Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #346
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So for you and singletrackslayer.......... So do you think most American riders are in better shape than the grossly fat general public? For your sizes/height you seem to be keeping pretty fit. You seem to be agreeing with me. We probably have very similar BMIs. Bugs me to hear guys my height (5-10) blame their bike for overall weight problems when they are 40-50 lbs overweight themselves. I am going to assume that is tongue in cheek humor.
Yep just a Lil humor I agree most Americans are fat and lazy
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #347
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
When someone says "enduro", I think "street plated".
Get with the times man. "Enduro" hasn't meant "street plated" since the 70's man. The term today is "Dual Sport" or "Dual Purpose". KTM & Husqvarna both offer some great "Enduro" bikes that are plated but, they aren't true D.S. or D.P. bikes any more than a multi-cylinder "adventure" bike is.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #348
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Get with the times man. "Enduro" hasn't meant "street plated" since the 70's man. The term today is "Dual Sport" or "Dual Purpose". KTM & Husqvarna both offer some great "Enduro" bikes that are plated but, in my opinion they aren't true D.S. or D.P. bikes any more than a multi-cylinder "adventure" bike is.
FIFY

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone has a personal need list for what they want and need out of a bike...but you can't really pick and choose which bikes get which label (well, i guess you can in your own head...). If it goes in the dirt and is legal for the street...it's a friggin dual sport or dual purpose bike. Period.

Your personal idea of a perfect 50/50 dual sport is different from mine
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #349
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
FIFY

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone has a personal need list for what they want and need out of a bike...but you can't really pick and choose which bikes get which label (well, i guess you can in your own head...). If it goes in the dirt and is legal for the street...it's a friggin dual sport or dual purpose bike. Period.

Your personal idea of a perfect 50/50 dual sport is different from mine
Good point. Everyone has their own opinions but, a 50/50 dual sport should be exactly that otherwise it's a 60/40 or 40/60 or some other percent dual sport. If your idea of a perfect Dual Sport is a GNCC replica or a Gold wing with knobbies that's fine but neither bike is a 50/50 Dual Sport.

I have a 450 EXC ('05 before they were plated) & it's light years ahead of my KLR 650 IN THE DIRT. I have thought about getting it plated as that would be convenient for forrest roads & SHORT trips to a riding area, & maybe I will someday. However a plate & some mirrors won't turn my cross country racing bike into a true 50/50 D.S. bike any more than removing the lights, mirrors & putting agressive knobbies on my KLR will turn it into a cross country racing bike.

I stand corrected. A plated 450 EXC or a GS 1200 IS a dual sport or dual purpose bike but, neither bike is a 50/50 D.S./D.P. bike.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #350
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Good point. Everyone has their own opinions but, a 50/50 dual sport should be exactly that otherwise it's a 60/40 or 40/60 or some other percent dual sport. If your idea of a perfect Dual Sport is a GNCC replica or a Gold wing with knobbies that's fine but neither bike is a 50/50 Dual Sport.

I have a 450 EXC ('05 before they were plated) & it's light years ahead of my KLR 650 IN THE DIRT. I have thought about getting it plated as that would be convenient for forrest roads & SHORT trips to a riding area, & maybe I will someday. However a plate & some mirrors won't turn my cross country racing bike into a true 50/50 D.S. bike any more than removing the lights, mirrors & putting agressive knobbies on my KLR will turn it into a cross country racing bike.

I stand corrected. A plated 450 EXC or a GS 1200 IS a dual sport or dual purpose bike but, neither bike is a 50/50 D.S./D.P. bike.
However some bikes like the KTM EXC 500 blur that line a lot more now. I could see one as a dual sport as it is smooth and strong enough for the road as well as a passable trail machine. They need to work on getting their prices down, getting larger fuel tanks and a stronger rear subframe is about all I can see..... But we digress from the original subject....and no, I don't own a KTM.
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #351
tassie jeeper
XR Cafe Racer

Oddometer: 16
Wicked

u could make a nice dual sport motor out of the crf 450x first thing id do is stroke it to 500 cc (more torque), increase the flywheel weight (smoother power) and put on a seat u can actually stand to sit on for more than 5 mins, a decent headlight, small led indicator's and tail light that dont get in the way and a larger fuel tank that would be a pretty good all rounder.

i found the 450x atm to be to snappy and uncomfortable to ride (the power of a 500cc 2 stroke is smoother) and if u are in terain where u dont want arm wrenching power u just click it up a gear) i found i could not do that on the 450 as it would near stall and with the slightest increase of throttle it was back to power band again so the 450 has alot of potential but atm its just a race bike with a colder cam.

also it be nice if u only had to change the oil every 1000+ miles
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #352
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassie jeeper View Post
u could make a nice dual sport motor out of the crf 450x first thing id do is stroke it to 500 cc (more torque), increase the flywheel weight (smoother power) and put on a seat u can actually stand to sit on for more than 5 mins, a decent headlight, small led indicator's and tail light that dont get in the way and a larger fuel tank that would be a pretty good all rounder.

i found the 450x atm to be to snappy and uncomfortable to ride (the power of a 500cc 2 stroke is smoother) and if u are in terain where u dont want arm wrenching power u just click it up a gear) i found i could not do that on the 450 as it would near stall and with the slightest increase of throttle it was back to power band again so the 450 has alot of potential but atm its just a race bike with a colder cam.

also it be nice if u only had to change the oil every 1000+ miles
It always ends up being a compromise doesn't it In the end you really have to build your own it seems......getting a racier bike and making it more streetable...or a streetier bike and making it more dirt worthy, and everything in between. I'm a lazy bastid, rather ride than wrench, but I find that even I end up modding my machines.....and actually enjoying it...sick I know

In the end tho, I think the personalizing often becomes half the fun
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #353
tassie jeeper
XR Cafe Racer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
It always ends up being a compromise doesn't it In the end you really have to build your own it seems......getting a racier bike and making it more streetable...or a streetier bike and making it more dirt worthy, and everything in between. I'm a lazy bastid, rather ride than wrench, but I find that even I end up modding my machines.....and actually enjoying it...sick I know

i couldn't agree with u more,

i stumbles upon this the other day and if ur not doing real heavy offroad work it would be an awesome dualsport :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...209019&page=16
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #354
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassie jeeper View Post
i couldn't agree with u more,

i stumbles upon this the other day and if ur not doing real heavy offroad work it would be an awesome dualsport :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...209019&page=16

So what if Kaw built a 300cc twin platform DS bike like Honda has done with the CRF250l and the NX700? I can see these generic motor/chassis platforms starting in every cc segment. An easy way to satisfy a lot of different kinds of buyers without having to develop a lot of new engines. I do see the CRF250 getting bigger because the street version has to get bigger now in order for big red to battle Kaw. It is also a big part of Honda history to start with a smaller cc engine and go bigger.... think the XR series,..500,600,650 all from basically the same engine design. Will we see this as a trend?A 300L followed by a 350L etc.
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #355
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Yup. the "thats my bike" feeling. blood sweat and tires.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #356
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post
You're a classic whether you know it or not.

And thanks for more coarse expletives and taunting via PM, it further reinforces the irony. I won't stoop to your level, sorry.

I personally wouldn't drone a 450x down the highway, that's not what I'd phrase as the dual sport riding I like to do. But, I wouldn't hesitate parking it out in your town, riding a couple hundred miles of what the region has to offer, loading up and heading home. If a 450L were to be made I'd consider that but my dual sport motives are more in tune with the former.

In the right hands buddy, in the right hands.......
Hell, I'm jealous. I thought he only did that with me. He was such a sweet natured child, I miss him already.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #357
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Does anyone think or know if Honda Reps look at stuff like this in these forums to determine whats made etc?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #358
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Does anyone think or know if Honda Reps look at stuff like this in these forums to determine whats made etc?

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #359
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
But Japan hasn't put out an enduro race bike since......the XRR?

That's not even correct. I don't think Japan has ever put out an enduro "race" bike.
What? Tell Randy Hawkins that, Jeff Fredette ....
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #360
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
What? Tell Randy Hawkins that, Jeff Fredette ....
Jeff"Mr. KDX" Fredette and the KDX lineup predates the XRR by just a a bit.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote