Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #26521
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
Question Sram xx1

Several of my riding buddies are trying to convince me I need one of these for my 29er. I'll admit it looks cool and all, but what would be the practical benefit to me? The entire system reportedly retails for $1,500, which is hardly pocket money.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-xx...peed-2013.html

I can see some sense in buying it if I were building a 29er from scratch, but I've already got a perfectly good set of gears, cranks, chain, derailleur, etc. Why replace all that hardware?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #26522
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Several of my riding buddies are trying to convince me I need one of these for my 29er. I'll admit it looks cool and all, but what would be the practical benefit to me? The entire system reportedly retails for $1,500, which is hardly pocket money.

I can see some sense in buying it if I were building a 29er from scratch, but I've already got a perfectly good set of gears, cranks, chain, derailleur, etc. Why replace all that hardware?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This would be like your riding bud insisting you replace all the farkles on your moto with Touratrinket stuff.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #26523
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Speaking of flowy trails...
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe...mpaign=fb_like
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #26524
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,422
Quote:

I mean really! How can you expect to win all those strava races with only 9-10 gears in the back? ALL that extra weight?! Geez, just think how much faster you'd go if you didn't have to worry about all those extra grams, all that extra time spent shifting the front and shit.

Yup. You definitely NEED XX1. You ain't shit if you ain't going to 11!

M
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #26525
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This would be like your riding bud insisting you replace all the farkles on your moto with Touratrinket stuff.
Well, I would consider it if it resulted in a very noticeable performance increase (it had better, for $1,500!), but I've seen nothing to suggest that it will.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #26526
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I mean really! How can you expect to win all those strava races with only 9-10 gears in the back?
Truth is, that was my ONLY reason for wanting it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #26527
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Truth is, that was my ONLY reason for wanting it.
There's an interesting article on Strava in the January, 2013 edition of Outdoor Yuppie Lifestyle (Outside) magazine.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #26528
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:

Because it is cool.
That is the ONLY reason to replace a perfectly good drive train with XX1. Building from scratch is a different matter.

I have a sneaking suspicion you have already made up your mind though....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #26529
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
There's an interesting article on Strava in the January, 2013 edition of Outdoor Yuppie Lifestyle (Outside) magazine.
While you're sitting in that Starbucks, tell my friend, Adam, I said "Hi!".
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #26530
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Because it is cool.
That is the ONLY reason to replace a perfectly good drive train with XX1. Building from scratch is a different matter.

I have a sneaking suspicion you have already made up your mind though....
If it won't improve my standings on the Strava leader boards, I'm gonna pass on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #26531
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
If it won't improve my standings on the Strava leader boards, I'm gonna pass on it.
I hear it comes with a larger, much improved Big Dick

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #26532
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,226
Seems like lots of money to (very) marginally improve the ride.

Something like a telescoping seat post, on the other hand, would seem to be a more worthwhile investment. Haven't bought one yet though, because I'm cheap.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #26533
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I hear it comes with a larger, much improved Big Dick
Big dick = more weight = slower Strava times.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #26534
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh

A local rider I know just posted this on his Facebook page:

"I cleared the trail of storm debris on the few couple laps, then was doing a lap for time (and KILLING it) when a tree fell across the trail right in front of me! I slammed on the brakes, but was going too fast to stop. I hit the tree and launched over the bars. I'm so bummed, I was 3/4 of the way through and I know I had the KOM in the bag. Also, my bib shorts ripped wide open, and all my bits and pieces were flapping in the wind. There was nothing I could do to hide it, either! I did the Gravity Destroyed climb KOM with my dick quite literally flapping in the wind. :/ Be careful, the tree is still across the trail, I could not move it."

Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #26535
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Big dick = more weight = slower Strava times.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: