User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 223 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #2056
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
First chance of a snow ride since I build the bike (first time that snow in 3 weeks) the bike is super fun and the new Nate tires provide incredible traction with absolute control..

Even the clothes work great, I just need a "bandana" so my sweat does not freeze over my eyebrows..

Now the question is how to wash the bike since the outside hoses are frozen and using the Bathtub is a No, NO with so much mud.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #2057
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Now the question is how to wash the bike since the outside hoses are frozen and using the Bathtub is a No, NO with so much mud.
The local road crews, now, use calcium chloride to melt snow/ice. That crap is highly corrosive. I hope they don't use it, in your area. One of the local auto repair shops claims he's replacing one set of coil springs and multiple sets of brake/fuel lines per month. I put two sets of front springs on my daughter's '02 car, as she commutes ~80 miles a day, and they literally corroded in two. I rode my Tiger, through last year's winter. Every piece of hardware is, now, corroded. That stuff is definitely having a detrimental affect on everything metal, in our area. Probably, the best thing to do is hookup a garden hose to your hot water heater's drain and run it outside to your bike.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #2058
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The local road crews, now, use calcium chloride to melt snow/ice. That crap is highly corrosive. Probably, the best thing to do is hookup a garden hose to your hot water heater's drain and run it outside to your bike.
I was going to suggest a 1L pump spray bottle with warm water. That would let you melt the ice/mud ok, and let you control where it went. I've done the hot water heater drain thing after hitting an old engine with oven cleaner - it worked well, but don't forget the oven mitts! Can't hold the hose once it's at temp!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #2059
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I was going to suggest a 1L pump spray bottle with warm water. That would let you melt the ice/mud ok, and let you control where it went. I've done the hot water heater drain thing after hitting an old engine with oven cleaner - it worked well, but don't forget the oven mitts! Can't hold the hose once it's at temp!
I just used a bucket of warm water and some rags to wash the bike outside, the cold was not to bad and with the warm water I did not even notice my hands getting cold..

I have done the bathtub wash many times and is super fun and pleasant but not with so much mud, I just pre-rinse them with a hose outside.

One more reason to go with a aluminum fat bike..
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #2060
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
The local road crews, now, use calcium chloride to melt snow/ice. That crap is highly corrosive. I hope they don't use it, in your area. One of the local auto repair shops claims he's replacing one set of coil springs and multiple sets of brake/fuel lines per month. I put two sets of front springs on my daughter's '02 car, as she commutes ~80 miles a day, and they literally corroded in two. I rode my Tiger, through last year's winter. Every piece of hardware is, now, corroded. That stuff is definitely having a detrimental affect on everything metal, in our area. Probably, the best thing to do is hookup a garden hose to your hot water heater's drain and run it outside to your bike.
Oh I took the pictures on the street after I finish the ride next to the car, but I don't think I will ever ride this bike on city streets (at least not when is snowing) so I don't need to worry about road chemicals just nature mud and snow..

Yes I did learn how to drive a car, but i resit for 48years.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:14 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2061
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Here's a DIY solution for ya Ricky

M
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #2062
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Thanks senor..

Will see what will happen in later rides but so far the warm water did the trick perfectly, in fact no need for a second wash on the tub, I think the trick is to do right after your finish riding so the mud is not cake in..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #2063
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Probably, the best thing to do is hookup a garden hose to your hot water heater's drain and run it outside to your bike.
Errr heat will speed corrosion. You want cool water not hot. I use a paint brush to encourage the dirt away. A spray bottle could be used to put the water on, keep it inside so it does not freeze?

Then finish with some car polish - you want stuff that leaves a coating behind, wax or something. Even on the non painted stuff (leavers etc).

-------------

Ricardo - you will get road spray off the car onto your bike - so you should clean it when you get home... the bike that is.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #2064
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
First chance of a snow ride since I build the bike (first time that snow in 3 weeks) the bike is super fun and the new Nate tires provide incredible traction with absolute control..

Even the clothes work great, I just need a "bandana" so my sweat does not freeze over my eyebrows..

Check out Halo brand headbands. I love mine.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2065
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Check out Halo brand headbands. I love mine.
Yeah I just order one last night, funny I did not need it as much in the summer but is mandatory for the winter..
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #2066
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Bridgestone XO-3. I bought it new in 1994 when Bridgestone bit the dust. I still have it.

Alex Moulton Jubilee. I bought it used in the mid 80s. I still have this one too.

McLean. I bought the frame in the mid 80s and traded it last summer.

My Rivendell Sam Hilborne. It wears studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires when the roads are snow and ice covered:

Three more still to come.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #2067
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
Bridgestone XO-3. I bought it new in 1994 when Bridgestone bit the dust. I still have it.

Had a Bridgestone RB-0 back 20 years ago....Never should have let it go

Edit: To add- I recall their catalogs. They were beautiful, on rag, recycled paper. Works done by someone who was proud of their work (like their bikes). Perhaps too much quality at a time when they had to compete with mass chinese production

Signal screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 08:52 PM
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #2068
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,789
Columbia Twosome circa 1950

We added a 7 speed internal hub to it to help get us up the hills.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #2069
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
That's all you! I'll keep working on a way to move down toward "fullmonte".
I rode in shorts yesterday.. It was the first cold day we have had in weeks, low 40's.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #2070
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Had a Bridgestone RB-0 back 20 years ago....Never should have let it go

Edit: To add- I recall their catalogs. They were beautiful, on rag, recycled paper. Works done by someone who was proud of their work (like their bikes). Perhaps too much quality at a time when they had to compete with mass chinese production
That guy - Grant Petersen - is still in business... http://www.rivbike.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: