ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 515 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #26431
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,834
Cat says, "Screw Strava, get me some tuna!"
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #26432
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
One huge plus to riding at night: you can't tell how steep the hills you're climbing are so you just go up em



M
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #26433
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Went up a several climbs much faster during a predawn ride, just the cone of light in front, wisps of water condensing out of the fog on my face and glasses. Kept changing gears and spinning. Thoughts not on how long or steep the hill was.
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #26434
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think "thoughts" are why many cyclists hate climbing and sometimes fail to make it to the top. My GF and MTB partner absolutely hate climbs, whether it be on the trail or road. I embrace and conquer them. I love it!
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #26435
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M


My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #26436
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
for me its less 'thoughts' than 'I can't keep up with the skinny SOBs.' I ride/rode with some 130-pounders. At 165 (+) it takes me darn near 2.5x their wattage to get up the hill at the same speed. I can do it, but it takes it out of me VERY quickly.

M
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #26437
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post


My GF is 125lbs, but, a girl that doesn't ride as much as I. And, my MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs. You need different riding partners that'll make you feel better.
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #26438
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How do you calculate wattage? It would be interesting to know how much energy I'd save if I lost 10 lbs.
analytic cycling.com

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #26439
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #26440
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
Give me a nice sprint or the banking on the track and I'm a happy camper. Hills? 4-letter word.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #26441
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

....and he passes me again in the biking portion.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #26442
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,834
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

....and he passes me again in the biking portion.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #26443
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.
I was on a climb last summer and some old fart who looks just like you passed me like I was going backwards. Every time you post a pic of yourself (which happens a lot in this thread), I have bad flashbacks.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #26444
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
I ride regularly with guys in their 60's, who leave me for dead on climbs... It probably helps that they weigh 150, and I'm 175. Not much I can do but pace myself. It evens out a bit on the flats!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #26445
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M

I hate that. The other week I was killing myself to keep up to a couple of the hardcore. The bastards were chatting about movies they've seen while I saw colours through crossed eyes.

Between gasps I told them to have some respect to those who are suffering.....They laughed and dropped me.

Bastards
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015