Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #11461
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Yeah Larry, your comments are exactly why those of us that live here keep posting our support for the country. You are, I'm afraid, the victim (and propogator) of the kind of misinformation that we locals hate. You are the poorer for it my friend.

Yes Mexicans head north, and millions of Americans who bother to learn the real situation head South.
High five each other as you pass at the border. I guess I value my future a little more than others. I love that Larry Guy. LOL
LarrytheDRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #11462
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Pirate, I didn't want to slam Larry too hard on the "half of Mexico" and the "free medical care" comment specifically since it all springs from the same well of ignorance, jingoism and, and the other words that will bring down the banhammer if used on this thread. Larry has a choice, keep his mind and his heart closed as Trice said or do the work, find the truth (a lot of which is in this thread in spite of Tyson, and our other attempts at humor) and experience the rich culture, the warm giving people and the fantastic sites sounds and tastes of Mexico and beyond. Or, as Sojord suggested, just go to Disneyland. But don't leave the park, evil lurks in the darkness outside the gates.
All I can say is keep paying those taxes so we can keep doing these great things for our neighbors down south. I am going to ride the hell out of Florida.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #11463
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Pirate, I didn't want to slam Larry too hard on the "half of Mexico" and the "free medical care" comment specifically since it all springs from the same well of ignorance, jingoism and, and the other words that will bring down the banhammer if used on this thread. Larry has a choice, keep his mind and his heart closed as Trice said or do the work, find the truth (a lot of which is in this thread in spite of Tyson, and our other attempts at humor) and experience the rich culture, the warm giving people and the fantastic sites sounds and tastes of Mexico and beyond. Or, as Sojord suggested, just go to Disneyland. But don't leave the park, evil lurks in the darkness outside the gates.
I was born and raised in Florida and have been riding almost 40 years. I can find fun a few hours from my home. Have not been to Disney in many years. They dont like motorcycles tearing up the grass.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #11464
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Not to denigrate your post, but here, you have no idea what you're talking about

As to your stance on not wanting to travel to Mexico at this time, as you yourself said:
I didnt know the mayor of tijuana road a dual sport. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #11465
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheDRguy View Post
High five each other as you pass at the border. I guess I value my future a little more than others. I love that Larry Guy. LOL
I love the numbers. They go up by 30% every time I hear them.

I don't pass the border; I live here. I'm also not American.

No one's encouraging you to come here, so far we've just asked you not to come here spouting your regurgitated drivel and maybe put off someone who has the sense to respect the opinion of those of us on the ground.

Nothing you've said has any basis in fact, and unlike other threads, your opinion is not only worthless, it's detrimental to others who are looking for real information to help them decide whether to visit.

There's no reason why you should try and prevent others who want to experience something different. Come or don't come. It's all the same to us.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #11466
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Free medical care? Half of Mexico? Where do you guys get this stuff?

A noob with only 2 posts and he's parroting the Florida Tourist Board propaganda of why bother traveling outside the USA when you can get mugged in Ybor City. Wonderful!

I get my info from the internet silly. Where do you get yours? More facts, 85,000 murders in past 6 years in Mexico.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #11467
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Larry do NOT go to Oregon! or Colorado or New York or ......
Book a three month expenses paid tour of Disneyland CA and Hershey PA
Do NOT go into downtown LA or downtown Hershey or downtown anywhere .....
Thanks for the heads up. I feel safer already. Dont do Disney. Maybe do the dragons tail instead.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #11468
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I love the numbers. They go up by 30% every time I hear them.

I don't pass the border; I live here. I'm also not American.

No one's encouraging you to come here, so far we've just asked you not to come here spouting your regurgitated drivel and maybe put off someone who has the sense to respect the opinion of those of us on the ground.

Nothing you've said has any basis in fact, and unlike other threads, your opinion is not only worthless, it's detrimental to others who are looking for real information to help them decide whether to visit.

