Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #49936
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
I,m wondering if someone here can give me some help in Identifying this set of forks. I know they came off a Honda, I'm thinking a CR. I do not know what year. They came with a single disk front wheel.Where the top triple sits it is 62 or 61 mm.
They have what looks like a air valve on the top and what looks like 2 adjustment screws on the bottom of each fork leg. The top of the bottom triple stem (goes into the neck bearings) is 30 or 31 mm.
Picture of the forks and triple trees.

The top of the forks and triple tree

Bottom of the fork and what looks like adjustment screws

I am thinking of putting them on my 2003 Honda XR 650l. Anyone know if they will fit?

Thanks in advance for the help and if I posted in the wrong spot just move it. Please tell me where it got moved too. :)
Me thinks the screws on the bottom are mounting points for the fork guards.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #49937
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Aww man... now I have an itch to do the Shorai battery relocation on mine! Thanks a lot guys... I better be getting a winning lottery ticket for Christmas.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #49938
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Aww man... now I have an itch to do the Shorai battery relocation on mine! Thanks a lot guys... I better be getting a winning lottery ticket for Christmas.
After scanning/reading the following threads, I have become convinced the Antigravity batteries are superior in quality to the Shorai batteries.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934

In general, I believe the Antigravity batteries offer the same, or better power than the Shorai batteries at about the same price, but at 1/2 the size. The amp hour ratings of all LiFePO4 batteries are inflated, but it seems Shorai is particularly guilty in this regard. However, the most important rating for these LiFePO4 batteries is cranking power, and the Antigravity batteries easily surpass the Shorai batteries in cranking power for any given form factor (size).

In addition, the Antigravity batteries are lighter, have stronger cases, and possess much stronger battery terminals than the Shorai batteries. Finally, the Antigravity batteries are waterproof, and the Shorai batteries are not. Antigravity batteries have a 3-year warranty, while Shorai batteries have a 2-year warranty.

Here's a comparison of the Antigravity and Shorai batteries that are roughly equivalent in power to the stock, YTX9-BS battery. Both these batteries will fit on top of the XR650L air box under the bike’s saddle.

Antigravity 4-Cell Battery
Price: $110, delivered
150 Pulse CA, 120 CCA
4.25″ Long x 1.25″ Wide x 3.75″ Tall
Weight: 0.875 pounds (14 ounces)

Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 Battery
Price: $105, delivered
135 CCA
4.45" Long x 2.28" Wide x 3.50" Tall
Weight: 1.23 pounds (19.7 ounces)

Both these batteries have roughly equivalent power and price. However, the Antigravity battery is over 1-inch narrower, which will give it much more clearance with the saddle if located on top of the XR650L air box. I currently have a Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery installed, and it has ample cranking power for my unmodified engine. Therefore, I'm confident the Antigravity 4-Cell battery will also easily start a stock XR650L engine. Here are photographs of the two batteries.

Here’s a comparison of the Antigravity battery and the Shorai battery which offer much more cranking power for higher compression engines, cold weather starts, and greater cranking endurance. Both these batteries will fit on top of the XR650L air box under the bike’s saddle.

Antigravity 8-Cell Battery
Price: $170, delivered
300 Pulse CA, 240 CCA
4.25″ Long x 2.25″ Wide x 3.75″ Tall
Weight: 1.7 pounds (27.2 ounces)

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 Battery
Cost: $148, delivered
4.45" Long x 2.28" Wide x 3.50" Tall
210 CCA
Weight: 1.61 pounds (25.8 ounces)

The Antigravity battery costs a little more, but it cranks much harder, has a stronger case, has stronger battery terminals, and is waterproof. The Antigravity battery also has a better, longer warranty than the Shorai battery. Here are photographs of the two batteries.

If you wish to install a LiFePO4 battery in the stock battery box, instead of relocating the battery to the top of the air box, here are the two batteries to consider. The Antigravity battery is exactly the same size as the stock, YTX9-BS battery. However, the Shorai battery will need to be shimmed a bit with the foam supplied with the battery.

Antigravity YTZ10S-8 Battery
Cost: $180, delivered
240 CCA
Weight: 1.8 pounds (28.8 ounces)

Shorai LFX14A4-BS12 Battery
Cost: $148, delivered
210 CCA
Weight: 1.99 pounds (31.84 ounces), plus some foam

Once again, the Antigravity battery costs a little more, but it is lighter, cranks much harder, has a stronger case, has stronger battery terminals, and is waterproof. The Antigravity battery also has a better, longer warranty than the Shorai battery. Here are photographs of the two batteries.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:23 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #49939
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I know a few folks have posted their Lithium battery swap projects. At the IMS motorcycle show last weekend, I visited the Shorai booth and a few others. One company claimed their battery was better because it had it's own cell management system built-in - but it was more expensive. Another claimed it was cheaper because they used "matched cells" however the competitor claimed that wasn't enough to offset management.

All of the companies had limited form factors and universal battery terminal posts, each of their own design. I'm thinking the lighter weight battery in the stock spot would help save my subframe and lighten my load. No reason to try to go the extreme route of inside the airbox.

Comments?

RZ Rob
I thought about going lithium when my xrl needed a new battery, but I was able to pick up a quality agm battery and charger/maintainer both for a little over 80 bucks. The special chargers alone for a lithium battery cost more than that, then add in the 160 for the lithium battery itself, and the 4 lbs in weight I would have saved didn't seem so exciting
Plus I keep my bikes plugged into tenders whever they're parked, and get 10 or so years out of a lead acid battery.....I highly doubt the lithiums would last much, if any longer.........so no advantage there either. And I also need good cold starting, something lithiums struggle with unless you turn the lights on for a few minutes to warm them up first.
Honestly at this stage of the game, I think lithiums are just a "cool factor" mod more than anything else....at least they would be for me

With some more developement, and much lower pricing and cheaper/easier charging requirements, I think they're going to be the batteries of the future...........but that future aint here for me yet
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #49940
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I thought about going lithium when my xrl needed a new battery, but I was able to pick up a quality agm battery and charger/maintainer both for a little over 80 bucks. The special chargers alone for a lithium battery cost more than that, then add in the 160 for the lithium battery itself, and the 4 lbs in weight I would have saved didn't seem so exciting
Plus I keep my bikes plugged into tenders whever they're parked, and get 10 or so years out of a lead acid battery.....I highly doubt the lithiums would last much, if any longer.........so no advantage there either. And I also need good cold starting, something lithiums struggle with unless you turn the lights on for a few minutes to warm them up first.
Honestly at this stage of the game, I think lithiums are just a "cool factor" mod more than anything else....at least they would be for me

With some more developement, and much lower pricing and cheaper/easier charging requirements, I think they're going to be the batteries of the future...........but that future aint here for me yet
Indeed, if you aren't concerned about the weight, the lead-acid batteries last a very long time and cost significantly less. However, since the self-discharge of the LiFePO4 batteries is only 1/6 of lead-acid batteries, you don't need to buy a special charger for them, unless the battery is going to sit idle for more than a year, or the bike has parasitic battery draining, which the XR650L doesn't. I have never needed to charge my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery in almost two years. At its website, Antigravity advises you won't need to trickle charge their batteries, except under special circumstances.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=510

"Does this battery require trickle charging?

The battery is Maintenance Free and can hold a charge for up to a year PROVIDED the bike/vehicle does not have a PARASITIC DRAIN or accessory taking the energy….IF your vehicles charging system is in good working order and you do not have any “parasitic drains” on the bike you should not have to charge this battery rarely if ever."

Therefore, the price difference between my Shorai battery and an equivalent, Yuasu, lead-acid battery was $40. I was very happy to spend $40 in order to shed over 9 pounds of highly placed weight from the rear of my XR650L.

If one does wish to purchase a special charger, the Antigravity chargers are sold at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $49.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...attery-Charger

Also, my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery easily cranks my bike's engine at 32 degrees Fahrenheit; I don't need to turn on the lights, or perform any other special procedure. I don't ride when the temperatures are below freezing. However, I'm sure the LiFePO4 batteries with 210 CCA will easily start the XR650L at subfreezing temperatures, since the stock, lead-acid battery only produces 135 CCA.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 12:04 AM
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #49941
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Indeed, if you aren't concerned about the weight, the lead-acid batteries last a very long time and cost significantly less. However, since the self-discharge of the LiFePO4 batteries is only 1/6 of lead-acid batteries, you don't need to buy a special charger for them, unless the battery is going to sit idle for more than a year, or the bike has parasitic battery draining, which the XR650L doesn't. I have never needed to charge my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery in almost two years. At its website, Antigravity advises you won't need to trickle charge their batteries, except under special circumstances.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=510

"Does this battery require trickle charging?

The battery is Maintenance Free and can hold a charge for up to a year PROVIDED the bike/vehicle does not have a PARASITIC DRAIN or accessory taking the energy….IF your vehicles charging system is in good working order and you do not have any “parasitic drains” on the bike you should not have to charge this battery rarely if ever."

Therefore, the price difference between my Shorai battery and an equivalent, Yuasu, lead-acid battery was $40. I was very happy to spend $40 in order to shed over 9 pounds of highly placed weight from the rear of my XR650L.

If one does wish to purchase a special charger, the Antigravity chargers are sold at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $49.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...attery-Charger

Also, my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery easily cranks my bike's engine at 32 degrees Fahrenheit; I don't need to turn on the lights, or perform any other special procedure. I don't ride when the temperatures are below freezing. However, I'm sure the LiFePO4 batteries with 210 CCA will easily start the XR650L at subfreezing temperatures, since the stock, lead-acid battery only produces 135 CCA.

Spud
As usual Spud, you make some very good points I didn't read ahead before I posted, so I didn't see all your info.......for your application, removing the battery box and relocating the battery, the lithium was well worth it ....nice work and great documentation for us by the way as well

Personally I'm too lazy to do the whole battery relocation, so the lithium would go in the stock location. When my current battery (which I just put in) eventually dies, I imagine the lithiums will be MUCH cheaper and more advanced than now.....so thats what I'll probably run
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #49942
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Those forms look like older male slider (inverted/upside down) unit. Measure the diameter of the tubes. That will be a big clue in determinig their vintige.
I mis-measured, the top of the tube (that sides into the top clamp) is 50 mm.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #49943
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
I mis-measured, the top of the tube (that sides into the top clamp) is 50 mm.
It's more important to measure the sliding portion, that's what is used to determine the vintage. It most definitely is from the late 80's to mid 90's.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #49944
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Those forms look like older male slider (inverted/upside down) unit. Measure the diameter of the tubes. That will be a big clue in determinig their vintige.
If they are a Honda take-off, I would guess 1990 or older. I have USD forks from a 1991 CR250R on my XRL and the front axle is clamped on both the left and right legs. Yours looks like it is threaded on one side and clamped on the other.

Be warned, the pinch bolts on your top clamp are facing the rear of the bike, so if you are running a bigger tank, I will bet that the bolts will hit your tank. The newer CRF and CR forks have the pinch bolts coming in from the side or the front which is just enough clearance to work with a big Acerbis tank.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #49945
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,381
my hat is off to Spud

Spud old buddy old pal, that is an asume write up on the batteries available to the XR650L owners. Crammed packed with information, and very complete information I might add . Thanks!

Is there a way to bookmark post like yours for quick reference later?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #49946
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
i was kinda trying to start something like that. haven't gotten very far, but would like to have a site just great info gleaned from this thread.the search engine on this forum sux, and when i think "oh yeah, i read that somewhere on the xr owners link" and try to find it, it's a biznatch... so, someday i'll add the stuff on this that i started xrlinks.com. feel free to feed me info. there's no advertising on it, or affiliate links or anything funky. just a place that i wanted to keep handy links...
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #49947
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
i was kinda trying to start something like that. haven't gotten very far, but would like to have a site just great info gleaned from this thread.the search engine on this forum sux, and when i think "oh yeah, i read that somewhere on the xr owners link" and try to find it, it's a biznatch... so, someday i'll add the stuff on this that i started xrlinks.com. feel free to feed me info. there's no advertising on it, or affiliate links or anything funky. just a place that i wanted to keep handy links...

I think that's a great idea. So far I've just been scribbling product names, mod ideas, etc down on a piece of paper... not very "21st Century" of me. I found this webpage in some of my research... Most of the links still work on it and it has helped me develop a base of knowledge. You may already be aware of it...

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2038.0

Spud... I too commend you for your writeup and research. The battery relocation interests me and is on my to-do list whenever the need for a new battery presents itself.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #49948
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Spud old buddy old pal, that is an asume write up on the batteries available to the XR650L owners. Crammed packed with information, and very complete information I might add . Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
I think that's a great idea. So far I've just been scribbling product names, mod ideas, etc down on a piece of paper... not very "21st Century" of me. I found this webpage in some of my research... Most of the links still work on it and it has helped me develop a base of knowledge. You may already be aware of it...

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2038.0

Spud... I too commend you for your writeup and research. The battery relocation interests me and is on my to-do list whenever the need for a new battery presents itself.
If you want to bookmark a single post you can click on the post number(on the top right of each post). It will display that one post in another tab, then bookmark it where you want it.
Go to bookmarks, find that one, right click, properties, and change the name to what you want(eg: Spuds awesome battery relocation, USD fork swap, etc.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #49949
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud old buddy old pal, that is an asume write up on the batteries available to the XR650L owners. Crammed packed with information, and very complete information I might add . Thanks!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
...Spud... I too commend you for your writeup and research. The battery relocation interests me and is on my to-do list whenever the need for a new battery presents itself.
Thank you, gentlemen.

I think Adventure riders should also consider the following information. The Antigravity 4-Cell battery is so small and lightweight it could easily be carried as a backup battery in remote locations. In fact, this battery costs less than a new, spare CDI unit, and is approximately the same size and weight. LiFePO4 batteries have a very low self-discharge rate, so the Antigravity 4-Cell battery will hold its charge for at least a year.

However, if you carry this LiFePO4 battery as a spare, be very careful not to let the battery terminals short circuit. Lithium batteries discharge at huge rates, producing enough heat to weld steel! Fortunately, the Antigravity batteries come equipped with strong, low-profile terminals and insulated, tool-less, terminal bolts.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 10:37 AM
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #49950
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Hmm... I might have to start scrounging my pennies together for a 8-cell battery now. I was going to try and buy tires in the next few months, which might be more important at this point. Maybe I'll get tires for my birthday in February. lol
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote