Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #211
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
Sold the Uly because I wasn't riding it enough (we had a kid) but I still have time for short dirt rides once in a while so I'm riding a XR650L... another TALL air cooled bike. Lots of fun. You can have a good time on any bike.

Just be happy you've got a bike and are healthy enough to ride it.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #212
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,120
Slightly of topic, but

I've recently become enamored with the Uly, but during research I've noticed more problems with the earlier "06 models.
My question is, do the other Buell models, specifically an XB12SS, of the same vintage suffer similar problems? A low mileage one is available locally, but will I be looking at ECM upgrades, bearing problems, fan failure etc? I realize this is not setup as a tourer, but it will be more of a local rider, with some runs to the GA mountains for fun.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #213
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I've recently become enamored with the Uly, but during research I've noticed more problems with the earlier "06 models.
My question is, do the other Buell models, specifically an XB12SS, of the same vintage suffer similar problems? A low mileage one is available locally, but will I be looking at ECM upgrades, bearing problems, fan failure etc? I realize this is not setup as a tourer, but it will be more of a local rider, with some runs to the GA mountains for fun.
As with any machine, you typically hear the bad, more than the good, because the internet is a source of information. Folks describe problems, hoping to find answers, etc.. those with no isuues are busy riding and enjoying.
Go scan the GS thread, the KTM threads, etc.Youll find similar results, however maybe different shortcomings.
My relationship with this bike began in June, i have put 5,000 miles or so on it since then. I Love it. Theres no other way to describe it. The ride, handeling, ergos, power, all are just pure joy. Now, having said that, I will say it took me personally, a bit to get mine dialed in. I finally got Kevin Drummer, of Drummer Performance Exhausts to give me a quick call, and was able to upload his ECM map into my machine, completely different bike now.
The Positives, are many, the negatives arent really negatives, you just need to search yourself and see if you feel like dealing with them. The bikes are noisy, that big air cooled twin up between your legs will have you scratching your head sometimes, as in "what the hell is that noise", then a week later " O.k that one went away, now whats this new one". They tick, vibrate, etc.
HEAT.. Lots of it, to me, its bearable even in 95 degree heat, however I heard horror stories also.
Next to zero dealer support. You have to be accepting that, if something happens that you cannot fgure out yourself, it more than likely is not going to get fixed by the local harley dealer. Badweatherbikers have a ton of information about these bikes, and fixes, etc. But, are you comftorable with that?
plus side, no valves or chain to adjust, just basically oil changes, a new belt every 20,000 miles or so (mileage may vary of course) and your good to go.
Personally I enjoy it, I have almost 40 years under my belt on bikes, and I really enjoy this one.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #214
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
19,000 miles without a problem on my Ulysses. The XB series in general is pretty reliable.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #215
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I've been through more bikes than I can remember in my 60 years and my 08 Uly Xt is one of my all time favorites. You need to add the comfort kit to deal with the heat issues and I replaced the rear wheel with a 2010 wheel and upgraded bearings and I haven't had any problems what so ever. In fact I may buy an older model tube frame buell just to play with because I love the aesthetics. I have a 650 v-strom for my long trips to Mexico and such because its so damn reliable. It is kind of boring though. If I get rid of anything it would be the v-strom and I will probably replace it with the tiger 1050 or the super tenere. The v-strom is about as bullet proof as it gets but it just kind of puts me to sleep.