Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #26432
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
One huge plus to riding at night: you can't tell how steep the hills you're climbing are so you just go up em

M
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #26433
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #26434
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #26435
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M

My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #26436
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:

M
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #26437
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #26438
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
analytic cycling.com

M
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #26439
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #26440
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
Give me a nice sprint or the banking on the track and I'm a happy camper. Hills? 4-letter word.

M
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #26441
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

....and he passes me again in the biking portion.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #26442
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

....and he passes me again in the biking portion.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #26443
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.
I was on a climb last summer and some old fart who looks just like you passed me like I was going backwards. Every time you post a pic of yourself (which happens a lot in this thread), I have bad flashbacks.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #26444
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
I ride regularly with guys in their 60's, who leave me for dead on climbs... It probably helps that they weigh 150, and I'm 175. Not much I can do but pace myself. It evens out a bit on the flats!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #26445
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

M

I hate that. The other week I was killing myself to keep up to a couple of the hardcore. The bastards were chatting about movies they've seen while I saw colours through crossed eyes.

Between gasps I told them to have some respect to those who are suffering.....They laughed and dropped me.

Bastards
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: