Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #1456
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I own the same rack (not installed yet) and will be purchasing a Rotopax before spring. Which size of of Rotopax did you buy? I'm leaning toward the new 1.75US/gl unit. According to something I read, you can put in a full 2 US/gl into it. Which is 7.5l = FULL tank of gas for the CRFL! It's also only slight longer than the 1gl unit (same thickness).
I have the 1 gallon. I'm expecting to pick up an IMS tank on the new year too so I didn't wanna go too big in the rear, as it were.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #1457
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
I have the 1 gallon. I'm expecting to pick up an IMS tank on the new year too so I didn't wanna go too big in the rear, as it were.
Ya, I'm a fan of small rears as well.

This bike cries out for a larger tank.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #1458
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Under braking the fuel pump could suck air and stall. My DL650 does it with 2 gallons or lessin the tank. I consider it a low fuel warning feature.
possibly....but still does it with a full tank. Kind of at a "Stand-Still" with this issue for now, weather is getting a bit chilly for riding, get the odd BONUS day here and there. As reading threw that CBR Thread, many factors can come into play. Fortunately we own 2 250L,s, So, when one has issues and the other doesn't (both bikes run in the same climate/fuel/fuel stabilizers/still stock ...e.t.c ) it allows me to rule out alot of possibilities and leads me to believe it's an isolated issue with just that bike. One runs fantastic (or as it should) and the other has this silly little stalling issue.
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #1459
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
This whole fuel sloshing/pump sucking air scenario is VERY scary. Ages ago when developing EFI for cars and emissions, the fuel pump vendors were very adamant to NEVER let the pump run dry under any conditions, as a few seconds of dry operation would cause the pump to overheat, burn, and sieze/fail. The WR250R EFI Yamaha has fuel pump issues....and fails them after 20 to 30,000 miles...and this pump is made in china, and is used by a HUGE number of bikes, ATV, etc. I sure hope the issue these Hondas have is not the same as the Yamaha. The Yamaha, for what it's worth, didn't act like this. It would just quit in hot weather...and after a cool down would run for a while, but not for very long or very often...the $200 for a new pump fixed it!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #1460
Bob80
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
This whole fuel sloshing/pump sucking air scenario is VERY scary. Ages ago when developing EFI for cars and emissions, the fuel pump vendors were very adamant to NEVER let the pump run dry under any conditions, as a few seconds of dry operation would cause the pump to overheat, burn, and sieze/fail. The WR250R EFI Yamaha has fuel pump issues....and fails them after 20 to 30,000 miles...and this pump is made in china, and is used by a HUGE number of bikes, ATV, etc. I sure hope the issue these Hondas have is not the same as the Yamaha. The Yamaha, for what it's worth, didn't act like this. It would just quit in hot weather...and after a cool down would run for a while, but not for very long or very often...the $200 for a new pump fixed it!!
scary indeed! especially considering where the tank/pump is located on a motorcycle in relation to the rider if it decided to erupt into flames...I like my nuts not roasted....lol
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #1461
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Anyone having any issues with their 250L's stalling for no apparent reason? I got about 800km on mine now, most of my drives this far have been mainly 30-40km's at a time,pretty much all pavement/dirt roads accessible by cars, and it will usually stall or quit at least once each outing. Mostly when stopped or slowing down to stop and once today while I was cruising along at about 50km/h, it just quit almost as if ya hit the kill switch. The bike will fire right back up no problem, just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue. I am about 99% positive it ain't my driving skills, as the wife's 250L doesn't have this issue (according to her, and I haven't noticed it the little i drove it either) May have to bring it up with the mechanic's at the dealer when it goes in for its 1st service, which I'm quite sure they will likely blame me also...lol
The older BMW F650's single sparks from 01-04 suffered the same kind of stalling. Which was a result of lean fueling around idle speed area and cured with a fuel controller of some type.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #1462
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I would sure hope that the manufacturers learned from there past mistakes.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #1463
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
I hear ya about the Q4 but an option I thought of was to just get the powercore 4 setup like I did then if it is too loud or I want to tone it down a bit I can always buy the powercore 4 quiet insert for 35 bucks and from what I read it does decrease the power a bit because it effects the flow, but is "supposed to" sound like the Q4. plus it gives you the option to run it either way. Still researching about this to see if it is worth it. Just throwing that thought out there. but I know the powercore 4 is on back order for a while so if you want the kit sooner rather than later the Q4 might be the way to go.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Arrestor.aspx
I did not know about the insert, I guess they make something for everything! I like that idea, not a big loud pipe fan. If you go that route keep us posted, I would like to hear what you think/find with your butt dyno. Thanks
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #1464
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
scary indeed! especially considering where the tank/pump is located on a motorcycle in relation to the rider if it decided to erupt into flames...I like my nuts not roasted....lol
Well, I don't think there is any worry of flames....but if the Honda fails like the Yamaha, you can be marooned in the middle of frikkin' nowhere!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #1465
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
Yea, did the SpeedoDRD on my bike after I installed a 13T front sprocket. It was about 10.3% off with the 13T. Seems to be spot on with my gps unit now.
I also installed the 12 O'clock Labs Speedo DRD on mine using -10.3% as a correction with the 13T sprocket. I just haven't been on it enough since the weathers gotten cold to check it against the gps to see how close I got.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1466
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
:) deal :)beer :) evil. GAY!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #1467
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
BDSB's FMF exhausts

For you folks that have installed the FMF exhaust from Best Dual Sport Bikes, what does the ceramic coating that they say is only available through them look like..... as in does it look professionally applied? Does it serve any real purpose on this bike? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$ because FMF headers and mufflers are available elsewhere for less with free shipping. Are BDSB's FMF products any better than standard FMF stuff for the money?
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #1468
Bob80
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcs90 View Post
The older BMW F650's single sparks from 01-04 suffered the same kind of stalling. Which was a result of lean fueling around idle speed area and cured with a fuel controller of some type.
good to know, Thanks....As I mentioned a few pages back, I do plan on getting the performance kit in the future for all the good reasons ppl here seem to be having with them. However, I'd like to get the stalling issue solved while the bike is still under the manufacturer's warranty in case the fuel controller doesn't solve the problem. I guess my main question is: Does adding the fuel controllers/ exhausts, e.t.c void the manufacturer's warranty? First new vehicle I owned that actually has warranty. This is a great thread on the 250L, great seeing ppl's ideas,mod's, reviews...etc,
Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1469
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
New LRP

Just rode mine home, nearly 12 weeks after leaving the deposit to make sure I got the next one, 18 miles on it. First thing tomorrow attach the wiring to the battery for the heated gear, not so much fun this afternoon, 37 degrees when I went by the bank. LRP seems like it could do ANYTHING...air down the tires for the Dakar, then swap out the rear sprocket for a 21 tooth to bring it to Bonneville. Just air the tires back up, probably do in excess of 500 mph. Have to use a tire pressure gauge from 1987, if you know what I mean.
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #1470
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
hI

Quote:
good to know, Thanks....As I mentioned a few pages back, I do plan on getting the performance kit in the future for all the good reasons ppl here seem to be having with them. However, I'd like to get the stalling issue solved while the bike is still under the manufacturer's warranty in case the fuel controller doesn't solve the problem. I guess my main question is: Does adding the fuel controllers/ exhausts, e.t.c void the manufacturer's warranty? First new vehicle I owned that actually has warranty. This is a great thread on the 250L, great seeing ppl's ideas,mod's, reviews...etc,
Ive asked the same ? Bob80 from the owner of my Honda shop, my salesman and the service guys. The service guys where I work said the put power commanders on brand new atvs and street bikes then slap them on the dyno before it leaves the showroom! Still under warranty