ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #26536
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I hear it comes with a larger, much improved Big Dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Big dick = more weight = slower Strava times.
i'd guess some Stravadiots would consider that an even better excuse for not holding a KOM than not having this years newest coolest parts.
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #26537
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i'd guess some Stravadiots would consider that an even better excuse for not holding a KOM than not having this years newest coolest parts.
I'm not one of those, but I think my parts have been the coolest since I figured out what you can do with em.



You may disagree, but *I* know *the truth.*



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #26538
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If it won't improve my standings on the Strava leader boards, I'm gonna pass on it.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #26539
McDuff
Gnarly Adventurer
 
McDuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RI + OH
Oddometer: 186
Here's a quick clip from my local trail - http://youtu.be/34rJsAV5Eik?t=8s
__________________
99 KLX 300
00 YZ 125


McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #26540
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Here's a quick clip from my local trail - http://youtu.be/34rJsAV5Eik?t=8s
arrrrgh! fix them squeaky brakes!!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #26541
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 865
A thousand pardons if this is 205.


__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #26542
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,831
One huge plus to riding at night: you can't tell how steep the hills you're climbing are so you just go up em



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #26543
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,854
Cat says, "Screw Strava, get me some tuna!"
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #26544
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
One huge plus to riding at night: you can't tell how steep the hills you're climbing are so you just go up em



M
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #26545
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #26546
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #26547
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M


My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #26548
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #26549
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post


My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #26550
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
analytic cycling.com

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014