Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #13876
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Better Deals Are Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
For those of you who question the value of a late modle low mileage DR350. This biek was mentioned a few days ago. And like I predicted the bids have already reached $2K (well $1999.99 to be exact) with 4 days left.

Who wants to wager a beer on the final sale price. I am predicting $2400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item3f1fcb1654

In my opinion, that's a little too much for that bike. By comparison, I just picked up a very clean '99 SE about two weeks ago. Mine had just over 1800 miles on it. It still had the original tires on it, so you could say that it needed tires (which I've already ordered). My bike will also need the fork oil, brake fluid, air filter, etc. changed, just because of age. I knew all this before I bought it. I gladly paid $2300 for the bike. Why? Because I got the best year DR350SE made, and it's a model I've been stalking for two years. The P.O. was a very nice guy, and he threw in a nice bag for the rear rack, a tank bag, a new cable lock, and an inexpensive bike cover.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #13877
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

The Price Is Right, B***h!

Here's a pic of the new ride:
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #13878
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
The price of that 99SE might end up going for more than what it is worth (to you), but it does represnet a national market price (even though it is pick up only). Prices on these thing really fluctuate based on the area. I check Craigslist Reno, Sacramento, and the San Fransico Bay Area. DR350's prices in the City are consitantly 20-40% greater. It is all about what people are willing to pay.

And really what is a couple of hundred bucks in the grand sceme of things. Esspeically when you are talking about the best motorcycle ever built, which is no longer available new.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #13879
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Price Point

Quote:
The price of that 99SE might end up going for more than what it is worth (to you), but it does represnet a national market price (even though it is pick up only). Prices on these thing really fluctuate based on the area. I check Craigslist Reno, Sacramento, and the San Fransico Bay Area. DR350's prices in the City are consitantly 20-40% greater. It is all about what people are willing to pay.

And really what is a couple of hundred bucks in the grand sceme of things. Esspeically when you are talking about the best motorcycle ever built, which is no longer available new.
Oh, I agree - a bike's worth what the market will bear. The region definately makes a difference too. There's a California plated '95 SE on Bike Finds right now, that's going for $2750. It has 6000 miles on it too. Would I pay that much? No, but someone probably will, therefore it must be "worth it" to someone.

I also agree with, "what is a couple of hundred bucks in the grand sceme of things?" If it's exactly the bike you want, and it's in good shape, what's another $100-$200? A day's take home pay, or maybe two?

Just to illustrate prices in the Michigan dual-sport market, I recently bought an absolutely pristine 2005 KLR250, for $2150. It had 900 miles on it. A year or so ago I sold an absolutely pristine '08 CRF230L for $2400. It had brand new tires, and 2100 miles on it. These might not seem like reasonable prices to some, but they're perfectly reasonable for this area. You can get some very nice bikes in the Detroit area for sub-$2500 if you keep your eyes peeled.

That's part of the reason that Ebay DR doesn't appeal to me. You can get a better bike for less money in my market. Last summer I screwed up, and passed on a '97 DR350SE with 6800 miles on it, for $1600. It had brand new tires on it, and it ran well. If another one comes up at that price, with low miles, I'll snatch it up.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #13880
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/mcy/3445648182.html

Here is a 99 for $1600.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #13881
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
Subscribed.

1993 Suzuki DR350 / brand new pumper carb, and a shitty loud exhaust.

It really needs a better exhaust! It's very clean for 93.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #13882
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435

Hello,

The bike in question, 99se, was taken off Fleabay by owner.
Oh well, we will never know, who cares. Was very clean and sparkley.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #13883
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

The bike in question, 99se, was taken off Fleabay by owner.
Oh well, we will never know, who cares. Was very clean and sparkley.

Heirhead
Looked like it was a shop that was selling it. They must have had a walk in customer who bought it.

On another note:

Last winter I did a fork swap on my DR350. I put in a pair of dual chamber 49mm Showa conventionals off a 98 RM250. Fork works great but it needs some servicing: new oil, seals, maybe bushings. I have never done this job before. Local shop quoated me a $150 in labor. I could buy the parts or he could. He is basiclly jsut a dude out of his garage.
I have done oil changes on the stock dampener rod forks, and serviced FOX mountain bike forks before when I worked as a bike mechanic. I know that I will need a seal driver, but I think that I could get away with standard garage tools for the rest. Should I tackle this job myself. The DR is jsut sitting for the winter and will sit for another 3 months.
Anyone have any experiance with these forks. All the write ups I have read do not cover chagning the oil out of the inner chamber, or the bleeding part. I have the DRZ manual. All dual chamber reference have been for USD forks.
Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #13884
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Looked like it was a shop that was selling it. They must have had a walk in customer who bought it.

On another note:

Last winter I did a fork swap on my DR350. I put in a pair of dual chamber 49mm Showa conventionals off a 98 RM250. Fork works great but it needs some servicing: new oil, seals, maybe bushings. I have never done this job before. Local shop quoated me a $150 in labor. I could buy the parts or he could. He is basiclly jsut a dude out of his garage.
I have done oil changes on the stock dampener rod forks, and serviced FOX mountain bike forks before when I worked as a bike mechanic. I know that I will need a seal driver, but I think that I could get away with standard garage tools for the rest. Should I tackle this job myself. The DR is jsut sitting for the winter and will sit for another 3 months.
Anyone have any experiance with these forks. All the write ups I have read do not cover chagning the oil out of the inner chamber, or the bleeding part. I have the DRZ manual. All dual chamber reference have been for USD forks.
Thoughts?
Is the RM250 front the same as an RMZ250? Did you have to fab up any parts (bushings) for the steering head?
Is the RMZ250 a better choice than the DRZ400?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #13885
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Is the RM250 front the same as an RMZ250? Did you have to fab up any parts (bushings) for the steering head?
Is the RMZ250 a better choice than the DRZ400?

It really depends on what years you are talking about. I can think of 5 different forks which were on the RM250 over different years. I know knowthing of the RMZ's I think you wanted USD forks which is not what I have. RM250 fork history of what I know. Early 90's they used some USD forks. Was told they were terrible. USB forks were cool. in 96-97 they had 49mm showa coventionals. Our are 43mm. Alot of places say these were dual chamber. But I think they were just single chamber or cartridge forks. I beelieve that these are the same as the DRZ400 forks. in 98 the used a dual chamber 49mm conventional. These are the ones I have. Picture of of the fork caps can be found here.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...=86066.new#new
99+ they used a USB dual chamber showa, the sliders were still 49mm. Later they dropped the sliders to 46mm(?).

The DRZ250 forks are the same as the 97-99 DR350 forks.

I swapped out my steering stem to make the swap happen. The good thing about using suzuki stuff is the the bottom press fit dimension of the steering stem seems to be the same on all their "dirt" bikes. You have to swap the stem and can not simple get bearings to make the RM triple/stem work for the DR. The OD/ID combo you woudl need not one that exist. However I recently learned that ALL Balls makes an adaptor kit, which they claim will make a RM stem work in a DR. Must have larger bearing races. . You have a dirt version which makes things a little easier as the indexing roll pin causes issue wtih the pressing of the stem.
Some info and pics on the steering stem/bearing swap
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...?topic=87152.0

"the bushing". I found that a 3/4 copper pipe coupler is almost the exact size needed to take up the extra space between the RM top triple and DR stem. I was going to shim the rest of the space with a sliver of beer can material. However I could not even get one wrap of beer can shim in there. I did slide a .25" sliver down length wise.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #13886
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
It really depends on what years you are talking about. I can think of 5 different forks which were on the RM250 over different years. I know knowthing of the RMZ's I think you wanted USD forks which is not what I have. RM250 fork history of what I know. Early 90's they used some USD forks. Was told they were terrible. USB forks were cool. in 96-97 they had 49mm showa coventionals. Our are 43mm. Alot of places say these were dual chamber. But I think they were just single chamber or cartridge forks. I beelieve that these are the same as the DRZ400 forks. in 98 the used a dual chamber 49mm conventional. These are the ones I have. Picture of of the fork caps can be found here.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...=86066.new#new
99+ they used a USB dual chamber showa, the sliders were still 49mm. Later they dropped the sliders to 46mm(?).

The DRZ250 forks are the same as the 97-99 DR350 forks.

I swapped out my steering stem to make the swap happen. The good thing about using suzuki stuff is the the bottom press fit dimension of the steering stem seems to be the same on all their "dirt" bikes. You have to swap the stem and can not simple get bearings to make the RM triple/stem work for the DR. The OD/ID combo you woudl need not one that exist. However I recently learned that ALL Balls makes an adaptor kit, which they claim will make a RM stem work in a DR. Must have larger bearing races. . You have a dirt version which makes things a little easier as the indexing roll pin causes issue wtih the pressing of the stem.
Some info and pics on the steering stem/bearing swap

"the bushing". I found that a 3/4 copper pipe coupler is almost the exact size needed to take up the extra space between the RM top triple and DR stem. I was going to shim the rest of the space with a sliver of beer can material. However I could not even get one wrap of beer can shim in there. I did slide a .25" sliver down length wise.

Sounds like its a bit more complicated than what I want to mess with right now.
I may end up buying one of those Husqvarna Terra 650's next year and keeping the DR350 the way it is now.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #13887
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Got the Acerbis tank installed...
they forgot to include the Y fitting for the fuel lines, but I was planning on replacing them anyways with some other line. I can't wait for that Shinko rear tire to wear out and get a real knobby back on there. That stupid $40 tire has 4k miles on it and just wont die.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #13888
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
I can't wait for that Shinko rear tire to wear out and get a real knobby back on there. That stupid $40 tire has 4k miles on it and just wont die.
wont be too long. when it starts to wear out, it goes fast
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #13889
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Got the Acerbis tank installed...
they forgot to include the Y fitting for the fuel lines, but I was planning on replacing them anyways with some other line. I can't wait for that Shinko rear tire to wear out and get a real knobby back on there. That stupid $40 tire has 4k miles on it and just wont die.

FWIW, and FYI, im in love with your bike..LOL sorry dood. I think i may have to replicate the look if im allowed. haha. The black on white looks awesome, and that giant CYCLOPS Light its bitchin man. Good job at maintaining and Creating an awesome looking bike!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #13890
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Subscribed.

1993 Suzuki DR350 / brand new pumper carb, and a shitty loud exhaust.

It really needs a better exhaust! It's very clean for 93.
My 91 has a Supertrapp IDS2 on it and it's WAY TOO loud for me. I picked up a stock muffler I plan on sending to Jesse at Kientech to have open it up.

Once I ever get the bike put back together that is.