo&feature=plcp the rock i hit was sticking up a few inches out of the dirt and was less than a foot long and kind of pointed. Just bad luck that i hit it and it punched the oil drain up into the case and also caused the rear clamp on the skid plate to knock a hole in the back. The insurance company was going to fix the engine, but the bent frame tube was enough to push the repair cost over 85% of the bikes value.)
It's difficult to get a feel for just how high up that launched you before you came down, but it obviously sucked.

Question for ya - did you have an upgraded suspension (stiffer springs) on that bike? It sort of looked like the stock springs, as I know mine are so weak that they'd 'disappear' underneath me if I tried anything like that. I'm just wondering if upgraded springs would have prevented some of the hurt (though it's tough to get away from the harm a poorly design skid plate will do).
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #71804
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 819
Horror Movie

The sound of the rock hitting the case was brutal. And seeing the pig bleeding out like that was very sad. It must have made the rest of the day pretty interesting. Was that in VA or WV? The reddish clay looked familiar but not the straight and open road.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #71805
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Do you really have 75, 000 miles on your DR? Is that with the motor untouched or has the motor been reconditioned?

I only WISH that was my site and over 5 years of adventure. I don't know if Adam ( JediMaster here ) had any engine work done in those miles. I kept up with most of his posts and don't remember any rebuilds but a read through would tell you I guess.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote