Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #256
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Good question!

For me, up to a point, it's about the "underdogness" factor I like it better when people do well and they are coming from smaller/poorer/less powerful nations. Note that in terms of Dakar, a less powerful nation could mean the mighty US of A. It was much harder for an american moto privateer to race the African Dakar than it was for, say, a Dutch one. (not so sure of that nowadays, with El Dakaro, and definitely not the case about Mr Gordon with his mega-dollar operation).

What is very funny about Gordon is that he accepts to race his trucks on a race with very strict regulations (that keep his truck topology limited). But anyway the guy accepts the rules, announces every year that he is going to kick ass (under the said rules) and every year he goes back home getting his ass kicked by the sewing machines. But I do like to see him in the race - just don't like the US vs Them attitude. YMMV
For me the Dakar is about a true global event of man (and woman) and machine.

Nationality seems to have very little to do with it; favourites yes, both riders, teams and machines, but it does seem to transcend country of origin to a great extent.

Must admit though, the brash loud mouth Yank in the bright red gas guzzling V8 Hummer does tend to nationalise the greatest race on earth just a little

Wouldn't quite be the same without him though
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #257
gbranham
Double eye

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
By the look of that crashed nav tower, I would say probably not
A preemptive thanks to all you guys with the rallie info fire hoses. It's gonna be a great event here on this site!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #258
Ferrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
woudn't you notice that big orange monster is behind you???.

For the audience, nationality is important. If you are dutch, german, english.......of course it isn't. If you are french or spanish and lately, portuguese, it does matter. Another thing is the other dakar, in which is just man and machine.
Of course, north americans believe they have a chance because they won motocross of nations and Baja1000.

By the way, Africa Race seems to be picking up and making finally a nice starting grid. Perhaps some people start to get tired.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #259
Nomadador

Oddometer: 22
Gordon might almost hit riders, but Peterhansel actually hits riders.
Gordon certainly has his loose cannon moments, but at least he brings energy and personality and a clear enthusiasm for racing hard, because really, at the heart of it, everyone there is ultra competitive, and charges hard, he just makes it more visible...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #260
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,054
Difference is Peterhasel went out and found the rider at the end of the stage and apologized, then went to officials to get some time back for the rider...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #261
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,562
I find it hard to believe people knocking the heros of the Dakar. The mini isn't a "mini" its just a body on a custom race car...everyone needs a sponsor. It is a 14+ day race and reliability is as big a factor as performance. The guy who wins did it right, the guy who shows up with a badass car that can't finish did it wrong...plain and simple. Speed, power and performance are only one factor in the Dakar. This separates the Dakar from races like the baja races and other shorter rallies (amongst other things like chasing silly waypoints, etc ).

I enjoy Robby as much as the next guy, he is entertaining and good in that he brings more interest in the race for North Americans. I've never quite understodd the US mentality of us versus them... These people aren't racing to represent their country (although having a country sponsor some competitors is a very cool idea, better than handing out money to people who are too lazy to work )..

Just my two cents...23 days until go time

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #262
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Difference is Peterhasel went out and found the rider at the end of the stage and apologized, then went to officials to get some time back for the rider...
And we know Gordon wouldn't do this because he's hit a rider and failed to take action?

Oh wait... Close doesn't count. miss by an inch miss by a mile doesn't matter.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #263
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,188
Death Valley Ride
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #264
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
And we know Gordon wouldn't do this because he's hit a rider and failed to take action?

Oh wait... Close doesn't count. miss by an inch miss by a mile doesn't matter.
I guess we will find out very soon.

But I'm guessing he will blame to organization for placing the bike/spectators in his way to slow him down...

But in all honesty I couldn't give a toss what happens to RG, as long as he doesn't hurt anyone else, because in January my attention will be on the bikes and the cars will be a minor distraction.

After all, the cars are only there to give the bike riders something to do when they get to old to race a bike competitively.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #265
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Changing the subject.....

Jordi Viladoms Dakar 2013 Presentation

Today in Barcelona, Bordone-Ferrari refugee, Jordi Viladoms presented his team structure for attacking the 2013 Dakar rally. Pulled together in the eleventh hour, Viladoms gathered the support of BMW Barcelona to secure a Husqvarna TE499RR from Speedbrain and a support package through Tamarugal XC out of Chile who provides the support and logistics for a number of competitors including Chaleco Lopez and Daniel Gouet.

The big news emerging from today’s presentation is the continuation in a sporting manager role for fellow Bordone-Ferrari refugee, Jordi Arcarons. Arcarons continues his strong support and guidance of Viladoms as the pair of Jordi’s try to keep the 2012 momentum going. 2012 was a banner year for Viladoms finishing fourth in the Dakar Rally and winning the Sardegna Rally on his way to second in the FIM Cross Country Rallies World Championship standings a mere six points behind champion and fellow Spaniard, Marc Coma.

Jordi Viladoms flanked by his mechanic, David Palmada and manage, Jordi Arcarons

The Husqvarna TE499RR

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #266
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I find it hard to believe people knocking the heros of the Dakar. The mini isn't a "mini" its just a body on a custom race car...everyone needs a sponsor. It is a 14+ day race and reliability is as big a factor as performance. The guy who wins did it right, the guy who shows up with a badass car that can't finish did it wrong...plain and simple. Speed, power and performance are only one factor in the Dakar. This separates the Dakar from races like the baja races and other shorter rallies (amongst other things like chasing silly waypoints, etc ).

I enjoy Robby as much as the next guy, he is entertaining and good in that he brings more interest in the race for North Americans. I've never quite understodd the US mentality of us versus them... These people aren't racing to represent their country (although having a country sponsor some competitors is a very cool idea, better than handing out money to people who are too lazy to work )..

Just my two cents...23 days until go time
The "US vs Them" is our culture. Look at the NFL Football. We are as hard on ourselves as anyone. It makes for sales and sales make for money to pay people to race. I know some do it for free, hell a lot of participants pay for the chance to participate. I have contributed to several racers to give them the money to play.

It is a show and shows cost money, some people make money on this show, at least the winners probably do. All the more fun to follow and generate interest and interest generates money.

The ASO has figured this out, the beverage companies have figured it out, and if Peterhansel thinks he is above that, I do believe he is delusional.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #267
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,188
I don't know if this actually a reflection of something meaningful (don't know how meaningful/accurate Google analytics are), but it's kind of interesting to look at who is watching that Robby Gordon video. Viewers in Mexico have more views than those in the U.S.

Death Valley Ride
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #268
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrboy View Post
The "US vs Them" is our culture. **snip**
Maybe that's your culture, not mine. At least not in racing. I root for and support the guys I like, regardless of their country of origin.

The rest of 'em are just a bunch of tossers.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #269
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I guess we will find out very soon.

But I'm guessing he will blame to organization for placing the bike/spectators in his way to slow him down...

But in all honesty I couldn't give a toss what happens to RG, as long as he doesn't hurt anyone else, because in January my attention will be on the bikes and the cars will be a minor distraction.

After all, the cars are only there to give the bike riders something to do when they get to old to race a bike competitively.
If you're only watching the bikes, you're missing half the race.

Make that 2/3s if you include the trucks.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #270
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
If you're only watching the bikes, you're missing half the race.

Make that 2/3s if you include the trucks.

I do.

Closed Thread