There's no reason why you should try and prevent others who want to experience something different. Come or don't come. It's all the same to us.
If you keep your secret place to ride to yourself then it wont be so crowded when you go riding. Shhhhhhh.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #11469
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
The dragon' s tail? You mean the t- shirt shop along a road with some twists in it?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #11470
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,000
Larry, your number is way too low, 113 million dead in the last 2 weeks. Craneguy, MikeMike and I are the only ones left alive from the US border to all the way to Guatemala and Belize. Pretty grim, kind of lonesome. Lots of Dos Equis Amber and Sabritas though. I do hate do drink alone.

With all sincerity, I invited you to open your heart and your mind. You have decided not to. Your life is diminished, not by refusing to ride Mexico but by your closed mind and your blind dedication to false information.

Enjoy Florida, 318 miles, 11 curves.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #11471
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
If you keep your secret place to ride to yourself then it wont be so crowded when you go riding. Shhhhhhh.
You did read the origional post correct? To each his own. I did not say dont do it I said right now I would not be doing it.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #11472
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Larry, your number is way too low, 113 million dead in the last 2 weeks. Craneguy, MikeMike and I are the only ones left alive from the US border to all the way to Guatemala and Belize. Pretty grim, kind of lonesome. Lots of Dos Equis Amber and Sabritas though. I do hate do drink alone.

With all sincerity, I invited you to open your heart and your mind. You have decided not to. Your life is diminished, not by refusing to ride Mexico but by your closed mind and your blind dedication to false information.

And a few hills if you know where to look.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #11473
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I always find this mind set amusing. Same ole same ole. I have never been there, will never go there, but I have read or heard...... therefore, I know more about Mexico than any of you who live there and/or ride there on a daily/regular basis.

Personally, I think that they all should ride the hell out of Florida. Better for those of us who actually ride in Mexico. And I also believe that it is a personal decision as to whether or not anyone should or should not ride in Mexico. To each his own. What I still cannot understand, is why do they think that they can come on this forum and say "I read" or "I heard", therefore no one who rides in Mexico actually knows what they actually experienced while riding there? Are we all taking drugs before starting the bike and only riding in an illusion? Must be, because somebody "read" and somebody else "heard" and somebody else saw it on the internet, so it has to be true. Anyone with actual riding experience in Mexico is wrong.

As I said before, those that "read" should make their own risk assessment and ride the hell out of Florida. For those that want more than just riding Florida and are looking for more adventure, Mexico has a lot to offer. But each individual needs to make their decision based on FACTS and not HYPE.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #11474
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
I get my info from the internet silly. Where do you get yours? More facts, 85,000 murders in past 6 years in Mexico.
You actually made me google the subject. (by the way, in the first page of results I found estimates from 30,000 dead to 150,000. Very useful) Here's an interesting take from Lonely Planet, who I think we can agree are a pretty well respected and honest voice in the travel business:

Are Americans safer in Mexico than at home?
Robert Reid
Lonely Planet author

Every week or so I get asked,‘Is it safe to go to Mexico?’ I had always said, if you’re thoughtful about where you go, yes. But after my most recent trip there, I’m changing my answer… to a question:
Do you think it’s safe to go to Texas?
To be clear, violence in Mexico is no joke. There have been over 47,000 drug-related murders alone in the past five years. Its murder rate – 18 per 100,000 according to this United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime report – is more than three times the US rate of 4.8 per 100,000. Though Mexican tourism is starting to bounce back, Americans appear more reluctant to return than Canadians and Brits (5.7 million Americans visited in 2011, down 3% from 2010 – and, according to Expedia, more than four of five bookings were adults going without children). Many who don’t go cite violence as the reason.

