Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #31816
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 190
8k miles?? that sucks!!

good bike...bad PO IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by einnar View Post
Tore down the engine yesterday on my R after it failed a compression test. Showed about 30psi on the guage.
This last summer my bike died on the highway suddenly. No power, and a puff of smoke suddenly came out the back end. Come to find out, the oil had suddenly disappeared. (I checked it less than 10 miles before it died.) I bought the bike used, and managed to put only 2 tanks of gas in it before this happened.

Months later, I finally have time, and a buddy available to help who has all the tools.. (Amazing how hard it is to get together when he travels for work, and I have a newborn in the house. )We tore it down, and found out the compression ring is broken. Fortunately, all the parts stayed in the groove until we coaxed the piston out of the cylinder (packing the bottom end before we did this.) All bits recovered!

While I had it apart, I tested the valves, and found that 3 of the 4 are definitely leaking... the 4th looked moist, so it probably is too.
Now to find a machine shop.. Kinda sad for a bike with about 8k on it.
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #31817
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,733
I rode the Alcan5000 in 2006 and 2010. It starts in Seattle, north to Dawson, west to Fairbanks south to Valdez and west to Anchorage for the finish. 9 days to cover some 4600 miles, of which about 2000 is dirt roads. Then ride back to the truck in Seattle. 7400 miles total. 14 hour days. I rode a KTM 950. In the 2014 version I have entered my Yam WRR.

Tires:
2006 used TKC 80. Rear made it to Dawson. The front made it to Watson Lake on the way back. The chase trucks carried our spares, but we spooned them on by hand in parking lots.

2010 used Mefo Explorers. They made the whole trip but were paper thin by Seattle. The front sucked in the mud too. Set PSI to 40# for trip back. All the singles changed rear rubber in Fairbanks. Changed fronts on way back.

The only shops I heard of were in Whitehorse, Fairbanks and Anchorage, although they were not open when we passed through. Some riders did oil changes in Dawson as there was an auto parts place and gas stations that carried plenty of oil choices. I didn't. Don't know about Prince George, but it's a big town so probably has bike shops. It's pretty far south, though.

Comfort:
Need heated gear plus waterproof clothing as the weather sucks above BC. Lots of rain. Sleet and hail too. I suggest 3 sets of gloves, of which two should be waterproof. I use Black Diamond mountaineering gloves with thin palms. Alaska sheepskin buttpad should be enough, but I had a gelseat on my KTM.

Cramps:
Easy to get dehydrated and you know it when you start to cramp up. Always use a Camelbak and suck on it periodically. If you cramp suck on it more, and the cramp will fade.

2014 I'll use either Michelin T63 tires or Pirelli MT21's on my WRR. I expect to consume two sets. My WRR also has a fly screen, 3.7 gal tank, and requisite electronics. I find it plenty comfortable with stock seat and sheepskin. I wear Nike compression under shorts, which helps a lot too.

The longest trips I've taken on my WRR were only about 3k miles. Seems to me the only difference is tire consumption. If I were doing your trip, I'd have tires drop shipped to hotels.

www.alcan5000.com. Check out the route and itinerary. Maybe give you some ideas for your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Not to change the subject BUT, I am planning on a return to Dawson, Yt. Canada for the 2013 Dust 2 Dawson, and I am seeking any long distance RR's done on the WRR. I've read Big Dog's and 10cup's RR's briefly, and was wondering if anyone could share a link to other LONG distance(over 5000miles) RReports done on the WRR. Also seeking favorable tire stores locations in Prince George,BC, Dawson and Whitehorse, YT from our Canadien brothers/sisters . Base route will be north from Tenn. to Calgary, AB to Jasper,Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson,YT this part will be all Highway. So I am starting out with some type of Dual sport road-biased DOT tire; possibly pirelli MT 90 scorpions like I used on my 2010 MC trip on my KTM. I would like to do this on a smaller lighter bike; if I can work out the uncomfortable seat problem(currently trying out a Sargent seat); so I can enjoy some off road sections when I get to Alaska(Lord willing), up to Deadhorse , back down to Homer and over to Haines to get the ferry south to Prince Rupert. When I return to states I would like to pick up CDT down to Colorado and some out west trails before heading back East to Tennessee. Any kit,tires, favorite locals,insights would be appreciated.
TNX Paul
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #31818
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
A local to those areas you mentioned may be able to suggest a reasonable shop for tires, but you should know that bike tires are really expensive in Canada, and taxes are higher than you're used to. I would find an inmate to receive a shipment for you, and hopefully one who has tools & space (& a cold beer) for you to mount them.

Pete's Superbikes in Quebec has decent prices, though shipping eats away the savings last time I checked.

Another option would be to mail-order a set of tires, tubes, etc. to yourself in TN with free shipping from Rocky Mountain ATV, Motorcycle Superstore, etc., then ship them yourself to an inmate in Canada.

With a trip this long, you will likely need more than one set, especially if running DOT knobbies. Might want to consider installing another set of fresh tires once you cross back into the US, just before the CDT.

If you are shipping tires, you might also think about sending any other consumables you might need as well, such as a couple oil filters, chain & sprockets, swing-arm seal guard, etc. Selection will be limited, prices will be high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Also seeking favorable tire stores locations in Prince George,BC, Dawson and Whitehorse, YT from our Canadien brothers/sisters . Base route will be north from Tenn. to Calgary, AB to Jasper,Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson,YT this part will be all Highway. So I am starting out with some type of Dual sport road-biased DOT tire; possibly pirelli MT 90 scorpions like I used on my 2010 MC trip on my KTM. I would like to do this on a smaller lighter bike; if I can work out the uncomfortable seat problem(currently trying out a Sargent seat); so I can enjoy some off road sections when I get to Alaska(Lord willing), up to Deadhorse , back down to Homer and over to Haines to get the ferry south to Prince Rupert. When I return to states I would like to pick up CDT down to Colorado and some out west trails before heading back East to Tennessee. Any kit,tires, favorite locals,insights would be appreciated.
TNX Paul
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #31819
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,888
skierd long distance adventures:

How I spent my summer vacation, or 6000 miles on a WR250R

Chasing dreams and the ghost of my soul

Chasing Dreams, vol. 2

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #31820
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,775
Maryland to Fairbanks was roundabout 7000 miles. The others were similar in length.

I rode to Dawson from Fairbanks over the Top of the World highway on continental sport touring front and a heidenau K76 rear, not exactly aggressive dirt tires. I rode the same tires to Deadhorse two weeks prior (it was blessedly dry however, the few rainy bits were snotty as hell on those). Hell, a grandmother rode up from Ontario solo on a Hayabusa over the Top of the World. You'll be fine with whatever rubber you decide to run, so long as you stay within your and their limits.

Gas is the bigger concern, you'll want a minimum of 175 miles of range imo though gas is relatively plentiful in summer as many stations are open seasonally. I love my seat concepts seat, especially with a Alaskan Leather sheepskin seat.

Oil filters are available up here, at least in Fairbanks, for the same gouge price dealers in the lower 48 charge for the most part. Same with chains, sprockets, etc. Sprocket center ships to anywhere in the US for $5.95 via USPS if you really need it, but you should be fine if you replace it before you leave. Same with the swingarm guard. Gas is significantly more expensive in Canada however, and you'll want to pay cash for it to avoid big credit card holds every time you fill up.

If you can make it to Fairbanks, I HIGHLY recommend ADV Cycleworks for your maintenance needs. Dan is a great guy, and has good prices on Heidenau tires. My rear K76 has about 5000 miles on it and is maybe 1/3 to 1/2 worn, I'd be tempted to just get a set of K60's and run them for the entire ride. Otherwise, my next set of dirt wheels will get a Pirelli MT16 or MT21 front and a Dunlop D606 rear.

skierd screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 12:06 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #31821
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oh, and here's my Dalton highway ride

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800384
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #31822
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
Hey! I can't get above 189, even with my speedo broken this way. You must have the superbike version.

