Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #796
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Schizz...you have been holding out
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #797
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 834
Tailgaters BBQ

Located on the North side of 380 and Oak Grove Ln. They have a smoker on a trailer and a food trailer, but it's damn fine food.
I had the brisket because he'd just pulled a new one off the smoker. The rub was amazing.
I sampled the jalapeno & cheese sausage, nice and juicy. I'll be getting that next time.

This is where they were today - not sure if they are always there or what: 33.224537,-96.976676

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #798
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Dukes BBQ in Star...Well...lets just say they were friendly and it was ok...Not sure just what this guy does well yet but it is edible in the middle of nowhere Only had Chopped beef sandwich on the fly so will have to check again on another trip...I will pushing the Quest further west as I look for new RTB4 routes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #799
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 251
First visit to Kreuz BBQ

Went to lldave's RTE on Saturday in Lockhart for my first visit to Kreuz BBQ. I had one sausage link, 1/4 lb of brisket, and two pork ribs. Sausage was a different taste, not bad but different. Ribs were ok but I've had better. The brisket was very tender and pull apart good. No sauce needed. Now, I have to go back and try the rest of the places in Lockhart.
AMA Life Member
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #800
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,070
I ate at Rumps BBQ outside of Palestine, TX the other day. I had ribs and for the price they were hard to beat. $8 got me a nice lunch portion. They were juicy and tender but would have been better if more sauce had been brushed on while they were cooking. The sides were okay but I wouldn't get their potato salad again.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #801
jhansen
Harley Rider

City Market, Giddings

Well, now that I've joined the fun, I'd better post up. Road trip yesterday (OFO) thru south central Texas and stopped for lunch in Giddings at City Market. I'd never stopped on the way to Austin so "why not". Had the "three meat plate" Brisket, pork ribs, and a sausage. Brisket was very good with good smoke flavor, the pork ribs were, in my humble opinion, to die for, and the sausage, well, lets just say different. Maybe the sausage could have stayed on the pit a bit longer but still enjoyable. For the purists here, the sause was on the side but not necessary for any of the meats. But in the interest of science (or taking one for the team), I did try it with the brisket on the bread. MMMMM good. Now, if they just offered a Lazy-boy for the after lunch food coma..........

AMA Life Member
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #802
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Well, now that I've joined the fun, I'd better post up. Road trip yesterday (OFO) thru south central Texas and stopped for lunch in Giddings at City Market. I'd never stopped on the way to Austin so "why not". Had the "three meat plate" Brisket, pork ribs, and a sausage. Brisket was very good with good smoke flavor, the pork ribs were, in my humble opinion, to die for, and the sausage, well, lets just say different. Maybe the sausage could have stayed on the pit a bit longer but still enjoyable. For the purists here, the sause was on the side but not necessary for any of the meats. But in the interest of science (or taking one for the team), I did try it with the brisket on the bread. MMMMM good. Now, if they just offered a Lazy-boy for the after lunch food coma..........

Interesting spot...first I heard of this one...I s the relating to the other City Market?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #803
jhansen
Harley Rider

It's on the northwest corner of 290 and 77. There's another City Market? I have no clue. This is a nice old meat market. Retail butcher shop in the front and BBQ in the back.
AMA Life Member
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #804
Grandmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
LA Barbecue(Formerly JMuelers)

About a month ago I headed down S 1st here in Austin to get me some JMueller BBQ. When I rolled up, and much to my dismay, he was closed. Went and got a burger over at Hopdoddys instead and got on the interweb to find out what happened to Jmuellers. The story on the internet goes, LeeAnn Mueller, John's sister, is the money woman behind his business and I guess he has pissed her off one too many times and he is out. Replacing him is a pitmaster from Franklin's and they will reopen in a few days.

Being of the belief that Franklin's has some of the finest que (pork ribs anyway) I have ever had, I am hopeful.

So I make the trip back down S 1st to the trailer now known as LA Barbecue. Huh? is this now Los Angeles bbq? Mexican BBQ? No it is LeeAnn Barbecue...ok that makes more sense. I roll up at about 10:45 to beat the crowd and I am the 3rd in line. Get to the counter and order bit of it all:

some pork ribs, brisket, beef rib and half a ring of sausage. Everything is a little bit on the cold side for some reason but the taste is there.

Pork ribs: 8-8.5 - They are a little cold and they gave me the little end ones.but the rub likely identical to Franklins.
Beef Rib: 8.5 - Again a little cold...but still better than most. The rub is similar to what John used.
Brisket: 8.5 - Brisket was also a little cold. the rub is similar to Franklins. I prefered John's brisket though.
Sausage: 8 - the sausage is pretty tasty but they only have a spicy version. it is a courser grind and a little greasy...but quite yummy.

Went back a few weeks later and this time the food was hot and so the ratings are better. Got there at about 10:50 this time and was 4th in line:

pork ribs: 9.5 - in a taste test I am not sure if I would be able to tell these apart from Franklins.
Beef Rib: 9.5 - as good of a beef rib as I have ever had.
sausage: 8.5 - a little better now that it was warm. but I think I a prefer Franklins.

Summary - This is some fine que. The pork ribs and brisket are on par with Franklins with the added bonus of having beef ribs and a much shorter wait in line. People do start showing up at 11 and the serving line is really slow so the line gets long in a hurry. By 11:30 the line is probably 30+ deep and at there serving pace about an hour +.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #805
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
About a month ago I headed down S 1st here in Austin to get me some JMueller BBQ. When I rolled up, and much to my dismay, he was closed. Went and got a burger over at Hopdoddys instead and got on the interweb to find out what happened to Jmuellers. The story on the internet goes, LeeAnn Mueller, John's sister, is the money woman behind his business and I guess he has pissed her off one too many times and he is out. Replacing him is a pitmaster from Franklin's and they will reopen in a few days.

Being of the belief that Franklin's has some of the finest que (pork ribs anyway) I have ever had, I am hopeful.

So I make the trip back down S 1st to the trailer now known as LA Barbecue. Huh? is this now Los Angeles bbq? Mexican BBQ? No it is LeeAnn Barbecue...ok that makes more sense. I roll up at about 10:45 to beat the crowd and I am the 3rd in line. Get to the counter and order bit of it all:

some pork ribs, brisket, beef rib and half a ring of sausage. Everything is a little bit on the cold side for some reason but the taste is there.

Pork ribs: 8-8.5 - They are a little cold and they gave me the little end ones.but the rub likely identical to Franklins.
Beef Rib: 8.5 - Again a little cold...but still better than most. The rub is similar to what John used.
Brisket: 8.5 - Brisket was also a little cold. the rub is similar to Franklins. I prefered John's brisket though.
Sausage: 8 - the sausage is pretty tasty but they only have a spicy version. it is a courser grind and a little greasy...but quite yummy.

Went back a few weeks later and this time the food was hot and so the ratings are better. Got there at about 10:50 this time and was 4th in line:

pork ribs: 9.5 - in a taste test I am not sure if I would be able to tell these apart from Franklins.
Beef Rib: 9.5 - as good of a beef rib as I have ever had.
sausage: 8.5 - a little better now that it was warm. but I think I a prefer Franklins.

Summary - This is some fine que. The pork ribs and brisket are on par with Franklins with the added bonus of having beef ribs and a much shorter wait in line. People do start showing up at 11 and the serving line is really slow so the line gets long in a hurry. By 11:30 the line is probably 30+ deep and at there serving pace about an hour +.
Cool...gonna have to try this...gonna be in A-Town tomorrow
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #806
Grandmaster
Adventurer

I am interested in hearing your review of the place. I hope the forecasted 40% chance of rain today stays away until you have a chance to get some que. I have read through most of this thread and have decided that we all seem to have varying opinions on what is good que.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Cool...gonna have to try this...gonna be in A-Town tomorrow
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #807
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
About a month ago I headed down S 1st here in Austin to get me some JMueller BBQ. When I rolled up, and much to my dismay, he was closed.
Nice review and the photos look good. Let me just clarify, this isn't the Mueller's in Taylor that is closed, is it?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #808
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,395
NOT Louie's

Nope....they said in Austin. Rest assured Louie Muellers is still open

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #809
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
I am interested in hearing your review of the place. I hope the forecasted 40% chance of rain today stays away until you have a chance to get some que. I have read through most of this thread and have decided that we all seem to have varying opinions on what is good que.
I am still at Lone Star does not look like I will get there today. Another trip.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #810
Grandmaster
Adventurer

No, as far as I know, Louie Mueller's in Taylor is still there. John Mueller is one of Louie's sons and I believe was a pitmaster there for a while before having a falling out with his father and going out on his own. So the que and style was very similar, but I think John smoked a better brisket than his brother who is running Louie's in Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Nice review and the photos look good. Let me just clarify, this isn't the Mueller's in Taylor that is closed, is it?