What you don’t get from most reports in the US is statistical evidence that Americans are less likely to face violence on average in Mexico than at home, particularly when you zero in on Mexico’s most popular travel destinations. For example, the gateway to Disney World, Orlando, saw 7.5 murders per 100,000 residents in 2010 per the FBI; this is higher than Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, with rates of 1.83 and 5.9 respectively, per a Stanford University report (see data visualization here, summarized on this chart, page 21). Yet in March, the Texas Department of Public Safety advised against ‘spring break’ travel anywhere in Mexico, a country the size of the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy combined. Never mind that popular destinations like the Bahamas, Belize and Jamaica have far higher homicide rates (36, 42 and 52 per 100,000). Why the singular focus?
Before you nix Mexico altogether, consider these five things:
1. Mexico may be more dangerous than the US overall, but not for Americans.
According to FBI crime statistics, 4.8 Americans per 100,000 were murdered in the US in 2010. The US State Department reports that 120 Americans of the 5.7 million who visited Mexico last year were murdered, which is a rate of 2.1 of 100,000 visitors. Regardless of whether they were or weren’t connected to drug trafficking, which is often not clear, it’s less than half the US national rate.
2. Texans are twice as safe in Mexico, and three times safer than in Houston.
Looking at the numbers, it might be wise for Texans to ignore their Public Safety department’s advice against Mexico travel. Five per 100,000 Texans were homicide victims in 2010, per the FBI. Houston was worse, with 143 murders, or a rate of 6.8 – over three times the rate for Americans in Mexico.
3. And it’s not just Texas.
It’s interesting comparing each of the countries’ most dangerous cities. New Orleans, host city of next year’s Super Bowl, broke its own tourism record last year with 8 million visitors. Yet the Big Easy has ten times the US homicide rate, close to triple Mexico’s national rate.
Few go to Ciudad Juarez, a border town of 1.3 million that saw 8 to 11 murders a day in 2010 (accounts differ – CNN went with 8). It’s unlikely to ever be a tourism hostpot, but things have been quietly improving there. By 2011, CNN reported, the homicide rate dropped by 45%, and the first six weeks of this year saw an additional 57% drop, per this BBC story.
If that trend in Juarez continues all year, and it might not, the number of homicides would have dropped from over 3000 in 2010 to 710 in 2012. Meanwhile New Orleans’ homicide rate is increasing, up to 199 murders last year, equivalent to 736 in a city with the population of Juarez.
4. By the way, most of Mexico is not on the State Department’s travel warning.
The best of Mexico, in terms of travel, isn’t on the warning. The US warns against ‘non-essential travel’ to just four of Mexico’s 31 states (all in the north: Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango and Tamaulipas). The warning goes on to recommend against travel to select parts of other states, but not including many popular destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, the Riviera Nayarit, Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum.
Meanwhile, 13 states are fully free from the State Department’s warning, including Baja California Sur, Yucatan, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Guanajuato and others.
5. Malia Obama ignored the Texas advice.
Of all people, President Obama and first lady said ‘OK’ to their 13-year-old daughter’s spring break destination this year: Oaxaca. Then Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum made snide remarks over that, perhaps overlooking that Oaxaca state has a smaller body count from the drug war than his home state’s murder rate (Oaxaca’s 4.39 per 100,000 to Pennsylvania’s 5.2).
Oaxaca state, not on the US travel warning, is famed for its colonial city, Zapotec ruins and emerging beach destinations like Huatulco. Lonely Planet author Greg Benchwick even tried grasshoppers with the local mezcal (Malia apparently stuck with vanilla shakes.)
So, can you go to Mexico?
Yes. As the US State Department says, ‘millions of US citizens safely visit Mexico each year.’ Last year, when I took on the subject for CNN, one commenter suggested Lonely Planet was being paid to promote travel there. No we weren’t. We took on the subject simply because – as travelers so often know – there is another story beyond the perception back home, be it Vietnam welcoming Americans in the ’90s or Colombia’s dramatic safety improvements in the ’00s. And, equally as importantly, Mexico makes for some of the world’s greatest travel experiences – it’s honestly why I’m in this line of work.
So yes, you can go to Mexico, just as you can go to Texas, or New Orleans, or Orlando, or the Bahamas. It’s simply up to you to decide whether you want to.
Robert Reid is Lonely Planet’s New York–based US Travel Editor and has been going to Mexico since he was three (most recently to Chacala).

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/blog/201...#ixzz2Eym7KeCr

Craneguy screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 04:53 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #11475
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:

Sorry bud, it just ain't true. I was beheaded 3 weeks ago by a Narco that mistook me for an American. That'll teach me to wear a Hawaiian shirt and knee socks!

My lack of a head is quite possibly the reason for my poor typing. I feel I'm better off without it. I'd have whiplash by now I'd be shaking it so hard.

(and no smart remarks about talking out my ass! )