If anyone finds a fix other than 'replace the head unit' I'd love to know. That's the only one I've seen. Luckily, it's not /hideously/ expensive, but it does seem a pretty broad problem.
What can I say? I'm just that fast. Boom.

Thanks for the help guys! I don't like the answer at all, but thanks for the help!
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #31823
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by blz-bob View Post
I know I saw info about this in the thread somewhere but now I can't find it. Anyway, I recently discovered my battery completely dead, and now that I have it charged, my speedometer is reading a little bit high: I can easily break 200mph and cruise with traffic at 180 mph with ease now. I did confirm it's not set to kilometers.
Does anybody know if there's a cure for this?
This problem was discussed not long ago, and the only known cure is a new Speedo/head unit.
I'm trying to figure out what actually fubars the head unit so if you don't mind a couple of questions...........
  1. Did the battery run down while the bike was sitting turned off, or did the key get left on?
  2. Did you turn the bike on with a low, or near dead battery and try to crank it or was it just completely dead?
  3. Did you try to Jump Start it with cables from another battery?
  4. Did you have any kind of a accidental spark while connecting the new battery?
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #31824
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 397
Trip binfo

TNX guys,

Skierd I believe I did read some of your RR from Maryland to Deadhorse a few months back.
I did my previous trip in 5 months & 26000miles in 2010; can see @
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875) not my best; and was at the Dawn 2 Dawson and Top of the World Highway(@<30mph in heavy rain; a motorhome went off the road just ahead of me and it was a race from the gas pump at Chicken past the acc. scene to beat the tow truck and the inevitable multi hour road block) I made an attempt (2) in the rain to go up the Dalton on my overloaded KTM 990, but turned around NEAR THE Yukon river. 15mph for 250miles to Coldfoot was just not getting done for me. This trip I'll probably shoe on a HEIDENAU K60 front and Dunlap 606 I'll order; I didn't see any 120/80-18's on there website but if it is available and you think it will last just as well or better than the 606 I'll try that. I know Dan and Shaun from my 2010 trip (@ ADV cycle works). I'm coming up with a conservative estimate of 12,000 miles over 2 months period. I did 3 annuals in 3 mo., 4 oil and filter changes 5 front and 6 rear tires on the KTM on that trip. This time I'll start with fresh oil semi-syn 3-4500miles changes, Scott's metal reusable filter. New sprockets (14/49 for hiway, spare 51LW for change over in Fairbanks), and new chain on new Warp 9 wheels, new brake pads fresh brake fluid. Fresh lube on steering stem bearings and swing arm bearings. My WRR is a 2011 bought new in April and has 5900miles now. I have Safari 3.7g tank, rotopax/koplin fuel cell holder on my Wolfman rack, and a collapsible 8L fuel bladder if it ever gets here from Australia; so I should have fuel range covered to get up to Prudhoe Bay and back.
TNX Pantah for your info, I've used the Mefo's on the KTM and only got <5000 on the rear. Mostly highway so no mud experience with them. They are mostly for heavy weight dual sports. I used TKC80's from Fairbanks to try the Dalton and they lasted over to D2D down to Whitehorse, Skagway(ferry to Prince Rupert) Hyder, then Prince George. I did get a tire(rear) but I can't remember where. Stayed at the college a couple days before moving out to Jasper, then Calgary Stamped and points south.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #31825
DualDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Bridgestone Trail Wing TW302 Tire

I posted over on the flea market that I have have Bridgestone TW302 Trail Wing Tires size 4.10-18 for sale which are $70 shipped to your door Or $62.50 not shipped. This is way cheaper than you will find anywhere on any web site. These are brand new with stickers on them and never been used. Thought I would mention it over here as from what I can find out it looks like these fit the WR250R also. (As well as the DR350 I bought them for). If anybody is interested, let me know.

DualDog screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 05:50 PM
DualDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #31826
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,226
Blz-Bobs Speedometer problem.

Damn dude. What the heck? Hope you get some help. Curious what the exact sequence of events was also. How much is the new head unit?

Sent via my phone-expekt typing erors!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #31827
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

I've always used a 120/90-18 D606, they don't make an 80 series and the extra height is nice.

I'd just use an OE Yamaha filter and bring a spare, changing it every other change, then deal with a filter that really doesn't filter that well.

Why 14/49? There's very very little clearance between the chain and the case/case saver with a 14T, as the gouges in my case saver will attest to. Run 13/46 or 47 with the taller D606 for damn near perfect gearing for cruising and trail riding.

Dan and Shawn are still renting gas cans if you want to forgo the bladders and the rotopax as the 3.7L tank alone should be fine for the getting up here part of the trip. I only had to use my 1/2gal of spare gas (in MSR bottles) once on my ride up here, and that was because of nasty head winds and the fact that it was winter so most of the stations on the Haines Highway were closed.

I'll be working a ton this summer, but feel free to send me a PM when you get up this ways if you need anything.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #31828
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Blz-Bobs Speedometer problem.

Damn dude. What the heck? Hope you get some help. Curious what the exact sequence of events was also. How much is the new head unit?

Sent via my phone-expekt typing erors!

Maybe we could tinker with it next week? This week is booked.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #31829
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I've always used a 120/90-18 D606, they don't make an 80 series and the extra height is nice.

I'd just use an OE Yamaha filter and bring a spare, changing it every other change, then deal with a filter that really doesn't filter that well.

Why 14/49? There's very very little clearance between the chain and the case/case saver with a 14T, as the gouges in my case saver will attest to. Run 13/46 or 47 with the taller D606 for damn near perfect gearing for cruising and trail riding.

Dan and Shawn are still renting gas cans if you want to forgo the bladders and the rotopax as the 3.7L tank alone should be fine for the getting up here part of the trip. I only had to use my 1/2gal of spare gas (in MSR bottles) once on my ride up here, and that was because of nasty head winds and the fact that it was winter so most of the stations on the Haines Highway were closed.

I'll be working a ton this summer, but feel free to send me a PM when you get up this ways if you need anything.
TNX skierd,

I'll keep you in mind if everything falls in order and I make it up there. Do you know if the college is still renting out summer session rooms? When I was mentioning the 80 series tires I was referring to the Heidenau K60's that I saw on Dan's and Shaun's website. I currently am running a 606 but I will switch that out for a highway biased tire for the initial trip up there. I will need a 250 mile range to do the Dalton -correct? So my fuel bladder which can be rolled up and stored away until I get up your way should give me enough range(w/safari tank) to get up to Deadhorse and back. As far service stations I would appreciate knowing if you know of any service stations that close and don't reopen in the spring along hyways 1,2,3,4,5,Alcan,Klondike. I'll probably be following the 'Milepost' when the new one comes out for Mar. 2013. Which case saver are you using? I have the Sandman and was going to use the 14 like 'Bigdog' to get the chain further off the swingarm chain protector. I currently run 13/47 around here in Tenn. but have a LW45 T chainring for long distance hyway run up if I don't switch to the 14T on the drive cog. I already have the 49T mounted on the Warp 9 wheel set(set up for trail riding here) for a similar final drive ratio(14/49) as the 13/45T
would be if I stayed with the smaller 13T primary cog. With reference to the filter, do you have some experience with the metal permanent filters? The convenience of a roadside change and cleaning the filter with a squirt of camping stove fuel and less spares to carry is what I was looking for, but if you have some sage advice I'm all , I can go either way.

ps. Always supplement a Roadcrafter (I use a Frogg Toggs)

pfy50 screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 01:25 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #31830
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,599
Safari tanks, back in stock

I waffled long enough, called justgastanks.com on Monday morning and they had just finished putting the parts together for the Safari 3.7 gal tanks...I placed my order and it's already on the UPS truck for delivery today.

NOT SURE WHY THEIR WEBSITE STILL SAYS OUT OF STOCK...

And, I randomly found they give a 5% advrider discount as well as free shipping.

That extra .7 gal ain't cheap, but I like the protection the tank provides. What the hell, if it's good enuff for Dingweed and BigDog, it's good enuff for me.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 12:11 PM
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote